Stellaris grand strategy space game by Paradox discussy thingy thready thingy

They do make for a fun evil empire kind of thing. As long as you are prepared for them.

Yeah I dig em. Calling me alien scum. Their banner behind the spokes-thing has collection of xeno skulls in it. Pretty cool. :)

According to the forums, processing pops isn’t currently giving any of the resources it is supposed to give. This mostly impacts Devouring Swarms and Determined Exterminators because they have no other options than to eat conquered pops. So the conquered pops just sit there for X years instead of giving a bunch of food/energy. I haven’t bothered to actually try it, but Paradox did mention it’ll be fixed in a hotfix this coming week, so I’m assuming it is an actual bug.

I haven’t played since probably 1.1 or 1.2. I picked Utopia on sale the other day, but that is the only other expansion.

It sounds like 2.0 is an improvement are there enough bugs that hotfix is necessary to before I fire it up?

Not that I’m aware of. I’ve gotten pretty far into the midgame and haven’t run into any issues.

-Tom

3 civilizations have territory connected to mine: determined exterminator robots, fanatical purifier rats, and evangelical zealot mushrooms. Not a very friendly corner of the galaxy.

I purchased the expansion and played a few hours with it. While I appreciate some of the new features and functionality, the pace of the game seems slow now. I am constantly running low on minerals because I have to pay 100 minerals to expand to any new system. My fleet size seems artificially low with under 100 ships even after many starbase bumps. Research is taking far longer than it was and this is with a civilization with massive bonuses to research.

The universe is not filling out quickly either. If you wind up next to one of those marauder civilizations it will literally be hundreds of years before you are able to do anything about it.

It all seems a bit glacial.

There are enough bugs that you shouldn’t play in ironman and should keep a few autosaves around, but other than the eating pops bug, everything seems non-game-breaking. War weariness needs a touch up for edge cases, though.

Is anyone else seeing AI behaviour with regards to expansion being strange?

In my first game, half the galaxy was left unclaimed, and my own sector stopped founding colonies upon hitting 26 planet size.

Playing my first game after buying it and Utopia, upgraded to 2.0, but no Apocalypse. Have to say it’s a lot of fun. Did not play pre 2.0 and the current pace of expansion feels fine to me. Just started setting up my first colony and we have run into one space faring alien race that seems friendly so far. The game definitely has that “one more turn” feel to it for me even though it’s not turn based. Every time I get ready to pause and save to take a break I see something about to complete or be explored and I want to play a little longer before stopping.

The pacing is definitely slower. The game feels a bit more EUIV-paced now, which may be a blessing or a curse based on your preference. Personally I like it, even if I do think sublight travel speeds are probably a bit too low.

If you need fleet cap, you can easily and cheaply get 36 fleet cap per starbase with 6 anchorages and whatever the building the buffs them from +4 to +6 is. I had quite a number of starbases whose only function was as anchorages.

You can also change research speed at game creation if you feel that is too slow, though if you do that you should definitely consider buffing Crisis Strength as well unless you don’t really want the Crisis to be threatening. Having even +25% more techs when they show up would put you well into a number of repeatable techs that buff fleet strength that you wouldn’t otherwise have.

As far as the Galaxy filling out too slowly, you can play on a smaller galaxy and/or add more AI opponents. I imagine a 400 star galaxy with max AI opponents doesn’t take long to fill.

In any case, the community seems pretty torn about the pace. I imagine in the next few weeks we’ll see some tweaking done to make it a bit faster as a sort of compromise, which is fine by me.

In my current 600 star 10 AI empires game it’s 2300 and most of the galaxy is claimed. There does seem to be a phase in the middle of the first century where the AI’s try to consolidate and keep on the tech/unity power curve because the more you expand the bigger the penalty. I didn’t mind sometimes because it’s nice to have a neutral zone of a sort.

RNG is really big though with this game which for me is a rather attractive feature. Some starts are epic and some are just doomed to failure.

You do need to roll with the punches though. Even losing a bunch of wars usually can be recoverable. I’ve been raided by the Khans a bunch of times and rebuilt. I would like to know who has 3000 energy credits to spend to torment me though :) I’m betting they will nerf that a bit.

This game is about the story and not winning or losing for me at least.

Funny you mention that, in my game I had infinite energy but minerals were an enormous bottleneck.

It was you! :)

Also the forced White Peace thing will bet balanced soon I bet. War weariness needs a serious look at.

I think it’s intentional that minerals are the real bottleneck, that’s why they added the new Matter Replicator building that turns 50 energy into 30 minerals/month. Only 45 energy if you have Prosperity traditions, which is a way better conversion than the Merchant Enclaves will give you.

Heheheh. Had I been playing, it would’ve been.

Does anyone know how to turn off Marauders? I keep reading that you can turn them off in the settings but I’m not seeing it anywhere.

If I haven’t touched this in forever, is just updating to 2.0 sufficient, or are there essential expansions and DLC?

I think this is a huge improvement to the game. War is much more interesting now, operating on multiple fronts. This addresses one of my big problems with the game.

Unfortunately, it remains that the only real way you interact with other empires is via war. I’m hopeful they address this next. As it is, I’ve played up to getting battleships and particle lances, and haven’t interacted at all with other empires beyond trading their minerals for my energy.

Yes I think 2.0 is sufficient. Utopia’s nice if you want most of the ascension perks and mega structures. I just got Synthetic Dawn so I could play a machine empire, with I think was worth the money.