Steel batallion for reals (NSFW ads)

doesnt take its feet high enough off the ground though.

i wonder how hard it is to tip

Edit*changed location, no ads now

I do not think it takes its feet off the ground at all. It shuffles.

Its a neat toy I am sure you can impress people with at the grand opening of stores and whatnot, but it is far from impressive.

If this is just some guy who made this in his garage, kudos to him. If its a company who is trying to make a product they can market, they have a very long way to go.

Bipedal motion is very hard to do which is why when you see walking robots they have 4 or 6 legs. Aside from the mechanical problems of making a giant walking robot, we still have major control issues we can’t even solve.

It comes down to the fact that we can’t teach a computer how to walk even on 4 legs, let alone two. There certainly are interesting things going on in robotics labs that look good, but you need to remember that all the stuff these walking robots walk on are particular courses. If you put them in the real world and tell them to walk across a stretch of land that any animal can easily get across, they constantly get very confused and fall down. For example, you put your foot on a rock and start to step forward, but the rock rolls a little. Your foot auto-corrects for that and you do not even think about that, let alone notice. One of these walking robots will get very confused and have a tendancy to start flailing and fall over.

LIES!

Now all we need is a new planet to colonize!

As you saw from the link immediately following your post, your knowledge is a wee bit out of date. The ability to alter one’s path dynamically and deal with people pushing you about has been around for a while. The trick is, I don’t think try to program the knowledge of how to walk any more; they instead give it a bunch of input sensors, and teach it that way.

About that walking on two legs thing:
Sony’s contribution
This year’s CES demo
Two-legged robot wrestlers

Real Robo-Cop
(actually fake, but I still like it)