Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

New character reveal:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2017/03/23/a-new-cfn-is-coming-your-way

Sounds like Capcom is finally fixing the absymal online experience. The core netcode itself is good enough, but the other things that were making it miserable- it sounds like all of it is being fixed- alongside the gameplay fixes that will also be betaed next week.

Most likely the final version will hit at the end of April when the gameplay changes go public. Much of it is reverting the nerfs that were done at the start of S2- or in Urien’s case most of the buffs. Unfortunately not enough was done to Laura.

Finally fixing that insanely long downtime between matches :)

Also this is going to be free on Steam 28th as well.

Oh cool! Too bad it’s the same day of the Dark Souls 3 DLC. It never ends.

I think I might get into a street fighter game again…I’m kinda getting burned out on chess (again)

That’s good news. The matchmaking made SFV damn near unplayable, which sucks because it’s a fun game otherwise.

I wonder if we’ll be able to use practice mode while we wait during this free week. They said it was only the online content.

The beta is a separate game from the base game BTW- will be avaliable for download in a few minutes.

Training mode should be avaliable while you wait online- always has been, though supposedly wait times are going to be reduced.

Wow, I love this.

Okay, I don’t love it quite as much now that I’m no longer mashing the shit out of the buttons to enjoy the spectacle. I can already feel the same adrenaline rush “grind” from every other multiplayer game. Eh…

I’ve stuck with Ken so far because I don’t even understand most of the other characters’ movelists, and there’s no training in the beta. I don’t know a single punish or a single combo other than the MK-HK target combo. But I’m at a 50% win ratio just by blocking, not jumping much, and countering with normals. Plus using a few tricks I’ve picked up from watching the pro tour, hah.

I definitely think I could get $20 out of this just messing around with some characters and enjoying the crush counter sound effect. I don’t think I have to get into it super hardcore. I’m still worried about time commitment if I get too hooked.

Anyone else playing the beta? Matchmaking seemed decent. I got casual matches in 30-60 seconds with signal quality set to 5. The connections were fine in most of them.

It gets a bit worse the higher up you go rankwise, as the number of players you can play goes down, but it’s still pretty good thanks to crossplay.

I think the initial curve from button mashing to diliberate play can be pretty steep and thankless, but once you get over that hump I’ve found the game to be very enjoyable, even at low levels like I am at.

This game is a riot. Went up as Alex against a Zangief newbie that just spammed flying knee (I couldn’t help but laugh) and I would block and counter

It was game 3, 1 round a piece, last sliver of life left, I countered with crouching medium kick, cancelled into V-Trigger, and spammed what I hoped was the super combo move as fast as I could. AND I GOT IT! I stood up from my chair and said “fuck yes!” First super ever.

That was fun.

next step is to confirm the activation into the V-trigger clothesline, then you have all day to do fierce/strong flash chop/super, or fierce/backdrop (your command grab powers up when opponent is backturned)

The exact commands for this are in the missions under combo challenges. Alex’s V-trigger is really good, even if Alex himself is terrible right now (upcoming patch will improve him some)

Awesome!

Oh, thanks, but I’m not actually learning Alex, just trying to play a game with every DLC character in the beta. It’s hard because all the rookies want to leghump me constantly so I don’t even get a chance to get any moves out. Haha!

This isn’t helping me because now I want to play all these characters. I haven’t fired up the main game yet but I hope I can run through some combo challenges with every character (not DLC anyway) to get it out of my system.

I can’t even do the first combo trial for Ken: jumping high punch, standing medium punch, and hadoken. I assume I’m failing to execute the fireball quickly enough.

I remember when I did the Skullgirls tutorial years ago I got completely stuck on moving my hands properly to execute the combos. I guess it’s time to practice.

Street Fighter 5 uses a buffer system so you want to input the next move while the previous one is finishing. It’s s little weird at first since it a bit counter intuitive.

Yeah I know. Getting the timing down is the hard part.

Based on some other trials, it looks like the window to cancel moves into other moves slams shut pretty quickly. I can see this with the standing hard kick into Ken’s V-Skill kick (hold MP/MK) since that is easier for me to execute than a fireball. If I smack the buttons as quickly as I can after the heavy kick, the combo will come out. If I wait a couple more frames it seems to eat the input and won’t do it again until it’s already too late.