Stormcloud: New Project Note

Hey all,

Just a quick note about a new community-development project being launched that has many talking already: http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18171

I remember many appreciating Voyager here when it came out, so I thought i’d let everyone here know.

Thanks!

Derek
Stormcloud Creations

Oooh, you pimped your site at OO first and then linked us to that. If I were The Entity, I’d be mighty pissy right about now! :lol:

Did I accidentally register and log onto Octopus Overlords?

What the f…

:evil:

Get a rope.

Yeah…I figured reprinting the newsletter message would be a bit much, specially since there’s the message right at the start of that thread, along with my responses to several posts of interest. Saves time and bandwidth. :)

As for others responses…well, this particular project is only going to succeed thru word of mouth, so i’m using the weapon I have right now, especially since many were very supportive here when Voyager came out. I figured people here might have some interest in a pretty unique game project. My apologies for any toes I stepped on. :D

Derek
Stormcloud Creations

Yeah…I figured reprinting the newsletter message would be a bit much, specially since there’s the message right at the start of that thread, along with my responses to several posts of interest. Saves time and bandwidth. :)

As for others responses…well, this particular project is only going to succeed thru word of mouth, so i’m using the weapon I have right now, especially since many were very supportive here when Voyager came out. I figured people here might have some interest in a pretty unique game project. My apologies for any toes I stepped on. :D

Derek
Stormcloud Creations[/quote]

Probably worth the time and bandwidth to tailor something for each individual site if you were going to use the power of word of mouth. At least then I could think that you had created the newsletter just for me and other potential fans like myself. :)

If you can’t be bothered, obviously I can’t be bothered as well.

Ah…touche. :)

Here’s the whole message then, just for QT3’ers:

Hey Quarter To Three Members,

Just here to drop a quick note about a cool new project being launched that allows to participate in the development process from the ground up! I remember many of you were supportive of Coliseum (somewhat) and Voyager (more so) when it came out.

The Arcadia Project is live! This project
is basically the very first fully community supported, community development-assisted and funded PC game project ever done, on a level never before attempted. We’ll be starting from the GROUND UP. You can help me name the game, add and tweak features, submit stories and ideas, and vote in polls for new features, all on
our special members only forum.

We’ll even have a special page for pre-order members ONLY that will allow you to download micro-builds of the game, as its being created!

The game itself: You can recruit adventurers, view detailed stats on their
abilities, age, birthday, height, weight, everything. Build a camp of 6
adventurers, and put together parties of 4 and send them on dangerous quests to
many realms, in search of riches. They can get hurt, killed, possessed, or a
host of other things, and you may be offered choices in the story according to
what happens on their quest. You must sign them to contracts (called ‘pacts’) to
keep them working for you, all the while keeping yourself in the black
financially. The game is intended to be a “Championship Manager” combined with a
RPG sensibility, complete with adventurer ‘personalites’ that emerge over time.
Sharp, crisp and unique graphics/interface and music are planned to be included
as well.

The thing with this project, due to its nature: Without you, it cannot succeed.
We need you to make it work. So we urge you to consider participating in this
groundbreaking project, and together we can build something special. I truly
believe that if this succeeds, it will change the way indie games (and maybe all
smaller games) are created.

We plan on selling the game for $19.95 when its released. We’re offering you a chance to get in this special community development opportunity for only $16.95, $3.00 off the normal price! Once you order, you’ll receive a link where the forum is located, and you can register there if you wish, and be approved to participate. This also entitles you to a full version of the game once its finished.

Payment links:

PayPal (Credit Cards or Balance Transfers):
See http://www.stormcloudcreations.com

Direct Credit Card Purchase link (Checks/Money Orders as well):
See http://www.stormcloudcreations.com

I look forward to your particpation and comments from the veteran gamers/industry people that frequent the QT3 boards.

Thanks!

Derek
Stormcloud Creations

My suggestion is that you allow the adventurers to be…evil?

Yep…that will be a big thing with this game: sometimes, adventurers will have talent, but be real jerks, and even ‘evil’ at times, valuing themselves over the good of the party. Occasionally they’ll have hidden nasty secrets that will reveal themselves over time too.

Derek
Stormcloud Creations

Yep…that will be a big thing with this game: sometimes, adventurers will have talent, but be real jerks, and even ‘evil’ at times, valuing themselves over the good of the party. Occasionally they’ll have hidden nasty secrets that will reveal themselves over time too.

Derek
Stormcloud Creations[/quote]

I feel as though you’ve taken a personal interest in me, now I will follow this project. :)

Hi Derek,

Last year I bought Voyager and the exansion and it has provided me with hours of gameplay. Great stuff.

I received your email with the details of Project Arcadia, and my interest has definately been picqued, however before I bite, I would like to know a little about the gameplay elements, specifically the adventuring element:

Will the adventures take place on a map? Will there be dungeons with rooms, and choices of what rooms/direction to go, or will the adventures consist of just a quick summary in descriptive text (like like in Voyager) with random elements.

If the adventuring is map or tile based (rooms like a mud) How much randomness and replayability will there be in the adventuring?

Concerning the combat aspect of adventuring:, how much control will the gamer have over his party, will there by round by round decisions to be made like a classic RPG, or will it be more “detached and watch” like it was in Colesium.

Considering the development model, you may not have any concrete ideas yet, but I am hoping that you can clarify it these elements.

Personally I would like to see a random room-based adventuring system (with both outdoor areas and dungeons, (similar to a mud), with some quest goal for that area or dungeon. Also I am hoping the combat with involve the gamer round by round.

Thanks in advance for any extra details you can provide, and good luck the project.

Thanks for breaking my H-Scroll.

Thanks! The model planned for Arcadia is more personnel-management based, closer to a model like a ‘Baseball Mogul’ style RPG. Adventurers age and improve (and then decline), sign contracts with you and the style of adventuring is planned to be like the following: You’ll be able to choose locations on a “map” (randomly generated each season, each game year will be broken up into the 4 seasons). Each location will have a “treasure rating” and a “danger” rating. Higher Danger ratings usually net more treasure for you, but can potentially be more damaging for your guys. Some locations may have a secret “big” treasure they may be able to find (based on the ratings of your party).

Occasionally though, you’ll be able to jump right into a situation your party stumbles into (sometimes an urgent one!) and you’ll have to make a decision. That situation will be presented to you, and they’ll trust your judgement.

The great thing about this format is I will listen to changes and suggestions, so the game may change over time.

I certainly hope you get in on this, Myth! I would welcome your input.

Derek
Stormcloud Creations

I don’t know what the Entity ruled on it last time around but I’m still annoyed when anyone gets a free pass on the no self pimping rules that everyone else has to abide by.

Thanks for saving my time and bandwidth by not having to read anything you print about your project!

They’re called URL tags too dude.

I always thought developers willing to talk about their projects had a free pass on the self-pimpage rule.

Developers are, I think, exempt from the pimping thing. The idea being that developers are a rare fauna that should be encouraged to dwell in this habitat.

Troy

Dear Derek (PhD), you broke my hscroll. Please fix it.

If I had a PhD (or claimed to) I probably could. Oh well, I’m used to being confused with the “other” Derek by now. :)

Kunikos: sigh Sorry you feel that way. Hope you reconsider.

Others: Questions, comments are welcome and i’ll answer them all.
By the way, my website is now updated (both the home page and a new dedicated page with payment links has been added).

Derek
Stormcloud Creations

Long URLs make Baby Jesus cry.

This does sound interesting. Beyond the decision point that you described, what other ways of controlling or influencing an adventuring party does the player have? Also, I like winning. How do I “win” this game. Are we just getting a rating on all the phat l00tz we get? Are we measured against other adventuring teams which we can scheme against?