Stephen King calls it quits!

Or so says the cover from Entertainment Weekly. I hate it personally, but what can you do. He just looks tired. You evil, evil detractors have driven him from the business!! :wink: I hope you are all happy now! :cry:

I think I heard him say, “You won’t have Stephen King to kick around anymore.” However, instead of holding up the two fingers in a peace signs as he exits, King is holding up the pinkly, index finger, and thumb in two devil signs. :twisted:

http://www.stephenking.com/rumors.html?

Yeah, but that’s dated 3/27/02. Which is also my 1 year old daughter’s birthday…wierd.

It was announced on the news the other day, but I’m pretty sure that’s old news as I remember discussing it with a friend (who’s a big King fan) awhile back. As long as he finishes Dark Tower I’m happy with that … I think King realizes his horror stuff just isn’t doing it any more, and Dark Tower is kind of refreshing. And fantasy.

I think he’ll probably still help produce or write some movies, though.

— Alan

From what I’ve read about the man, he can’t stop writing. Not even rehabilitation could stop him. My only problem with King is that he needs to stop publishing so much. He’s a solid writer. Maybe the best genre writer today, but he needs to cook things a bit more. He’ll quit, but he’ll keep writing. Hopefully that’ll prompt him to finally take his time and craft something truly great.

It’s not in him. He could take 50 years to work on the successor to From a Buick 8 and the end result would still be the same old timekiller crap that people leave behind in laundromats. King himself described himself as the literary version of McDonald’s, and he was dead on there.

Have to agree with Brent here; humanity will just have to miss out on the latest developments in the Killer Housewares series.

Brent who? :wink:

I still liked Dreamcatcher. :P

The only book of him that I’ve read is Dolores Claiborne. While it didn’t strike me as a masterpiece, I did like the language (I read it in English), and the story was pretty well told. It was better than I expected, or in other words: it was better than a Big Mac.

Slate or Salon had something about this several months ago. He had 5-6 projects he was committed to finish and then he said that was it.

I like a lot of his books, but they’re not enduring works.

If he feels tapped out in horror, I wonder why he just doesn’t try something else? Why not write some hardboiled stuff, or jump into sci-fi?

Dragon’s Eye was actually the first book I read of his way back in high school. While I do not know if it would stand up well now, I thought it was decent fantasy at the time. Wizard and Glass was almost a love story and he has written much that is not straight horror. It’s strange that he has not at least tried more strictly sci-fi and/or fantasy stuff. Maybe someone from his fansite boards knows.

Dark Tower is more fantasy than everything else, which is why I’m happy to see he’s concluding it with a bunch more books. 3 at least.

— Alan

I think the man deserves a great deal of respect and credit, if for no other reason than his astounding commercial success. He’s the best-selling novelist of all time (with around 270 million copies sold) and he’s done it in a marginalized genre. Clearly he’s been doing something right.

Most likely, this will end up being the final nail in the horror genre’s coffin. Most publishers no longer publish (or market) “straight horror” and with the genre’s tent pole packing it in, there’s not much incentive for anyone else to carry on the torch.

According to Guinness Book of Records:
“The world’s best-selling fiction writer is Dame Agatha Christie (née Miller, later Lady Mallowan, 1890–1976), whose 78 crime novels have sold an estimated 2 billion copies in 44 languages.”

There are exactly three more books, two of which are already completed (but not set to release until 2003 and 2004). I read the article, being King’s NUMBER ONE FAN and he mentioned that he will continue to write, likely will until the day he dies, but after the final Dark Tower book, he is done with publishing (he makes a comparison to JD Salinger who supposedly drops off a manuscript into a safe deposit box once a year). That means we will likely see SOME writings by him after his death, though one hopes it won’t be for a long time.
Oh, and useless trivia, though King nearly died in the accident, he has managed to outlive the guy who hit him.

Although I personally think the Gunslinger is the best book King has written, and I also very much like The two following books, I dread the rest of the series. His writing has been heading south pretty rapidly since he started the DT series, and the latest book (The Wizard and the Glass) was pretty mediocre. I hate the way he has become attached to the idea of weaving all of his various stories together in some big, weird comic-book style crossover (I expect his next subtitle to scream “Cujo vs. Randall Flagg: Superpower Showdown in Derry!”). It’s one thing if you’ve come up with some sort of mythos and decide to write a series of books that draw upon it (like Lovecraft, or Anne McCaffrey); another thing altogether to create the mythos after the fact. King currently seems bent on hobbling together some sort of Frankenstein’s monster of all his past work.

Worse still, his recent sequel to the Talisman dipped pretty heavily into the Gunslinger mythos, and it was awful. I love the Talisman–another of my favorite King books–but I couldn’t even finish the The Black House. I put it down in disgust a little over halfway through, and I almost never do that with any book that I’ve actually started. It’s a prime example of how utterly he has lost all grasp over the elements that make his stories (or that used to make his stories) good.

I thought it was pretty interesting until I realized he will never ever bring it all together. The Crimson King vs. Monster Island was rumored to be the big final battle novel. :wink:

Oh the dude died? Not surprising, really… having read King’s description of him and the accident in On Writing, it’s rather funny, in a way. King didn’t seem to think of him one way or another, other than being a homey-kind of guy.

— Alan

The EW article makes much of King relating an Urban Legend that suggests JD Salinger has been, yearly, delivering an 8x10 box to a Safety Deposit Box in a bank. The story says the teller asked him if they were books and he answered, “yes”. She asked “Why don’t you publish them” and he said “Why should I?”

Then King claims he is going to continue his 9am to 1pm daily writing schedule. How much do you want to bet there’s going to be a FLOOD of wild and crazy King novels published soon after his death?

After reading Bag of Bones (not a good, but an interesting, book) I believe this. The author protagonist gets a bad case of block and lives for years on old stuff he tucked away and didn’t publish. King makes much of the insane demands a publisher places on a successful writing to produce, constantly. King strikes me as an “aims to please” kind of guy… maybe the only way he feels he can get a break is to dramatically quit.

I’ve never read King, though I’ve liked some of the movies based on his novels. I’ve recently read some nice things about his most recent book of short stories, and wonder if folks here would recommend it.

Peter