Stonehearth: A DF-like Town Builder

I saw this out on Kickstarter and spent part of the morning reading about it. It looks really neat. It’s basically a Dwarf Fortress like town builder. The developers say that the look is inspired by early Zelda games.

[Edit Dammit, I misspelled the game name in the topic :-( It’s Stonehearth ]

[ul]
[li]Here’s the Kickstarter.
[/li][li]Steam Greenlight.
[/li][li]Their blog (where I got a lot of the screenshots below from).[/ul]
[/li]

With a lot of Kickstarters it’s not really clear what’s been developed and what hasn’t. But doing some digging, they clearly do have quite a bit of work done. Here’s a video showing workers building

Here’s another one that’s a bit longer showing a full build.

Here’s some of their units:

and a basic combat test video:

Here are some crafters and their goods:

Farmer:

Carpenter:

Weaver:

And here’s some random screenshots:

The graphical style reminds me of 3D Dot game heroes.

I guess you only control characters indirectly?

Aiiieee! So many city builders coming out! Between this, Banished, Folk Tale, Gnomoria, Towns, DF, etc. Not that I’m really complaining, just hard to keep up.

In the builder video it looks like they select a bunch of workers and then instruct them to start cutting trees. They then select one of the workers and tell him to build a house. There’s also a bunch of screenshots on their blog site where they instruct someone to pickup a saw, which makes them a carpenter.

I’m not sure about combat. The only combat snippets show everyone already in combat.

They do appear to have some sort of leveling up system – athough it may be work in progress. Depending on which articles you look at it might be simply promoting based on equipment (such as the worker becoming a carpenter because they were given a saw) or something more complicated involving XP (note for example the Blacksmith in the screenshot above is listed as level 8).

Here’s a small part of the class tree:

I like their focus on developing your own story as your adventure unfolds while playing the game and discovering/exploring/expanding. Like Minecraft. :)

Backed.

I am hoping they reach their coop goal. That would be pretty slick.

I’m interested in this but since they’re doing so well I’m going to watch from the sidelines and get the game when it comes out.

These are indeed special times we live in, a few years back and there was a drought of epic proportions in this category.

Now it like going to the ice cream store and wanting every flavor they have! :D

Backed them for $50 on the 1st day. :) Kittens and Puppies!

Love the art direction in this.

Me as well. Makes me want to break out the LEGOs. Well, if I still had any.

For some reason I really like that they have floaty arms.

Also EPIC mutton chops in this picture!

This is the first I’ve heard of this game. It looks great already, and I want to play it RIGHT NOW. Thanks for posting it!

Agree with others who are talking about all the great looking games in this genre being developed. City building / resource management and other games of this type are pretty much my favorite genre, and it’s nice to have so many choices coming up when for the longest time we were forced to just wait for the next Tropico or Anno to scratch that itch.

What, a DF-like that doesn’t look like utter shit? Is that even legal?

They were thinking outside the blox.

I want this game to be amazing and would love to back it. Same with Castle Story and Timber & Stone. If and when they release, I’m so there. However, unless we’re talking about a very experienced team, I have to be skeptical on the technical side, in particular on performance. Looking at their pictures of fully built-up cities, I can only imagine how the graphical and gameplay calculations (pathfinding, especially) will add up. Not that it can’t be done. But that it’s a serious challenge. I hope these guys are up to it.

I’m with you there.

Gnomoria is awesome except for the pathfinding problems making it unplayable.

Very exciting…but I’m still waiting for all the other DF-alikes to get full releases!

Looks good. Can you build underground? I am very encouraged that more and more of these kinds of games are appearing.

From the developers:

Will there be mining in the game? Can I build a fortress underground?

Eventually, yes! But we want to make sure that we have a great above-ground building experience first.