Stellaris grand strategy space game by Paradox discussy thingy thready thingy

No, it goes back to 2.1.x or thereabouts. The pre-planet economy rework is gone. It used to be available to console players for a lot longer just because the console versions were so far behind.

This is on sale during the Lunar Sale at green man gaming. The standard edition is $8.20 and the Galaxy Edition is $10.25, both 79% off. Am I correct that the Galaxy Edition doesn’t offer anything but cosmetic stuff or is the AI improved over the standard edition?

Galaxy Edition is this:

All cosmetics.

Wait, there’s a Stellaris novel?

What do you mean by default story?

There are quite a few origins, and these can drastically effect the early game experience. Playing as a clone army or necrophages offer a fairly different playstyle than the standard Prosperous Unification start.

The first contact experience, and the random first contacts you run into (space amoeba, space whales, ancient drones, etc.) are all fixed and most have been around since 1.0. Of course, the other races you run into are random, but follow specific patterns. There are nice federation builders, xenophobic assholes, evangelizing zealots, killbots, etc. You’ll run into a different mix of these each game, and they can give a pretty different character to each game.

There is a lot of new mid-game content that was added with the expansions. Federations and diplomacy were improved, so you can try building one of those as an alternative to just killing everyone in the galaxy. Or you can become the crisis yourself, which is pretty fun to do at least once.

For replayability, I’d recommend creating a few factions of your own, rather than using the defaults. You can create some interesting thematic variations like these:

A Lithoid clone army created as the galaxy’s most fearsome shock troopers.

Virtually undying reanimator parasite necrophages, growing in number as they conquer and convert the unwilling to their cause.

A nefarious criminal syndicate that uses indentured servants as a workforce.

Etc., etc.

I decided to add UI Overhaul Dynamic + Tiny Outliner v2 to my Stellaris and it crashes the game every time in every condition. I guess I’ll go back to the UI Overhaul 1080p :(

Thanks for your reply. I meant the precursor artifacts I had to uncover. In my game, they related to a pandemic. I found it interesting. It sounds like there are different precursor storylines?

I do like the idea of creating a custom race. I’ll try that. Thanks for the examples!

I think I’ll bump up the difficulty for my next game. Maybe try one of those scaling difficulties. I’m steadily rising in the victory screen and I haven’t fired a shot. Then again, I did choose the UN of earth, with lots of diplomacy buffs.

If you agree with something other related to the GDPR that they aren’t updating old versions for, use beta password oldstellaris and older versions will appear.

There’s about 6, as far as I recall.

Scaling difficulty actually makes the game decidedly easier because the AI buffs start at 0% and gradually increase as the game goes on up to the maximum amount allowed for their difficulty.

Non-scaling they just get the full buffs the entire time. I’d say that scaling Grand Admiral is easier than non-scaling Commodore.

edit: Because the game is all about snowballing, having the buffs early is far more relevant than having them later.

Oh! In that case maybe I’ll just try Captain or Commodore. Thanks.

np, it’s actually a pretty unintuitive way to name the mechanic because the term scaling makes my brain think, ah it will get harder. And while it does, the name doesn’t imply to ME that it will make the game start at Novice difficulty (or whatever the lowest is)

Oh, wow, the real Stellaris is back again! I might actually find time to play it again now.

Wow, I’m having so much fun with this. Almost to 2300, upgrading my battleships, terraforming, learning exotic techs, tinkering with my economy, and playing on fast now that the expansion phase is over. I’m thinking it’s time for more DLC. I have Utopia but nothing else. Leviathan next?

I’d recommend taking a look at this to see what strikes your fancy:

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Downloadable_content

The expansions (Utopia, Megacorp, etc.) tend have a larger impact then the story packs do (Leviathans, Distant Stars) but the latter are priced accordingly. The story packs are more about flavor, the expansions add mechanics.

I’ve found the species packs to be worth it if that particular type of race sounds fun (plants, rocks, etc.) Lithoids, Necroids, robots, their economies are all pretty different.

Thanks for those suggestions. I’m interested in both flavor and mechanics, so maybe I’ll sample some DLC from both categories. And a plant species sounds fun. I’ve watched a bit of Quill18’s “Holy Romaine Empire” and found it quite funny. He’s got quite the salad going.

My current game is still lots of fun. I got the achievement for having an alien rule my empire. A bird immigrant somehow rose to prominence and won my election, lol. Also, a neighboring robotic race invited me into a Federation for a while, but they got annoyed with me for refusing to declare war on a neighbor. They also didn’t like that I supported inviting a third race to join the Federation. Eventually they left the Federation in a huff. It all made me laugh!

I’ve been playing on Fastest for a while, and I’m now up to 2340 or so. I wonder if I’m pausing too much, because other folks seem to finish games quicker than I am. Here’s a look from a few years ago, when I was still in the Federation. I’m the United Nations of Earth, at bottom.

Has anyone tried the beta? I’m interested in the unification changes but won’t have time until Sunday.

TIL: anomaly research difficulty has nothing to do with chance of success, only duration of the project?

The last time I played, anomalies didn’t have a failure chance. You could either research them or not. Also your science officer level vs the anomaly level determined research speed. Did this change?

It changed, but it changed to the system you’re describing, DeepT. Anomalies used to have a failure chance based on difficulty but they changed it to taking increased time for your science ship. A much better system, IMO.

I play Stellaris like I played Distant Worlds - pausing so often you’d almost think it was a TBS. The idea is you play the game the way you most like playing it.