Strategy games that evade the Chick Parabola

You are not alone.

Again asymmetry with open goal structures work well to having good feeling AI. Paradox diplo AI has ruined almost every other strategy 4x game for me, Civ in particular.

One game that evades the Parabola in a devious way is FTL. In that game, the only reason you can win at all is because the AI is weak. If the AI was half-decent, it would target your weapons immediately, and you’d lose within 1-2 battles (which is why a multiplayer version of FTL could never work). In truth it’s really a game about killing low-IQ aliens, and it’s kinda ok because the odds are stacked so heavily against you.

Yeah, I tend to agree that the games that work best for me are the ones where they don’t try to pretend that the AI is playing the same game as me. Procedural generation and combinatorics can certainly generate plenty of interesting strategic decisions for the player to make, even if each element is individually simple.

Agreed. Asymmetry is the best possible solution - if the AI isn’t even trying to play the same game as the human then the game they are playing can be tailored to their strengths.

Where’s GalCiv 3 at currently?

Sitting gathering virtual dust because I just don’t enjoy it that much. Mostly because I’ve grown tires of hex based movement for a space 4X game because it generally doesn’t have interesting ‘terrain’.

If we ditch strategy games…all roguelikes and demon’s souls, etc…

Because one could say the game does not truly even begin until you’ve mastered all the systems.

Was more thinking about the state of the AI and the parabola.

Battle Brothers
/end thread

ur my battle brother, @jpinard!

Creeper World 3… Though that again relies on asymmetry. But you learn the mechanics inside of the first 10 minutes .