Strategy Games with solid AI

Yeah, I actually chose “solid” very deliberately there. Exceptional AI- outside Chess and Go and the like- is very hard to come by in PC Games.

Being Paradox, I imagine it (or some accompanying DLC that effectively breaks the game if you don’t buy it) will add to the price.

2.0 is of course free. If you don’t get the DLC, you miss out on planet killers. Titan-sized fleet flag ships and I think some way of spending unity if you’ve completed the normal tradition trees. I think the game is perfectly playable without any DLC.

Edit: Actually what people are complaining about the most in 2.0 wrt DLC is that they are moving some of the features from the Utopia DLC into the base game.

Gamers crack me up. It’s the same with every release: if they put the stuff in a free update, the expansion is a ripoff. If they sell it in the expansion, all they care about is your money!

Since I generally suck at games, every AI seems solid.

Amen to that shit.

Almost forgot! Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire.

This team needs to get back together:

Designers - Brian Reynolds, Michael Ely, Bing Gordon, Sid Meier
Composers - Jeffery L. Briggs, David Evans

Good one! I was sure the AI cheated badly but I never quite figured out how.

Field of Glory 2 will kick you butt if you make any mistake.

Eador: Genesis has a tactical AI that is quite good; the standard difficulty level penalizes the computer. After playing for, oh, a hundred hours or so you can start to figure out how to exploit it, so it’s not perfect.

Much of the difficulty in the game is PvE rather than PvAI, so you don’t get much sense of the strategic AI.

Armageddon Empires’ AI always kicks my butt.

This is going to sound crazy, but…

modded Master of Magic AI ain’t bad at all, relatively speaking. It’s miles – miles! – beyond AI at the time, feels comparable to Civ IV in my limited playtime with it so far.

Could you tell us what to install from that list of files, please?

Ah sorry, that’s not clear at all, is it?

Download the Caster of Magic zip.

Copy all the files into your MoM game directory. Overwrite existing.

Also you can download the 1.51RC6 zip and do the same, if you want bugfixes and (somewhat) better AI without any rebalancing.

1. Recall Hero
    Removed from the game.

I’m out of that mod.

Don’t even hate! It’s because Summoning Circle is now free, so you don’t get to freely teleport heroes everywhere forever.

Thank you!

For those who are interested, there is a lot of information about the Caster of Magic mod at the Realms Beyond forum.

I originally read this as Heroes of Might and Magic.

Didn’t HOMM3 have a solid AI? I own the game via GoG, I just haven’t really gotten around to playing it.

Armageddon Empires. There’s nothing quite so terrifying as finding a nuclear sub buried in the sand without its payload.