Stowaway is a dumb movie and here are some spoilery posts to prove it

I’ve watched Anna Kendrick play with cups for at least a hundred hours, I’ll watch this movie no matter how dumb it is.

Those biscuits are gonna get burned.

I don’t know what I expected from that link, but it definitely wasn’t watching Anna Kendrick literally play with cups.

I mean he told you exactly what it was!

We’re too old and cynical I suppose. The Rick Roll and Trollollo wars have taken their tolls on us.

It’s okay to say you’re a Pitch Perfect fan! No one will judge you! That’s reserved for dumb people who liked Pitch Perfect 2. Thanks, Elizabeth Banks. Fortunately, there’s no such thing as Pitch Perfect 3, because it there were, no amount of cups faffing would be able to save it.

-Tom

This thread made me watch this movie yesterday, and it was indeed bad.

I feel like it could have been not-bad, but the it decided to be bad.

Also, did they ever even explain how the stowaway guy got in the ship? I admit I wasn’t watching it super closely, but it seemed like it was an accident? They never really clarified that as far as I could tell.

It’s very simple. He was working. moments before takeoff, in the cabinet with the delicate and irreplaceable part without which everyone will die. He fell asleep in there, and then somebody bolted on the panel without noticing he was in there, during which process he didn’t wake up and say “hey, man, don’t bolt me in here”. Then he went through a launch on the biggest rocket ever made, and that didn’t wake him up either, and he was injured due to being stuck in a cabinet with delicate equipment during takeoff.

It’s so obvious, the movie doesn’t feel it needs to waste time explaining it.

Part of me wants a realistic scifi movie, something in the vein of Sunshine where the third act doesn’t go apeshit bananas into a slasher movie but I would have figured they would have accounted for extra unplanned weight or that weight would have derailed the launch.

That’s been a popular critique of the original The Cold Equations story. No critical and delicate space journey would be made with zero margin for error. There would be some leeway built into systems for safety.

In fact, The Cold Solution, a rebuttal story, was written in the 90’s.

Yeah I mean this movie (as well as The Cold Equations) is basically just a thought experiment, an ethical riddle, a gussied-up presentation of the Trolley Problem. I’m not saying you have to give them a pass for breezing over the details, but you probably are focusing on the wrong details if the weight issue is where you’re burning brain cells.

It’s actually cool that you wrote this out, because it’s literally what I thought was supposed to have happened, but then was like, “That can’t be what they are suggesting.”

Like… he was RIGHT inside the panel. How could it possibly have been bolted on while he was in there without saying, “Hey dude, why are you back there? Get out.”

I haven’t seen this myself, but I have a theory that if Qt3 was converted into a Rotten Tomatoes type site where each review was written by a member rather than a professional critic, the average review of almost every film listed here would be about 20 points lower than found on other aggregate sites. :)

Well, I mean, the RT audience score is 59%. It was at least good enough for me to watch the whole thing.

Part of the reason I watched this is because if Tom hates it, it’s possibly awesome!

God damn I hate the shit out of Sunshine for doing that. It was so cool and then herp derp this is actually a horror movie, dontchaknow?

Isn’t this just a rip off of a DUST YouTube channel short film called “The Stowaway”?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-BL8GsHWtqc

Now you got me interested in watching this to see which one is dumber!

I haven’t read The Cold Solution, but if in the original there had actually been zero margin for error the whole mission would have been irretrievably fucked the moment they took off with her on board. Clearly there was some, just not enough for two people to make the whole journey (although as I understand it it’s a common engineering principle to double whatever margin you think you need, so it’s still kinda dumb, except in the though experiment way that Dive mentions).

Edit: wait, I guess it’s been a while since I read the original story and I was remembering it wrong. It wasn’t about air or fuel…it was about weight making the ship crash on attempted landing? Weird.