Stellaris grand strategy space game by Paradox discussy thingy thready thingy

And those mushroom fucks.

Welp, to follow up on my Stars in Shadow excursion, I just indeed had a minor faction offer me slaves. So it goes, I guess.

Since Sweden isn’t in Stellaris I think they are going to treat the various races evenly…

Traditional Westerns come to mind…

But, yeah, given that games use conflict as the primary gameplay verb, a galactic scale in which each faction is its own race is going to necessarily imply genocide. That’s just a factor of the scale and not necessarily a design intent.

-Tom

Paradox Development Studio has gone out of their way to be socially progressive in many cases, such as the gender equality laws in Crusader Kings 2, the free Women in History DLC for Europa Universalis IV, making technology bonuses in EUIV less Euro-centric, and letting you recruit Amelia Earhart into the Army Air Force in Hearts of Iron IV.

The nationalistic following is there simply because these games focus on history, which allows the player to escape into a time when the Overton window encompassed a different space.

As an aside, I have to give props to Paradox for writing a blog post that has seemingly “triggered” both the left and the right.

I am not exactly blaming Paradox for this weirdo following that pollutes their forums, only that… they can’t possibly think they would release these options and not run into them so maybe have a plan to deal with it? I mean the Aryian race that was created for this game created a weirdo thing already. So second time with this game.

As for them going grimdark with their games or giving the ability to do that, and I know there are a lot of RPing types in the CK, EU and not Stellaris universe. I say they go for it, but it sure would be nice if they offered these features and told this other group to take a hike.

You mean the movies they don’t really show anymore? The last Western I saw had a bunch of diverse guys defending a town not mowing down the natives. I guess I should have said… modern. I mean even the cheesy ones tend to portray genocide as bad. And when the bad guys are stars, we typically still know they’re bad.

And in their space game, no less. You’d think EU4, Victoria, or Hearts of Iron would be ripe for this sort of thing. But nope, it’s the thought of allowing fungus bros to live under your porch that ends up providing the fuel to the fire.

I mean, sure they’re fun guys, but you have to admit that the idea of equal rights in everything is mushrooming out of control here. The very thought of it fills in my fibers and I grow turgid. Or perhaps that was the Juffo-Wup.

I’m guessing it wasn’t Bone Tomahawk then.

[quote=“Nesrie, post:2866, topic:77250, full:true”]I am not exactly blaming Paradox for this weirdo following that pollutes their forums, only that… they can’t possibly think they would release these options and not run into them so maybe have a plan to deal with it? I mean the Aryian race that was created for this game created a weirdo thing already. So second time with this game.
[/quote]

What can Paradox do beyond ensure their games aren’t racist, ensure racist mods don’t appear on steam workshop, and ensure racism isn’t tolerated on their forums. As far as I know they do all of these things?

The Aryan Race mod followed by a bunch of eew I don’t want niggers in my game posts on the forums (including Steam) when it was pulled probably could have been handled… better. Some of those posts are still there.

[quote=“Nesrie, post:2871, topic:77250, full:true”]The Aryan Race mod followed by a bunch of eew I don’t want niggers in my game posts on the forums (including Steam) when it was pulled probably could have been handled… better. Some of those posts are still there.
[/quote]

Can you link to any posts in the official forums? Genuinely interested as my experience has been that their forums are heavily moderated for these types of things (even if it is full of whingers).

How could the incident have been handled better? Did they leave the mod up for a long time?

I think the one I am specifically thinking about is still on the Steam forum. I thought they had control of those, or at least I’ve seen mostly smaller devs moderate the hell out of the steam forums before.

If I recall correctly, they had the mod removed and called it discrimination. Because they used the word discrimination which is kind of weak vs calling it outright racists, there were all these discussions about it not being discriminatory just historical and European based. Then the mod came back under a different name.

The COO also said it wasn’t the mod but the comments about the Mod that were the problem… it was just kind of weird. Like it’s okay to think of the human race as only white so long as you talk nice about it? And then it was left up a long time because the mod creator himself wasn’t fueling the fire…except he was egging people on at other venues. It was a mess.

The really vile stuff was on Steam forums (black on white rape,antisemitism, the whole works).

This guy/gal actually stated the problem pretty well at the time: Do racebaiters get Permabanned?(READ BEFORE YOU COMMENT) :: Stellaris General Discussions

Paradox wasn’t at fault for it, still isn’t but… they can’t possibly say they didn’t see a repeat coming. It happened before.

New dev diary introduces orbital habitats. Basically smallish artificial worlds that you can build in orbit of existing (uninhabitable) worlds in your systems. This is a paid feature and you need to take the ‘Voidborn’ ascension perk to access it, so it’s not an early-game thing.

More options of building Tall are always appreciated in a game like this. I wonder what other cool mechanics are locked behind different Ascendancy perks?

I’m curious what next week’s dev diary is going to be about. I wonder if it’s a huge feature or if it’s a play on words.

I’ll lean towards a play on words. Maybe super-huge ship classes?

That’s a really good guess. I could see them adding a new dreadnought/titan classification, or massive space stations or something.

I’ve had a deep infatuation with supercarrier/titan-class stuff ever since I read the. . . 4th???. . . Wing Commander novel.

(look, I was too uncoordinated and bad at getting DOS shit to run to play the WC games proper except for Prophecy, but I devoured those fucking books. William R. Forstchen ftw!)

Maybe they’re finally going to do something with the missing galactic core? Currently every galaxy is like a jelly doughnut where someone sucked out all the jelly. That would be pretty big.

When it first came out, I actually ended up with a ship in the galactic core, and I couldn’t move it out. I’m not sure how it ended up there, but all the sudden it was sitting in the middle of the galaxy in that cloud and unable to do anything. It would be nice if they did something with the core.