Stephen King's "The Mist"

Me makes three. I would like to know the particulars in King’s mind about the basis and resolution of the story. It can bother me so much that I write out my own fill-in backstories to some of these but the author’s original intent is always welcome.

Is this out in the U.S. now? Doesn’t start until Friday for us. Any reviews?

Saw it today.

For the most part, totally loved it. Very intense, very well put together.

I never read the book, so perhaps the ending to the movie matches, but I found the ending to the movie a bit frustrating. In general my only complaint about the movie is pretty common to horror movies, people doing dumb things.

That’s generally a big complaint I have in real life.

I saw it today too and the ending in the movie is different and … to put it simply, I thought it sucked. It felt like, hey let’s make a real ironic dark ending for the fuck of it. No point whatsoever.

If it had ended right after Thomas Jane did what he did, then I would have been satisfied.

King is on record saying he wishes he came up with the movie ending, he loves it so much. I haven’t seen it, or read the book, so can’t comment.

I did, however, as part of my Mist protest for not being able to see it yesterday, download the 1 hour audio play that came out in the late 80s/early 90s, which was pretty fun, so at least I know the general story now.

Yeah, I saw King saying that he approves of the new ending.

I just didn’t like it. I don’t mind those sorts of endings: as I said, if it ended like 1 minute before it would have been fine even if it was different but the last minute is just too much for no discernable reason.

Someone hurry up and see it and comment.

Yeah, the ‘new ending’ is horrible. It could only have been topped by one of the [redacted] issuing forth a Nelson Muntzish “HAW HAW!” in the final frame.

Could someone post the movie ending in spoiler tags or something? (or PM me) I’m curious how Drabont changed the story. Wikipedia has failed me. <shakes fist>

Brief summary at TheMovieSpoiler.

-Julian

Reading that spoiler paid off. Now I know that I wouldn’t have wanted to watch the movie.

btw The Colorodo Kid was like the first 60% of a great book. Needs more chapters.

Ugh, this was horrible. I had heard Darabont was doing a big budget end-of-the-world monster movie. No such luck. This is a ham-handed people-in-crisis-turning-on-each-other story with poor Marcia Gay Harden as the Bible-totin’ villain. Along the way, there are two special effects sequences, neither particularly good. It wraps up with a tidy but utterly laughable ending.

Based on The Mist, I’m glad Darabont’s script for Indy 4 was rejected.

-Tom

I couldn’t help it and read the spoiler.

Lum’s all too right. Sad.

Spoiler sounds awesome to me. Nice departure from Hollywood’s tendency to write unrealistically happy endings.

Spoiler sucks to me. I always tought the original ending to be pretty cool actually, why change it? unless it didn´t translate all that good to film.

SPOILER

Yeah, that ending sucked. A bit too “ironic” for my tastes.

Wow, this movie was like a who’s who of all my favorite TV shows.

Marita Covarrubias? Check. (Where have you been Laurie Holden?)

Crashdown? Check. (Hard to tell since he had hair and was doing his best Kutcher impersonation with those freaky eyebrows.)

Frank Pemberton? Check.

Brenda Lee Johnson’s Mom? Check.

I like that ending! It would probably make me upset in the theater, but it reads well.

It might read well on the page, but it plays as utterly ridiculous in the movie. Poor Thomas Jane has no idea what to do and ends up looking pretty silly. I’m talking Cary-Elwes-at-the-end-of-Saw silly. Darabont flubs it up even more with long meaningful looks and then lots of slo-mo, all played to Serbian funeral music or something.

-Tom

Can’t argue much with Tom.

Yeah, I was looking forward to this, but not so much now. That new ending sounds like it was scientifically engineered to piss me off.