Stellaris grand strategy space game by Paradox discussy thingy thready thingy

No, they didn’t.

The internet making wild assumptions about something they know nothing about and then freaking out? Say it ain’t so!

So in my current long-running game, I think War Exhaustion is broken (again?). I’m overwhelming another empire but my WE is MUCH higher than him. When I look at the details… it shows he hasn’t taken any army casualties.

Unless this is somehow related to a mod I’m using, this appears to be a show stopper.

Tomorrow’s patch notes are going to be interesting, for sure.

I haven’t heard of that issue, but I haven’t played myself since the latest small update.

I’ve haven’t encountered any WE bugs this patch and I’ve played it a fair bit. I’d say there’s a reasonable chance it might be a mod. Unless you are just losing tons of armies in ground assaults or something, that will drive your WE way up. In that case you might need to bombard longer before you invade. Barring that though, it sounds like either an extremely obscure bug or something mod related.

I’m going to try to upload a pic… first time here.

I’ve won every single army battle - I normally arrive with 3-5x the number of armies and win them. I do take casualties, but always inflict plenty too. This shows I haven’t killed any, which does not make sense to me.

The only functional mods I have (which I just added) are Glavius AI and Enhanced AI).

WE seems a bit odd in my recent experience. E.g. your opponent has a giant starbase, and your awesome fleet destroys the starbase while only losing a few corvettes. In that case your opponent would get 0% WE, while you would get ~2% WE for losing your corvettes. So only some units count for WE, while more “default” or immobile units aren’t counted at all. At a guess, that is what is happening with your armies. The defending armies are these weird default units generated by the colony, and so they aren’t counted for WE. While the attacking units that you lost are being counted for WE.

That is what I suspected, but this is my second war against these guys and I did not have this ‘problem’ during the last war. I’m suspecting some bug introduced with a more recent patch, but I guess I will try to disable mods and restore from an earlier save and try again…

I would have expected to hear complaints on /r/stellaris if it was a widespread or common bug. I’d be suspicious of the mods.

Distant Stars story pack and the Niven update are out today.

Really like having to explore the map to uncover the hyperlane connections.

I did start a game and played first 10 years or so and did not have 2 other habitable planets of my chose type nearby. I wonder if they have changed that starting condition?

Big rework to anomalies, and very nice. Your precious science ship with your 5-star scientist won’t explode anymore if it fails.

Lots and lots and lots of new anomalies, which is great. Exploration is one of their strong areas, so it’s good to see it get an injection of new content.

Wish I had time to play right now! I need more impressions so I can enjoy vicariously.

I hope they actually go further in their tile revamp and separate resources from industry. Might as well swing for the fences.

That’s great to hear! Exploration and the narrative bits with anomalies were my favorite part of the game, and the one thing really keeping me from returning to it was that I’d become familiar with all of them.

Guess I know what I’ll be doing over the holiday weekend.

Yeah, the first third, e.g. exploration was and still is the best part of the game. The hiding of the lanes adds to the unknown element and stops immediate sector grabbing towards choke points. Definite improvements in the early game, it’s the final two thirds that still disappoint.

There is definitely quite a bit of review angst on Steam, is any of it credible? Most of it seems to be unhappy with ‘changes’.

Well, some people are very annoyed about getting rid of other FTL methods and future removal of planetary tetris, while the chinese like to review bomb games with no translation, promised or otherwise.
Of course, the AI still needs mods and another major patch broke some stuff on release, so it’s far from all roses.

Bugs have been serious since 2.0.x, especially related to AI. My review was switched to negative as a result. In a strategy game a functional (not good) AI seems like a reasonable baseline expectation.

From what I’ve read on Reddit and elsewhere, there are still serious bugs. I’m tired of PDX thinking they can get away with zero QA.