Stonehearth: A DF-like Town Builder

Is there any kind of long-term goal in this game? I’ve seen guildboss/Paul’s videos, and I don’t see any new mechanics after the first hour or two. Once you’ve got all of the professions filled and houses for everyone, where does the game go? Are you just grinding levels and constructing larger buildings, or is there some event/series of events you need to plan for (like walling off your city and building defenses against a real goblin invasion – and not just 2-3 random gobs running in to steal resources)?

I’m new to the game, and I didn’t read much of the latest update because the new events sound interesting and they were talking spoilers. I know there are some world events now, though.

Yeah, that big update a couple of weeks ago was what made me finally pull the trigger. It’s a fascinating game so far.

Is this game close to being done or does it still have a lot of time in the oven?

The little squares on the roadmap have really filled up since I last checked.

http://www.stonehearth.net/stonehearth-development-roadmap/

Still 1.0 will probably be next year.

That seems reasonable. They just declared it “engine complete”; i.e., the engine is now in a state that it should be able to support everything they want the game to do without significant engineering to add new features.

So I played MP tonight, for the first time. 3 hours. They allow you to speed up and pause the game, can even give the clients control which is assume. I hate it when they strip this ability away. Joining was fairly painless. She’d never played before so we took some time to talking about the UI and me showing her how to place her town flag. It feels a lot like Settlers MP… as in the same game just sharing… and I love the slower pace. I hate that so many games, Settlers, sped things up but playing a game for weeks, months is right up my alley.

I enjoy the new building designer too although I am finding the paint a little tricky.

It’s probably been a year since I last played, but I seem to remember some pre-made building designs you could pick. Did they remove those, or am I blind? I can’t say I like the idea of having to design buildings. I would rather have a selection of buildings I can just plop down as needed.

The templates are in the new build design area but they’re not obvious. So when you go in to design a new build which is the first blue box with a house in it, there i a second blue box with the templates in it in the same bar. I am doing this from memory so I might be slightly off.

They’ve got the shared sleeping room, the dining hall, carpenter and herbalist house, cottage, tiny cottage and my fave an empty workshop.

Ahh ok thank you. I will check it out.

Here we go:

I forgot I got my greenshot for easy screenshots.

Moar screenshots plz.

What would you like to see?

Do you have a small town started?

I really haven’t touched or followed the game in probably a year.

I just realized we don’t have much at all on the current build. Sure. I’ll get some together. I can load my MP game. It seems more like a hot join, so yeah I can show more in a little bit, see both the towns we have set-up. We’re only a couple of hours in but there’s towns and stuff/

Wow, I don’t know how I missed that. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Multiplayer Menu. It’s just two players so you can load without the other player and they join after I have it up.

You’ve got some options in case someone leaves or more fun… trading. This helps specialize.

Mining is still a little bit of a pain because they’ll mine themselves into a hole and have trouble getting out.

But there is a newer to do custom mine shapes.

Character Roster

Job Tree - if i remember right there’s more but my new game it’s not open.

You can also give characters to players too

Character sheet.

The moods are newish

Kind of leads to more entries in Journals.

Not sure why there is a grip about food. We have food!

So town’s levels and you can choose from three different banners. I picked the Banner of Vitality, i think the other one was miner and commerce and the other battled based. I might be confusing the Hearth upgrade though.

I haven’t achieved my Hearth upgrade yet though.

Combat parties are in the game, so it recalling your people to safety. You can make a safety flag to move them to a better spot a workshop.

You don’t have to hunt around for workshops you can get to them in a man menu.

and

They cleaned up ordering workshops a bit ago.

oh yeah the lil guys interact with each other now.

They really deserve a prize for the art/ui.

@Nesrie, thanks for all the screenshots. I backed this game on Kickstarter and have been patiently waiting for it to develop. I don’t know if I’ve ever even loaded it, although I have it installed so I see when the new updates are released and can read up on the changes.

And @instant0, I have to agree on the art and UI. I really like it.

You’re welcome!

I believe the first beta version is currently available on Steam Unstable. I am using the the Alpha stable myself.

The game currently is in a status where it is playable and enjoyable but there are still a fair amount of bugs. I typically encounter them when building, like I can see random wood blocks stuck on the roof, then one little guy got stuck building a wall and couldn’t get down so I helped him down by manually adding a ladder to that wall. I had a workshop bug out on his orders and then a crash. I’ve seen worse bugs in actually released games though.

The events, quests, monsters… that’s there. The building designers is so much better too, so much better.