Street Fighter 3 Third Strike

KOF:MI is 3d.

SSV is awesome.

And KOF’s were released in 2002 and 2003, and there are two more in the works besides MI: Neowave, which is for the Atomiswave arcade system, and 2004.

Any tips for someone who has had a mental block playing a charge character? I pretty much suck at fighting games, the game AI usually gives me more challange than I can handle, but I like playing anyway. But for the life of me, I’ve never been able to get a handle on Guile or any of the other charge characters.

you can play them all on my arcade machine :)

One rule I remember about charge characters is that you always should be charging something. This gives you a chance to counter if your opponent makes a mistake and misses with a move. Also, I think charage moves are most effective when they’re the last move of a combo, like Guile’s classic flash kick combo.

The thing that’s frustrating when fighting AI charge characters is that it doesn’t have to charge. It can do the moves one after another. AI Guile, for example, can keep up with Ryu in a fireball fight, and can also do a flash kick at any time.

Yeah, I’ve heard that rule, along with the concept of charging diagonally so that you’re charging for either type of move. What I don’t get is how you fight from a crouched and/or retreating position.

Agetec’s Garou port was only amazing cause I got to play it. On a technical level the port wasnt all so amazing. Im mostly referring to the streaming of almost every sound sample and the lag that occured. My dreamcast dies every time I play that game.

Guile’s famous walking flash kick always pissed me off. :)

Charge while you jump forward, during combos, or while you execute other moves with long animations.

You are wrong. I like the fish guy too. He’s cool when he puffs up like a blowfish.

Mine makes horrible, horrible grinding noises whenever that game is in. It sounds like the thing is just going to shoot the disc-reading-mechanism right out of the front, into my soon-to-be-gaping chest cavity.

:(

Rikuo’s a good character, but ANAKARIS > *. He’s the only unorthodox character I’ve ever really mastered – I was a right bastard with him.

Yes. Playing the Hyper SF2 Anniversary Edition just made me want to fire up my DC version of SF3: Double Impact. I need some SERIOUS practice (Level 7 opponents didn’t let me win a single round; even when I played as Chun Li).

As far as a “dummy guide”, everything I know about SFII I learned from a Gamepro guide to SFII and SFII:Championship Edition, which I received with my copy of the SNES SFII cart. I never quite mastered the three-hit combo, nor the Dragon Punch, but my entire game was based on developing strategies that didn’t REQUIRE mastering funky controller manipulations.

If you’re willing to start at the lowest difficulty levels, muck around with the regular moves, and learn the strategies necessary to topple AI opponents, you’ll be more than halfway. Trust me: I used to be a pretty crumby fighter. Now I’m merely above-average :)

I just watched the Daigo video again. I was finally able to pick out Justin in the PIP in the corner, and the way he panics when he realizes what’s happening is priceless. Is Daigo the stone-faced iceman on the left?

Strategies shmategies… sure, when you get to the top level you need them, but the first thing every newbie fighter player should learn is how to block. Block, block and more block should be your goal. I taught a guy that was never good at fighters to be a fair to middling player simply by teaching how important it was to learn how to block.

Once you know how to block, the rest comes a lot easier because you’re not spending all your time picking yourself up off the ground.

–Dave

The Brade guide for the collection is actually really good. It’s packed with an insane amount of information and the strategy pages are written by highly ranked players.

I’m pretty terrible when it comes to 2D fighters, but after spending some time with the guide and practice mode I’m actually looking forward to some real competition. I expect to get beaten silly, but at least I’m at the point where I think I can learn some stuff from that.

Now what I need is a video to explain kara cancelling and at least show me what it’s supposed to look like.

Great suggestion, but the dude said that he doesn’t see what all the fuss is about.

If someone’s unimpressed with a game’s play mechanics, you don’t excite him by suggesting mastery in something as mundane as BLOCKING ;)

I suggested becoming comfortable with the basic moves first, since many folks who are getting their feet with the SF2 games (such as my siblings) would get frsutrated quickly if they had to master the art of the d-pad rotation.

BY ALL MEANS, start on the EASIEST difficulty levels, and work your way up - especially if you’re getting your ass handed to you on the normal difficulty levels.

I know what you mean, but I think the key to becoming good enough to not feel like you’re just pushing buttons with no return is to learn how to block. :)

–Dave

I have the same controller, and I hate the bastard. Logitech really screwed the pooch IMO with that Dpad, because NOT hitting a diagonal is a rarity. I was trying ot play FFXI with it and it was basically impossible to be accurate with the menus because it loves to send diagonals to the game - hence getting me killed regularly.

In short - fuck that thing. I got my girlfriend a $14.99 Speedpad from wal-mart that’s essentially the same animal without programability and it is totally accurate by comparison. Me? I picked up a $10 USB Xbox pad converter and it’s godly.

I had similar experiences with Thrustmaster’s Firestorm pad as well. Most PC gamepads are long on spec sheets and short on actual useability. By and large I wish I’d just gotten a PS2 controller converter and used it instead. Console manufacturers seem to really know how to put together a controller.

What I really don’t understand is why someone hasn’t come out with a piece of freeware to allow good programming features on any joystick or pad. You’d figure it would be easy, since all you need to do is take all the joystick input yourself, feed it through the interpreter for the programming, and then pump it out a virtual joystick that applications can use instead.

What are the default controls for PS2 Street Fighter Anniversary? I’m assembling my custom arcade control panel, but I probably won’t be able to pick up the game itself for a couple of days.

I’m guessing that:

Jab = Square
Strong punch = Triangle
Fierce punch = ??
Short kick = X
Forward kick = Circle
Roundhouse kick = ??

Are the big attacks R1 & R2, or L1 & R1, or… what?

As far as getting better goes, practice modes are invaluable. Sometimes just working on the execution of moves and combos at your own pace is the best way to improve. Knowing what to do doesn’t really matter if you can’t do it all that well.

I have the same controller, and I hate the bastard. Logitech really screwed the pooch IMO with that Dpad, because NOT hitting a diagonal is a rarity. I was trying ot play FFXI with it and it was basically impossible to be accurate with the menus because it loves to send diagonals to the game - hence getting me killed regularly.[/quote]

For what it’s worth, you do get used to the Dpad on this thing. I also bought the same pad recently, and after about a week of accidentally hitting the diagonals myself, i just suddenly got used to it. No more accidental diagonals and perfect special moves. I actually prefer it now because of how comfortable the concave Dpad feels. Still, it’s not unreasonable to want a pad that you don’t have to “get used to”.

I can’t recommend anything short of a 6+ button fighting stick for fighting games though. It feels like it takes so much more effort to do anything in a fighting game with a normal controller. Even the cheapest of fighting sticks would probably be better than a gamepad.