Steel Division: Normandy '44 - A Eugen/Paradox Joint

Even on Very Slow or Bullet Time? I’d agree things are too fast on Normal, but it has been very manageable when going to the slower speeds to assess and adjust orders.

I played most of my Red Dragon games on Very Slow unless I was waiting for stuff to happen. Unfortunately slowing the speed down isn’t an option in multiplayer where Eugen puts a solid 95% of their effort.

Ah, yes. I should have realized he was referring to MP.

Yes i ment mp, i play Coop with a friend who hates the speed

You can be old and right. ;) I will forever remain convinced RT and S are mutually exclusive enough for my tastes that I don’t consider any game featuring RT to have any S worthy of the name.

It’s why WEGO makes sense to me in the Combat Mission series. I get what I consider a proper mixture of control and lack thereof, I get to plan the next minute of battle at my leisure while simultaneously being forced to relinquish control once those orders are given, the next minute of battle plays out as it’s going to play out.

I agree, I want more strategy in my RTS games and the pace of the genre usually kills a lot of that for me. The Wargame series in particular I feel like I could enjoy a lot more if the pace were slowed in general.

It’s not even that I couldn’t “git gud” with the fast pace, it’s just uninteresting to me.

Old combat mission before they went all fanatical on the order of battle, and abandoned the multi-battle mp campaigns was awesome, I bought the second installment of normadie, but it was awful …

I was just using the CM series as an example of an effective game play mechanic (putting aside the rather long list of things Battlefront has done that show poor decision making).

Kind of like if i referenced Valkyrie Chronicles for their brilliant use of turn based combined with movement in their battles it wouldn’t necessarily mean I’m a fan of the anime art style they used (I hate it btw).

While i agree that wargame and steel division are too fast ( i think ‘slow’, is best) I dont think real time command is a bad thing per se. IRL the battle doesnt pause while you get your bearings. I found mastering the flow of wargame an exhilerating experience even though i am nowhere near ‘gud’ at it. I tend to ignore logistics and been known to sacrifice men just because I couldn’t be arsed to properly save them.

I think making it turn based would kill wargame/steel division as an MP game and it’s better the way it is. You have to go through really elaborate procedures to play CM in multiplayer whereas wargame is much much more accessible that way.

I’m bitter that there is no Mac port currently planned.

I love this post and it makes me want to play this game upon release.

In honor of Micheal Caine and that penultimate post, I played in "super slow time " (one up from bullet time) and started to have fun. I agree with the previous discussions on real-time and these wargame games but I have to think they have a nice sweet spot somewhere. Even for us Total War people. BTW, I got crushed even in slow time. or was it super slow time? I dunno my tanks were moving pretty slow…

Beta updated including a new map and two new divisions.

New Allied Division is the 2nd US Infantry Division which includes elite Ranger Infantry along with DD Shermans, DD M7 105mm self-propelled artillery, and DUKW amphibious trucks which can cross rivers in game. I hadn’t realized DD M7s were a real thing, but doing a google search suggests a amphibious kit was made for them.

New German Division is SS 17th Panzergrenadier Division. I’m not that familiar with the German order of battle, but the main thing I noticed about them is they have very few tanks (a total of 3 Panzer IVs available) but lots of StuG III and StuG IV Tank Destroyer / Assault Guns. They also have a lot of Nebelwerfer artillery.

I hadn’t seen any info on the campaign and went poking around to find what I could and found this developer post:

There will be 3 solo campaigns (US, German & UK).
If you’ve played our previous game, it will be more like the campaigns from European Escalation than any other.

Rather disappointed. Seems like a big step backwards. I just don’t find pre-scripted campaigns as engaging.

IRL the guy in charge of 50 tanks doesn’t also have to tell them all individually what to do!

Then stop trying to micro. Eugen unit AI is perfectly capable of turning front armor to threats and firing back. All you need to do is tell em ‘go there’.

Agreed. Obviously how people play the game differs, but of my three friends (warning: small sample size alert) who play Eugen games, they all prefer single player (or the co-op campaign in ALB) over the multiplayer fare.

Red Dragon sure had some pretty weak sea-based combat, but man, I would have shelled out for DLC that included additional campaigns. I’d even settle for campaigns that were meaningfully moddable.

My issue - IRL, I have a household to contend with and compete for my attention. I like RTS games, but they need the ability to pause.

You can add me to that small sample size. I also would greatly prefer pauseable ordering without bullet time (pause then see action okay out in normal time etc), vs. what they’re doing. Eugene keeps doing the same thing with the same crowd and it’s going to dimish their market as time goes on. They barely escaped with their company after Act of Agression.