Streaming from Stationary to laptop - possible?

So,
I have a gaming laptop, but I also am the owner of a high end gaming pc. Right now, I am using that gaming PC only connected to the big screen Television, but I would love to be able to stream it to my laptop, since its ways better.

I have tried just using “stream” button in Steam, meaning its actually played on the gaming PC, but I see it on my laptop, but with horrible results.

The gaming pc is wired, but the laptop isn’t - it just runs in Wifi, and whenever I check, for some reason it always says its on the 2.4 Ghz band and not on the 5 Ghz band.

Does anyone have a good idea on how to make this work? And be easy to setup each time?

Thanks in advance!

Steam streaming over WiFi basically blows. I wouldn’t bother.

I use it all the time, even if the laptop can easily run it, if just to keep it cool.

It does break up into artifacts sometimes but if you have a good wifi connection it’s more than playable.

Do you have any tricks for forcing your computer to stay on the faster Wifi? I have no clue why I keep switching to the other - I am like 2 feet away from the router so its not like I am far away.

And in these 30 degree celcius (86 fahrenheit) days here in Denmark, my laptop gets a bit heated as well!

Buy a good wifi AP? I went with ubiquiti and haven’t been disappointed.

Also some laptop wifi cards are garbage, you usually want a good intel card if you don’t have it.

AP being an Access point, correct? That’s an idea! I’ve been briefly looking into beacons and have no idea what to choose - my ISP provider offers two Nokia Beacon 1 for free,but as far as I can tell, those aren’t very good.

The access point is instead of the wifi the router comes with, correct?

All correct. I set up ubiquiti for friends and family these days just because I know once I get it configured and working I can forget about it and everybody will be happy. There are probably cheaper, easier solutions but I know it works and is absolutely reliable.

I thought setting it up, especially if you invest in a cloudkey, is pretty easy to do these days but I have been in IT for 25 years so take that with a grain of salt.

What wireless hardware is in your laptop?

{06A7A030-0173-476E-A1A7-93B9C6EBF279}

Does your 5G connect at all, and what do you see for signal strength? Could be another case of antenna disconnected inside your case.

How do I see that? Because that sounds interesting!

That last one is what I see, and realize I am not connected to the 5Ghz.

And my ISP tells me its active

Do your 5G and 2.4G use the same SSID name? Get a free wifi analyzer tool like this one, and see what it shows you about your signals.

Yup - Its the same SSID name, and can’t be separated.

Based on your question, I just checked, and saw that both bands were active, and that my ISP says a lot of times to “activate the one you want to use”, and tried to do that. And now I only have the 5Ghz, which is pretty cool.

Besides if one has old wifi units that can’t use 5Ghz, then it doesnt matter that I don’t have 2.4, right?

If you are comfortable with command lines, you can make sure Windows prioritizes the network connection order you want, e.g. Ethernet, then 5G, then 2.4.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/70415-change-wireless-network-connection-priority-order-windows-10-a.html

Thanks - that might be good to look into it!