Step Up 3-D

Spirit fingers!

Also, this is not a cheerocracy.

“Bring It On” is fucking awesome and I say that as a 32-year-old jackeen from Tallaght. I’m biased though because I’d totally stalk Kirsten Dunst if I lived in the US.

Maybe they rushed this because they are afraid to get the crown stolen by Boogie Town.

What is that, exactly?

Two Googles say:

They are out there…and more being done.

And Jake Plane is so ready for them.

As rhinohelix just desmonstrated, about as far removed from the American cheerleading scene as it’s possible to get. Well, you could get further I suppose. Anyway, point is, I love ‘Bring It On’ despite not being predisposed to the subject matter. Also, just because something is a genre piece (sports underdog movie in this instance, though that may be arguable - don’t they establish early on that Dunst’s cheerleaders are actually pretty good?) doesn’t mean it can’t transcend its genre or be a shining example of said genre.

That said, the Step Up movies are kinda dumb but they’re benign and kind of enjoyable if you’re in the mood for something that isn’t taxing and is actually a little preposterous.

“Bring It On” is the “The Natural” of cheerleader movies.

I didn’t feel that the character of Carlos had his motivations adequately explained, and there wasn’t a conclusion to his character arch.

So I was dragged to go see this by my sister, and you know what? While they did do that stupid gimicky reaching straight for the camera gimick way too often, and there were a few times where the dancers looked like they were completely CGed, the 3d did actually add to the dancing. Of course, everything but the dancing was even worse than the 2nd one, much less the first.