Stompy Mecha Thread

I like big stompy robots.

Cruising around steam the other day I found this Project Nimbus game. Essentially Ace Combat and Armored Corps mashed together.

Gigantic Army is pretty retro-awesome too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgztPYKHQto
It reminds me of this old Lucasarts SNES game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTJ1guQwMo
And a bit of Gunhound: http://store.steampowered.com/app/273240 ($14 is a bit steep for that)

Hawken: Really like this game. It’s sort of in development limbo last I checked. 6 months, no patches, and the devs are apparently “gagged” for some legal reason. Sadness.

Mechwarrior Online: Would you like to buy some $50 DLC? How about now? Now? Hey, new map. Want a hero mech? $250 and you can have a gold Madcat. But the game is actually quite fun. I enjoy playing it, but I’m like 2+ years in now and it’s still not progressing to different battle types, or organized teams. This game BEGS to be an eSport, and it makes me crazy that it’s not at least servicing that.

Have you seen anything about Brigador? It is the next mech type game I’m looking forward to. I loved the Armored Core series… even though I was horrible at it. I always wished they would have come to the PC because I’m just not good with the gamepad.

Yeah, Brigador looks like Syndicate in a battlemech. That’s like peanut butter and chocolate right there.

Oh, and I just discovered Astebreed. It’s a Japanese bullet-hell mecha game. Very high production values.

I felt my wallet getting warm while watching that.

Also… Front Mission 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpMzCCODW9k
Could we get some PC love for this? Give me that for PS4 and I’ll actually buy one.

Front Mission: Evolved was a major disappoint to me. Could have been excellent. Le Bad.

One more thing…

That is the sort of batshit stuff I grew up watching. I consider it responsible for the robot freak I am today.

It’s kind of weird that we call Mechs robots. They’re usually single-crewman AFVs, with no machine intelligence at all. Often enough they’re only vaguely humanoid, or maybe not even humanoid at all, with 4 or more legs or no arms.

I really enjoyed Front Mission 4, even if the basic premise and of course the dialog was kind of stupid. The peculiar thing is that it didn’t really feel like a Mech game. Since these were man-shaped giant suits carrying scaled-up infantry weapons, it ended up being more of a small-scale infantry game like XCom. There were a few weird rules like linked attacks, but the Japanese have introduced simlar arbitrary gamey mechanics to human-scale tactical games like Disgae or Resonance of Fate.

Front Mission 4 remains one of my favorite PS2 games to this day. I think that it fell during a lull in squad-based tactics games helped overcome the story and dialog.

FM4 really was a nice game. I liked the customization and development options. Also a beautiful opening credits animation sequence. But man, the cut scenes. I guess the devs didn’t realize they were making their characters look like they were from South Park with those funny mouth animations. Pity the PS3 Front Mission game was so godawful. It was indeed stompy mechs, but implemented really badly.

Well, I just discovered there’s a Front Mission 5. Apparently only released in Japan, but I found an english translated version of it that someone patched. Hrm…

Goddamn, there’s NOTHING going to stop me from playing that. Emulator, buy a modded ps2, whatever it takes.

Essentially Ace Combat and Armored Corps mashed together.

Yeah…it’s called Another Century’s Episode series, also from From, and it looks and plays way better than this Nimbus thingie.

That kind of reminds me of the the Robotech game that came out on the original Xbox. It was actually pretty decent, no idea how it holds up though.

Also, the japanese arcades get all the cool stuff:

Oh, and this one looks cool too:

(Oh, and it looks like they are going to update that one with Border Break Scramble, there is a new version, but I don’t see any gameplay trailers.)

Yay mech games. Totally tagging this for later use.

Great, now I wanna go load up Heavy Gear 2.

Yeah, this thread is the first thing I’ve seen in a while that got me excited about upcoming releases. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I’ve heard of the front mission games, but I didn’t even realize they were tactical strategy (I always thought they were like Armored Core). That’d be right up my alley if it were released on PC. I still wonder why we haven’t seen another Mission Force Cyberstorm or MechCommander.

M.A.V. is one to watch. It’s a Chromehounds clone of all things

Would pay $100 for Chromehounds 2.

It’s still very early, FYI.

What the hell is Tommy Smothers doing in a Japanese TV show?

I’ll just drop this here, and you’re welcome.
Project HON

OH GOD IT’S BEAUTIFUL.

Titanfall: Drive mecha and wall run.

HON: Drive mecha THAT wall run.

Also, that grapple mechanic they have is really something. Shit, screw the game I want to go watch the 3 hour long movie.

…I have the most awkward boner right now.

Okay, Project HON looks fucking amazing. Amaaaaaaazing. Sign me up.

Yeah that isn’t a bad looking game. Is that coming to PC? It looks like it might scratch that Armored Core itch I can’t scratch on PC if it is.