Stellaris grand strategy space game by Paradox discussy thingy thready thingy

The patch will break the save. You can version lock the game via Steam if you start a campaign that you want to finish before upgrading to version 2.0.

How do you do this please? Thx

Steam>Library>Right-click Stellaris>Properties>Betas

There’s a drop-down menu that says “Select the beta you would like to opt into”. Once 2.0 releases on Thursday, change that drop-down menu to the most recent version you see there (it will be 1.9.1). It shouldn’t matter if Steam updates first, you can roll back once it’s patched.

Hm. Shoot. Okay.

I guess I’ll wait until the weekend before firing it up again.

That’s great thanks

I believe you can more easily just disable automatic updates to the game.

That’s definitely easier, but Steam often likes to forget that setting! At least it used to do it to me with some frequency, much to my chagrin. :)

I had assumed that meant that the game would update the next time I started it up…

Yeah, but it can’t update while you are playing it.

Really though, if you have a game going now you want to wrap up, you better just wrap it up by Thursday, because you can’t really stop Steam from updating your games for long. Why wouldn’t you want the 2.0 update?

Watched that YouTube video and I want to go to there.

Question, I installed this today having received it from a humble monthly last year, I am playing the tutorial. It is almost 4 hours now, does the tutorial ever end? :)

I think I have the basics down , but am not sure if I should work toward the remaining goals in the log, or start a new game from scratch.

Probably this. I seem to recall the tutorial not having a very graceful ending but I could be thinking of another game, so not sure. Either way, unless you are married to the game in progress, I’d start a new one.

It’s been awhile for me as well, but isn’t the tutorial just a regular game with the robot thing also giving you goals? You can pretty much ignore it if you want to.

That hasn’t worked for years, it still updates when you launch. Although, PDX games are DRM free, so you can just start the .exe

Also, yes, the tutorial is just a normal game with hints on.

Since I’m such a noob, what makes the Apocalypse DLC so exciting? Is it because it’s new content, or is there something(s) in it that are especially appealing?

Not true. I kept version 1.9 of EU IV for 2 years so I could finish a campaign.

And I have proof!

But you need to do the ‘set it to beta’ thing @KevinC mentioned. But it will 100% Work.

I think people are more excited about the free patch that comes with it.

A lot of game systems are being shaken up in the free update. With any luck, a number of annoyances from release have been addressed. I guess Thursday/Friday though will tell the full story.

Ah, ok. Then good reminder to hold off to learn/play this for a few days (I thought 2.0 had already gone live).

Watched a bunch of videos last night and really liked what I saw. Especially:

The new outpost/starbase mechanics for claiming systems

The new FTL system. You have to actually traverse a system to get to the next hyperlane point

You can have multiple “shipyards” on one starbase so that thry really are a shipyard.

The ion cannon can apparently one shot a battleship

*Also learned that nebulae have a better chance to have strategic resources. I did not know that even after 250 hours of playtime. :)