Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

Made it to Silver after beating an Urien where I had no idea what to do against him. After the first game, I nope’d out of there as fast as I could. Haha!

I still have no idea how to play this game and my execution is even worse than before, but I want to take a break to focus on other games for a while.

Maybe when Capcom Pro Tour starts up again I will get back into it.

I’m starting to feel better about the way I play. The bottom line for me is I need to invest time in learning the stuff people already know so I can be better prepared, both to execute my own things and to know what to expect from them. Execution still isn’t superb, and combos aren’t long, but I did beat some people in ranked last night that were a ways above me. That felt good.

SFV:AE is quickly becoming my favorite game in the series tbh. The animation is so much fun to watch. I love the facial expressions on all the characters. There’s so much personality. I mean, I remember when SEGA was pioneering this stuff in 3D with Virtua Fighter Kids many years ago now. We’ve come a long way.

SF5 hard knockdowns and knockdowns that give guaranteed oki (followup attacks that will beat non-invincible attacks) are huge in this game.

Upside-down kick is best used in those oki situations, you mix between upside-down kick and throw, and if the kick hits, you start a combo. It’s too good IMO (I think Guile is a top-3 char in SF5 still)

Overall I’m really not feeling S3 right now- why I’m starting to look at other games. A lot of folks are doing this locally as well. DBFZ is taking a lot of folks, but I also live in an area that has never liked Street Fighter after 3rd strike.

I’ve played DBFZ a bit and I am REALLY struggling with GOKU VS. GOKU VS. GOKU VS. GOKU VS. GOKU… Ugh. I’m glad I got it for free with my PS4 Pro. I would’ve been disappointed.

What I really want is a Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting game with the production values of Street Fighter V. I don’t want another KoF… I want a more tightly focused one on one fighter from SNK that takes animation to the level of their 2D games in the same way Capcom and ArcSys are doing in their games. Pipe dream, I know.

I’d love to see a remake of Real Bout or Wild Ambition done by Lab Zero.

Garou: MotW or GTFO.

I can’t stand DBZ mainly because the artstyle is so off putting. Everything looks the same and the female are so weird looking.

Not to mention what @DaveLong said regarding Goku and Vegeta 100x.

In other news I just reached Ultra Gold. I noticed I play really bad when my kids are around. A few times my 2 year old switched my display inputs which crashes SFV for me, turned off my controller mid combo, or asked me to drink invisible water during a jump in. So lesson learned. :).

You are definitely entering the realm of tournament entry. Find a local one and give it a shot!

I used to do tournaments in 3S and CvS2 days. But 2 kids and my old reflexes aren’t cutting it.

I find this game too swingy at times. SFV compared to SF3S feels like Hearthstone compared to Magic if that makes any sense.

I prob have the oldest reflexes in here, so that’s no excuse.

That said, I’ve kinda dropped the game for Tekken lately. Just not feeling S3’s major balance issues. Also looking really forward to Cross Tag Battle for some reason- might even pick up a PS4 for it.

@Alstein I think it’s a good idea to take a break from any competitive game in order to not to find burn out.
That said, this is the only SF that puts me on tilt. So I might take a small break from it in order to enjoy more.

I could never get into Tekken despite my best attempts since 1. Too many moves.

Apparently in this new patch you return to practice mode instantly after a match. That’s a nice improvement.

I see Ken has some new step kick juggles. Looks fun as hell and even I can do that.

The patch killed the last of my desire to play this game. Destroyed my character hard, and I already wasn’t feeling it anymore. Going to be concentrating more on Tekken now.

Waiting for Cross Tag Battle now. (Seriously, this might end up being Tom’s favorite fighting since he liked Blazblue and Marvel, and it’s going to be simpler on commands than both of those games.)

I ended up switching to Akuma and I’ve started to have fun again with SF5. His combos are a lot of fun and even though I am loosing more since I’m not super familiar with him yet I seem to be having more fun. It’s definitely rekindled an interest to practice and play.

I haven’t seen much of Cross Tag Battle, but it look sa bit complicated and frantic to me, which I have a hard time with. I like the roster though. I worry it will just be too much for me since I strugggled so much with Guilty Gear and MvCI (I like both games but they are pretty overwhelming).

I actually think the Arika game looks cool, and paced in a way I prefer (all the team games seem so chaotic to me). I’m definitely waiting for reviews though.

I never thought there’d be a game I was a goddamned whale for.

I shamefully own all the cosmetic DLC for this game.

Isn’t that near $1000 at this point, Chun-Li is $100 by herself.

no, closer to $300. you can buy some combo packs and most of the rest are $4 CAD each.

And I thought I was bad after buying a few costume packs on sale and the CPT Pro Tour support pack. Thanks for making me feel better about myself. :)

It looks like I’m going to have to buy costume DLC in 2018 with real money. Am I part of the problem?

I use Ken’s MK-HK target combo a lot. It does slightly more damage than the b.MP-HP target combo and it’s easier to perform. I never understood why you’d use the punch combo.

Last night I finally figured it out. MK has 8 frames of startup, and b.MP has 5 frames of startup, which means it can punish more attacks.

Mind blowing. I can’t believe I didn’t figure this out until now.