Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

To be honest, buying it after playing DS3 sounds like a win/win. SFV will be more feature complete and have more fighters out by then.

The game is definitely super fun to play but it’s also going to get much better.

I’ve never liked Ken, and I’m surprised how much I like watching him in this game.

Are you watching Winter Brawl, Tim? These Ken’s are really impressive.

The Ken vs Dhalsim matchup in particular was crazy.

Of course. I said I was addicted! Missed the last couple of losers bracket games but that’s okay.

Sometimes I think fighting games are more fun to watch than to actually play.

It depends on how stressful the game is. I honestly don’t enjoy watching fighters because I want to play them.

I’ve gotten to play some A-list pros online the past couple of weeks. Got destroyed usually, though I did manage to beat a former EVO Marvel Champ, even if he is washed up these days. Then again, I’m pretty washed up myself.

One thing this weekend tourney results are showing is that this really is a new game, and that we’re going to see a lot more variance in results and winners. The Daigos of the world will still win more often than not, but they won’t win as often.

I definitely enjoy watching the events more than playing myself. Part of it is there was nothing like this when I was playing SF2 in the arcade, so it’s really cool to see the hobby continue to grow. The other part is seeing people vastly more practiced and skilled really push their fighters to the limit. The mind games, guessing, tech – all the other things that come out of strong competition – are really fun to watch.

In this particular tournament no one knew if Dhalsim was going to be beatable, so it was cool to see that play out. It’s still very early so I’m not quite sure it’s going to be a free-for-all, anyone can win any event, for too much longer.

Winter Brawl was right down the road from me and had I been paying attention, I would have attended! Street Fighter V play was very good, but the highlight of the weekend was KaneBlueRiver putting Filipino Champ in his place on Sunday by winning the UMvC3 tourney after FChamp disrespected him big time on Saturday night.

Payback when it actually counts is so sweet. :)

Here’s the Marvel matches if anyone is interested in watching those. I can only vaguely follow what’s going on in those games but it’s Hulk vs Magneto so you know who I was rooting for.

I saw the clip of the guy getting in his face (and breaking his own stick and headset in the process, so he already got a good lesson).

I heard the source of the “beef” but this kind of stuff is even sillier for pro videogames than it is for pro sports. Funny to see the parallels though.

If they ever start to approach the character variety of SSFIV I’m in. Plus I’m sad because I loved the shit out of Gouken and I need more of my weird ass kicking old man.

It’s always possible things will change but the 2016 season pass includes: Alex, Guile, Balrog, Ibuki, Juri, and Urien. The plan is for them to keep adding to SFV every year, so if you figure they plan to have six characters for their annual season passes then it’s pretty easy to sort out when exactly you’d want to buy into the game. If you want to buy in at all, that is.

I’m happy to toss money at them for a season pass and some costumes but I would understand people being turned off by rampant DLC and a cash shop.

It started with the same number of characters as SFIV vanilla arcade did. After seven months, assuming they stay on schedule, it will have 3 less than console SFIV.

The first new character is supposed to be this month, Alex (from SF3 fame).

BTW Filipino Champ is a massive heel, and probably one of the publicly least well-behaved folks out there. KBR isn’t that well regarded either. They’re the equivalent of say, Leffen in the Smash Bros community (and ironically Leffen is one of the folks tagged for being a serial online ragequitter, he’ll probably be getting a visit from the CapCops soon)

The problem with this DLC model as I see it is portability. If I start playing a character that isn’t available at launch and then go to my friend’s house, I have to rely on him having the same character purchased.

That is an issue. One of you can always use fight money to buy the other one’s character (it’s 100k fight money, doable by running through some survivals), and you can run the game on the other account if necessary.

I thought that might happen with Smash since Nintendo already went this route with Smash 4, but it didn’t happen. They priced characters reasonably and spaced them out far enough that everyone buys in.

Capcom is even going to let you earn character purchases with Fight Money so you just have to play a lot to “buy” characters as they get released.

It’s not as onerous as it seems. Plus, I think it works a lot better than asking people to pay $30 for an add-on. $6 a character on Wii U was totally cool.

If you can grind survival, you can unlock the entire cast. That said, Hell survival is not only tedious, but with cheap AI. That said, the easy and normal plus story mode all around would get you close.

That said, the competitive sorts HATE these modes, so they’re willing to pay the money to not play them. I think whoever designed Survival should be forced to stand in front of the Evo crowd in a stream monsters bring the weapons event.

Anyone who values their time will pay money not to play them. I’ll unlock all the colors the moment they hit the shop because I have better things to do with my SFV gaming time.

Picked this up along with the Hori fight pad and I am really enjoying it. As someone who really hasn’t played much SF since 1993 or so I am a bit bummed about the lack of any good single player though. Some SP with some decent AI would be nice since I could get a lot of fights in while I get used to the controls again. Online is fun and matchmaking generally has been OK, but you just can’t get in a lot of fights that way.

battle lounges are the best way to get online fights in quickly. Folks don’t play random casual because the lounges are better, and ranked is a wasteland of ragequitting- especially around the achievement checkpoints. Finally hit 4000 today, so I don’t have to touch that mode anymore.

With the load times being so long, I don’t know if a ragequit penalty will get folks to return to it.

Capcom has pretty much guaranteed I’m going to be taking a good look at Killer Instinct when it hits PC on the 29th, despite the gameplay being excellent.