Stranger Things - Netflix

My son and I finally finished Season Two. We did the opposite of binge watch, sometimes taking days between episodes, and, at the end, watching the two final episodes two weeks after watching Episode 7. This is what happens when you have conflicting schedules but don’t want to watch without the other person! =)

In the end, we both really enjoyed it. Both of us agree with most people above that Steve turned out to be the absolute best character of the season. His transition from Nancy’s boyfriend to Dustin’s mentor and reluctant babysitter/leader of the nerd herd was done so slowly and so effectively that it was brilliant. We thought for sure he was going to eat it in the tunnels in the final episode…that scene had us on the edge of our seats.

We also enjoyed Max, though her brother was too ridiculously cartoonish…he even looked like a 20 year old man going to high school. And the parents, that was just disturbing. If that family returns in Season 3, I hope it’s for the sole purpose of the father being eaten by something nasty.

The Jonathan and Nancy road trip subplot was dumb, but ultimately necessary both to bring those characters to where they needed to be in terms of their relationship to one another and to give a hook for the plausible deniability for the government over what happened at the lab and bring Barb’s fate to a close.

Eleven’s road trip was absolutely necessary in terms of giving her backstory details and purpose. It effectively catches her up to real time…and allows both her and the group to move forward, especially after the doctor presented Hopper with the birth certificate. We were not fans of the fact that they decided to focus solely on Eleven’s story for a full episode, or the cliché group she fell in with in Chicago, but I can see where it would have been a difficult production decision to either spread that over a couple of episodes or just devote one full one to it, and I think they made the right choice. I suspect we have not seen the last of Eight or the whole “numbered children with powers” deal. If Eleven opened a portal to the Upside Down, chances are high that other numbered kids can do so as well, and perhaps that’s where Season 3 will lead us.

Overall, a fantastic second season highlighted by really great acting from all the main cast and a story that was equal parts 80’s nerd nostalgia (the arcade scenes were great!) and awesome action. It’s too bad Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson are no longer with us, as a cameo to spout some D&D lore would be icing on the cake for this series.

Can’t wait for Season 3!

I love this show. I can’t wait for season 3 actually! But the bald girl, Eleven is not my favorite at all. Dunno why but I don’t like her.

This show reminds me of The Twilight Zone or an 90s horror show (Like Goosebumps)

Eleven and Mike are my least favorite characters – too sullen and moody. Less of those two and more of Lucas and Max would be great ;)

I saw that yellow vest the one character wears for sale at Target next to other Stranger Things merch. Incredible.

Get ready for some epic mallratting.

Opinion - I will watch the fuckin’ shit out of this.

Damn. I want everything in that trailer right now.

Let’s start the game. What’s the D&D-inspired name for the new big bad?

Good question, of course I don’t think we know yet, but I do hope they carry the tradition of translating the crazy shit that’s happening into D&D terms. Maybe they won’t though, if they are more “grown up”?

I was thinking that too. “Man, that’s just kids’ stuff!”

Also, was there any Charlie Heaton in that trailer?

Now that you mention it, I don’t think I saw him. Even if his character is at college, it looks like this takes place during the summer, so I’d think he’d be around. Interesting.

He’s credited on IMDB for a few episodes of season 3, so he’s in the show, but it seems they’re edging him out.

I guess the actor’s drug/legal issues were too much for this show.

One minute into the trailer you can see him.

Wasn’t aware of any offscreen problems he’s had… Guess I’ll google him now.

He’s in several more shots. the one of the gang arranged around Eleven on the floor (she’s bleeding from her nose), he’s on the far left. I also think he’s the person at the end of the hall staring at the. . . thing. . . that is growing/expanding. And I could have sworn I saw a snapshot of him during the ending montage.

Also the trailer was amazing.

I’m genuinely surprised at how good that looked.

Also, I had forgotten:
a) about Steve (not-Jean-Ralphio)'s redemption arc, which i still love, and
b) that Steve is not actually played by Jean Ralphio, but by a completely different actor, Joe Keery

There’s always some immediate buzz about the future of the show right after a new season launches, and it always feels exhausting and not exciting, and I tell myself I’m not sure I’m going to care as much when the new season actually shows up.

But for both season two and now three, now that we’re close and there’s an awesome trailer, I’m excited again.

That was awesome.

Cross promotion!