Stellaris grand strategy space game by Paradox discussy thingy thready thingy

C’mon, it’ll be great. Command and Conquer was AWESOME on the Playstation, right? RIGHT?

Update on the 1.7 situation: It seems to be a case of them needing to start somewhere, so I guess that could’ve been when the port began? https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1031545512376393729

Did we know this was coming to Xbox One and PS4 soon? I didn’t know.

I’m curious behind the market research of this because they obviously must have done some, right? I don’t doubt that there will be some people to enjoy this on xbox/ps4 but I’m still very sceptic about there being a real audience, especially if your console version is that far behind, not to mention the whole no mods thing on consoles.

Both Surviving Mars and Cities Skylines seem to be selling pretty well on console. Cities is included in the Xbox Game Pass now (sans DLC). I suspect the market may be small but big enough to justify the cost of development.

PS4 allows developers to support keyboard and mouse if they choose. Microsoft has publicly acknowledged they will be rolling out keyboard and mouse support “soon”. I doubt controller support can be skipped entirely but this offers an out for a mediocre controller experience.

Those of us who read the thread before posting knew. :-p

Keyboard and mouse would help, but everything would have to be adjusted to the fact that you’re sitting 10 feet or further from the screen. And it’s one things in Cities where you’re talking about city blocks and big buildings, but the fundamental unit in Stellaris are stars that appears as colored dots on a monitor.

It can be done, but I’m just sorta flummoxed by this decision.

I’m more confused by the base game being 1.7 versus at least 2.0. I’d rather they delay the game.

Not sure that matters. They are going for console gamers looking for something different who probably know little about the game already. Maybe they want some of us to double dip, but I doubt that’s many people when you think about how expensive these games get with DLC.

Seems to me they are testing the market with a popular, easy to get into game.

I kind of expected that. There’s money in consoles and Paradox wants that too. I don’t think Stellaris is the right choice, but it’s probably the most console-friendly PDS game at this time.

Battletech (with a new UI) would be a much better fit, since we’ve had Front Mission on console forever (and the order loop -move, face, target, shoot- is already made for consoles I think).

Seeing the Stellaris XBox interface screenshots on Twitter makes me wonder about usability. Everything seems like will take 2 to 10 times the time it does with K/M. With how long the game already is, we are looking at some veeery long playing times.

I’ve played on a TV using Steam Link with controller. It’s very doable but required a lot of control tweaking first via Steam’s interface. I believe it could be quite smooth with PDS developing the right shortcuts/on screen feedback.

Whole very playable, it does make me worry about how this will fuel future design decisions. Seems naive to assume it wouldn’t feed into the process.

I searched the thread for Xbox before posting, no results. I wouldn’t be caught dead reading it.

I’m impressed as hell also. It is hard as hell to take stuff out of game. What’s that Sid Meir quote about minimize the stuff in a design?. Everytime, I’ve brainstormed a 4x space game with friends, we end up with the kitchen sink approach that Stellaris and MOO3, and SOTS 2 ended up with.

It is really a pity that Firaxis doesn’t take this approach with Civilization.

I wonder if there was a meeting at some point where they had to get management on board with the plan to overhaul the game to this extent. It would be interesting to see the arguments put forth.

I kind of think the options were to walk away from Stellaris relatively early and push for an early sequel, or do the big overhaul. But going with an early (for Paradox) sequel would have stood out quite a bit, and maybe they figured they wouldn’t get people to re-up for Stellaris 2 if the first one was disappointing. They also would have had data that far-reaching changes in other games were well-received.

I think most studios would have walked away (the game sold well, so it’s not like it would have been at a huge loss) and started Stellaris 2. I think a lot of people on Qt3 would have preferred that approach, as it’s more traditional and how things are “supposed to be done”.

I think Paradox has a lot of confidence in their long-term development model. Personally, I think this approach is better. Those people that were turned off by Stellaris keep getting a significantly improved game years after initial release, instead of being asked to shell out another $40-$60 to a sequel for a game they didn’t care much for. This way, they can continue to try out the improved game at their leisure and if they find they enjoy the game now, there’s some neat expansions to buy.

And of course for people like me who enjoyed 1.0 despite it’s flaws, it’s been great to have the game evolve and improve without throwing the baby out with the bath water.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-122-planetary-rework-part-2-of-4.1115992/

Also this:

This sounds sooo much better than the boring tile system. Can’t wait.

It seems very slick.

My only worry is the way immigration is handled. Hopefully they end up favouring immigration of pops connected to the distribution of jobs on the planet. It seems like it will go a good job of automatically matching up pops on the planet with jobs that they are good at, but not clear whether pops will move to planets with jobs that they are good at.