Strategic Command WW2 - War in Europe is amazing (biased beta tester)

So, if someone was to start posting an AAR here in about a week would folks be interested in seeing the Axis or the Allies?

This one votes for the Axis.

Honestly, I can’t see how a one-unit-per-hex mechanic could ever reflect the Napoleonic Wars (or any European War prior to WWI). Entire armies essentially were concentrated in one hex and didn’t form nationwide “lines”. How would a siege be declared? It should occur with the besieger and the besieged in the same hex, but the engine won’t allow that. This appears to me to be a clumsy conversion as Napoleonic warfare requires more than a change in art.

Allies can feel a bit demoralizing in the early going, so I’d agree with orald and say go for Axis. I also think Axis is a bit harder overall at the default settings.

I vote for Allies to balance things while knowing it will be Axis, of course!

Just got this as a gift, the nice hardbound manual edition! Booted it up long enough to see how it looks (very nice, the interface seems much better than most wargames; I wish the zooming were smoother though). Looking forward to diving into the manual and pushing some Panzers around.

Looks like multiplayer isn’t in yet; hope they get that sorted soon. Hopefully we can get some games going when they do!

The first official update has been released. No multiplayer yet but lots of fixes.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4242631

Welp, loading times and performance seem worse, and the zoom bug isn’t fixed. C’est la vie!

Quiet thread.

For those interested the developers released a beta version of multiplayer last week. Looks like reloading turns (cheating) will not be allowed.

This PBEM beta includes the v1.01 update

To download the PBEM v1.01.01 beta go the Strategic Command Public Beta forum.
The Devs warned that save games from the release version will not work with this update.

Any takers willing to give this a go?

I’ve still only clicked around a little bit in this game. I think I need a human opponent to really get engaged. So yeah, I’m interested, but on the other hand maybe it makes sense to wait until it is released for real.

I have not played this much so we may be a good match. I played quite a bit of Commander Europe at War with Grand Strategy Mod multiplayer but it has been a while since.

If you are willing we can test the beta. PM me if you want to give this a go. Two - three turns per day is how I roll.

George

I’d like to play, but I just have no time these days. Good luck!

After a false start my partner and I managed to get our PBEM going. The Slitherine PBEM++ system does not allow a player to reload their turns (cheat) and the beta seems to be working. Come on in, the water is fine.

To the OP I say Strategic Command WW2 - War in Europe is amazinger (with multiplayer).

So I know that multiplayer is a whole 'nuther ballgame from playing single player. But holy smokes, am I getting hammered by my opponent in our current game. I’m playing the Allies and France is probably going to capitulate by April '40. And the English Channel is littered with the hulks of my ventilated Royal Navy.

Learning a lot, taking my lumps, and having a ball.

How did he sink you ships? Air attack? Subs?

Both plus tanks!

I was doing pretty well, having sunk half his surface fleet, but in one turn he sank three of my boats. One CC was attacked by a combination of bomber and sub and retreated into a port on the Normandy coast and was finished off by a panzer unit?! I suspect he upgraded his bomber naval attack capability. Upgrading the Royal Navy air defenses seems like a must against an Axis player determined to launch Sea Lion.

Yeah naval units in port are vulnerable to attack from land if the town they are connected to is taken. I haven’t given much thought as to how to defend against Sea Lion from a strong opponent. If you’ve traded evenly for ships, he should be at a strong disadvantage.

One of my French corps occupied the city when the tanks shelled the CC.

If the Axis can bottle up the choke points in the English Channel, and their air forces can sink the RN, I’m not sure how to prevent Sea Lion. The Brits have one fighter unit, and two CVs so three air units which isn’t much to protect the surface fleet. But I’m new to the game so I’ll have to figure this out, most likely by learning the hard way.

Huh I would have sworn I wasn’t allowed to do that until I took the port.

Do you have any more fighter units about to come online? Anyway, I think you have to keep a naval presence in the Channel, in addition to a North Sea force. If you have AA tech, you can upgrade your port AA as well.

If you have a current PBEM going on, the recent 1.02 update is incompatible with the 1.01.04 version.

"Please note that if you are currently playing a PBEM++ game with the beta version (v1.01.04) saved PBEM games from this will not be compatible with v1.02 So, if you are enjoying a PBEM and would like to finish it I’m afraid you should hold off updating to v1.02 until you have done so.

However the time available to finish a beta PBEM game will be limited (as I’m afraid that when the next patch is ready v1.01.04 PBEM games will no longer work)."