Strategy Games & NextGen consoles

Do any of you play strategy games on your consoles? There’s some good ones for the Nintendo DS and in Japan strategy games have been very popular.

In this week’s PowerUser.TV Tom and I debate why more game companies are starting to look seriously at consoles as a platform for strategy games.

In the past, the PC has remained, at least in North America and to a large extent Europe, the standard in terms of playing strategy games.

Do you think that the Xbox 360, PS3 and Nintendo Revolution and the general marketshare consoles are getting will entice developers to start making more strategy games for consoles?

Here’s the link to the episode in question.
http://www.poweruser.tv/?page=show&show=17

I could see some rather cool old school turn based hex titles being hawked on xbox live arcade. That might rock. The price point would be quite nice for that type of game.

The DS really needs more original turn based strategy games. For multiplayer alone, it would rock. A Nippon Ichi SRPG for DS with only gameplay would be incredible, although the most SRPGs traditionally don’t have any reguards for balance.

A Nippon Ichi SRPG

I would kill for something like that on my DS or PSP or shit even 360. Its kinda sad that while lots of people like the genre ( from what I can tell ) it does not get much love.

I listened to this episode today and I think you missed something fundamental in your argument that HD will allow for more strategy games due to increased readability of text and interface:

Most of the gaming population will still be playing the game on standard def sets so if you design your fonts around legibility on HDTV then you’ll make the game almost unplayable for most consumers and probably wouldn’t even make it past MS certification.

And as much as I love strategy games and new technology, I doubt that the people who went out and bought a nice shiny HDTV want to play Civ4 or something similar on it.

The DS is perfect for strategy games. I hope someone starts taking advantage of it with a real strategy game that doesn’t involve big eyed bobble heads whacking each other with swords.

While most of this discussion revolves around turn-based, RTS games in the mold of Rise of Nations won’t translate well.

No. We saw the debacle of the Advance Wars GC title that went real-time.

Yeah, I would think non-HDTV will be the design standard for at least several more years, if not longer. Text will still be a problem.

I’m not sure how well I made my case on the podcast (I wasn’t briefed on the topic beforehand!), but just to be clear:

I don’t think the reason there aren’t strategy games on consoles is because there hasn’t been resolution good enough to support strategy games with text, numbers, minimaps, etc.

I think the reason there aren’t strategy games on consoles is because there isn’t an audience for them.

What’s more, it’s not even true that there aren’t strategy games on consoles. There are. There have been for a long time in Japan. As consoles are more widespread and the business expands, there will be more and more room for what we might think of as niche. Nippon Ichi’s successful inroads into the US market are probably a good sign of thing to come. Certainly Advance Wars’ success is encouraging.

But I think it’s more a matter of the marketplace than the technology. Brad’s right that things will change – we will see more strategy games on consoles – but not for the reason that he thinks.

-Tom

Look no further than Generation Of Chaos for the PSP. It’s supposedly as good as any other NIS game out there, and the USA release is slated for Q2 of 2006.

And as much as I love strategy games and new technology, I doubt that the people who went out and bought a nice shiny HDTV want to play Civ4 or something similar on it.
[/quote]

Why? I would.

No. We saw the debacle of the Advance Wars GC title that went real-time.[/quote]
I dunno. I think the Revolution controller could work as a passable mouse-style interface. Much more so than drawing a selection box around units with the analog stick on a gamepad.

Gen of Chaos has always been a “Poor man’s Dragon Force” though. I’d wait for the reviews before you make a purchase.

I haven’t listened to the podcast, but just to throw in my two cents, anyone who doubts the viability of great strategy games on consoles simply hasn’t played Kingdom Under Fire or Advance Wars–two of the better strategy game series in years. Kingdom Under Fire looks so good and has so many interesting features that it makes most conventional PC RTS games simply look bad by comparison. And Advance Wars does the same for turn-based strategy games. The PC still seems like the best platform for an RTS, but maybe the limitations of console controls are what are inspiring a few developers out there to come up with some really interesting stuff on the console side.

[/quote]

Why? I would.[/quote]

Me too. Hell I’d rather get that than another generic FPS. Besides kicking back on the couch for hours at a time would be more comfy than hunched over my keyboard for hours at a time. I’m all for TB strategy games coming to consoles.

I agree that the reason there hasn’t been a market for strategy games on the console.

The debate pont, for me anyway, is WHY there isn’t a market for PC-type strategy games on the console.

And I think I mentioned this on the show but my reasons were:

#1 Some People don’t want to sit in their living room to play Civilization IV type games.

#2 The resolution of consoles has been too low to provide a good experience for those kinds of strategy games.

#3 The gamepads don’t provide the kind of control that most strategy gamers want.

That said – I think that the next-gen consoles may start to turn the tide potentially. With High-Def and the potential of hooking them up to a monitor in ones “computer room” rather than on the TV, it may only be a matter of time before we even see mice and other types of controllers become popular.

I don’t think the day has come yet. But I know with the sheer # of people using consoles, that the day of strategy games (PC style) coming to the console may yet arrive.

In the meantime, I’m more than content to play Civ IV and GalCiv and Rise of Nations and AOE on my PC. ;)

What about SimCity and Civilization/Civ II. These were console games too, you know. They also sold very well. Panzer General and Allied General made their way to the PSX and sold well. Iron Storm is still one of the best turn-based WWII strategy games I’ve played and that was on Sega Saturn.

I just don’t understand why this ever comes up. There are plenty of very good strategy games on consoles and always have been, even back in the NES days when you got Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the like, arguably as complex as anything on the PC.

Just because you weren’t playing them doesn’t mean they don’t exist or that there is no market for them.

–Dave

But in general there aren’t many strategy games on the consoles, that was the point. Ya know, Mortal Kombat and a few of the Street Fighter games appeared on the PC back in the day too, but that doesn’t mean that fighting games are exactly prolific on the PC… :wink:

I was part of a Microsoft focus group this summer and the issue of console strategy games came up. The whole group I was in was very adamant that either a keyboard/mouse or a new type of controller was necessary for strategy games to be successfull on a console so we’ll see if MS has anything up their sleeves as far as the 360 goes.

Spectral Souls, Nippon Ichi. . You’ll have to wait until Fall 2006… but it’s something.