Stephen King's IT reboot - Cary Fukunaga takes on Pennywise

I remember I liked Tommyknockers when I read it, but I remember very little about it. I do recall losing interest in It and forcing myself to finish the book, much as I did with The Stand - both started strong and limped to the finish line, in my opinion.

But then I liked Cell, so my opinion is probably questionable at best.

Yikes! I’ve got goosebumps. Knowing that story inside and out still didn’t shield me from the creepiness of that trailer. OK, studio. You win.

Okay, so the only thing I know about It is that Tim Curry played a killer klown from space in the TV show based on the Stephen King book. So I watched that trailer and I’m pretty sure it’s just a Goonies remake.

-Tom

Well, yeah. It is essentially The Goonies with an evil killer Clown thing. The 1957 part is very close to that.

I just finished rereading It a few weeks ago and, for me, it held up as well as it did when I read it as a teenager. Nowhere near King’s nadir, IMO.

Wendelius

Don’t forget the gang bang.

I’ve been trying for nearly 30 years.

What’s really funny is that with this trailer, I’ve talked to a few people at work that have started discussing the book or the old TV miniseries, and none of them - literally not a one - remembered the group sex bit in the book. I even had one person accuse me of making it up! I had to direct her to the wikia entry for her to believe it.

It really is a super-weird WTF moment.

I’ll bet any one of you jokers that the folks making the movie ditch the gang bang. It’s too much grief for no real purpose.

Truth. I mean, obviously, no one missed it from the TV version. I don’t think there’s any way to have that scene without completely losing the audience.

Yes, it was there. And yes, it’s a weird WTF moment. Even more so rereading the book in 2017. It wasn’t done in a titillating or horrible way though. It’s also a very small part of an over 1000 pages brick of a book, when all is said and done. But it should most definitely stay on the cutting floor for the movie.

Wendelius

Vegas wouldn’t take odds on it; there’s no way to make it work (e.g. change settings to all 25 year olds and it’s still
really weird at best). That this realization didn’t strike King years ago is, well, unfortunate. But here we are.

really weird and out of left field[quote=“Wendelius, post:70, topic:76787”]
It wasn’t done in a titillating or horrible way though.
[/quote]

“Make me fly Ben”.

Depends on what you mean by “horrible” there, I guess. :D

I’ll agree it’s not titillating, but I found it horrible in so many ways.

I haven’t re-read the book since it was released but my opinion is pretty identical to yours. It was okay but, even at the time, I thought it was flawed, a little over indulgent and the beginning of his bad period. Compared to something like The Stand or The Talisman (which he wrote with Peter Straub) it left me wanting. And it definitely wasn’t scary in the way Pet Semetary had been.

There was also a creepy part in Wizard and Glass between the old magic woman and a young girl. I won’t link to it. If you read it you probably recall it.

Yep. Those are my 2 favourites. I also have a soft spot for Salem’s Lot.

He’s been back in form with some of his more recent books, but they don’t have the same place in my heart those stories I devoured as a teenager do.

Wendelius

Is this a weird Jungle Book reference?

Hey that post was ages ago, how I am supposed to remember…

I’m glad it’s just focusing on the kids. They were my favorite part of the book. This book really hit home for me. The Loser’s Club could be the group I hung out with and we had our own version of the Barrens.

I re-read it not too long ago and still liked it. I would have been happier without the adults, the spider, and Bev’s “sacrifice” Still one of my favorite books.

They need to stop trying to make movies out of King’s novels. Short stories, sure.

Also:

As I recall, the book ended pretty much the same way, which was a real letdown. For me, King hit his peak with The Stand, which I realize was only four years after his first book and kinda dismisses a whole lot of stuff, but there you go.