Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

I’ve enjoyed the lounge when people are on, but it would be nice to have another option for when no one is around. I agree on the rage quit stuff. Pretty annoying.

I haven’t experienced too much problems with the ragequitting. It happens every once in a while, but definitely isnt a reason to not play ranked. I think it’s gone up as I’ve increased in rating though, which makes sense. I’m currently rated about 2600 LP.

I’m really digging the flow of the game. David from the UltraChen team said it is basically Street Fighter III: Third Strike without parries. Since third strike has been my go to fighting game for a long time and I never really bought into SFIV I’m loving SFV.

If anyone’s bored, I’d love to hear a breakdown of the historical differences. Maybe someone on the Internet has already written about this.

I’d love that too! I’ve learned some basic history of the game from various articles (Polygon’s piece on SF2 was fantastic), but an overview of the whole series would be cool. I’ve really only played 4 and 5.

Yeah, I haven’t seen that much ragequitting, but I still find it pretty annoying. I wish that they would give you the “win” anyway if someone DC’s (and ideally give that person the loss). That might lead to the occasional artificial loss in the event that someone actually does loose internet connection, but I think that is so rare that it would solve more problems than it causes.

I fired up my PS4 two hours ago to play Salt and Sanctuary, then decided to take a peek at the NorCal Regionals stream.

The only time I’ve been able to breathe is when they go to a break.

The first update for the game is supposed to hit tomorrow, with the first DLC character Thursday morning (Alex) He will be free for the first month, as Capcom doesn’t have faith in its paid shop yet, so they’re not charging for anything until they have faith in it.

I love watching Julio’s Ken, but he always seems to hit a brick wall against a well-executed top-tier character like Justin Wong playing Karin.

Some of these grand finals matchups feel somewhat predetermined anyway. All the action happens prior to that.

Well there’s always Momochi Ken, who won the bigger event today.

Gotta remember Capcom hasn’t put a balance pass to this game yet, and won’t until 2017.

To me, SFV is not as fun a game to spectate as SFIV, though it is more fun to play. The hardest stuff is a lot more subtle in SFV, so it doesn’t pop out as much.

I didn’t realize Stunfest had an SF5 tournament. I’m so used to hearing about it from the shoot 'em up perspective.

That Tokido-Momochi match was great.

I really enjoyed watching SF4, but I like watching SF5 just as much. I enjoy the audio-visual payoff from these hit-confirm combos.

I prefer watching and playing SF5 since it’s less about mega combos and there is more back and forth to the fighting. Pity it’s such a sad little package of a game, since I think the fighting is so good.

It’s a divisive game- some folks dislike it for that very reason, though for me this game scratches most of the same itch VF did, and the guy who came in 2nd at Stunfest has a heavy VF pedigree (Itabashi Zangief/Itazan is another Japanese player with that pedigree)

Tokido!

Great final 8 at CEO this weekend. Can’t wait for EVO.

Ugh. Do I really want to play this game? It’s on sale for $30. I wasn’t able to get interested in any of the other fighting games, but I really want to play with some of these characters and the online matchmaking looks easy to get into.

Well after months of work, study and practice I had finally climbed to super Bronze and even had pulled a few rounds off of some Ultra Silver players and such. I was really starting to seem some modest results with Ryu for all my hard work.

Then season 2 hit and rebalanced things and Ryu no longer worked, at least the way I was using him. After a week if getting stuffed and not winning a single round I found myself back at rookie wondering what had happened. After all that work I have basically found myself back at square one.

I really just don’t have it in me to start over again, it’s just too disheartening. I wish Capcom hadn’t done this rebalance, but I really don’t think they care much for beginners. Ah well. It was fun for a bit to try to learn some Street Fighter.

Perhaps it’s on to Guilty Gear, of maybe just hone my budding Hanzo game. :)

Ryu got hit pretty hard in S2. Almost as hard as Mika and Birdie.

A rebalance is necessary to freshen things up competitively, but Capcom could have done a better job- I suspect they had a directive to slam certain things into the ground, and didn’t pay enough attention to the knock-ons from that.

Sim, Guile, and Urien seem to be the dominant characters right now. Akuma might be but poor health will hurt a bit, and I’m not buying Gief being good. Those three have safe offense, which is huge right now given how terrible defense is.

Yeah, I it makes sense that they need to keep the game fresh for competitive play but man is it frustrating as a beginner. There is basically no in game reward to learning SF5, unlike a game like Overwatch where win or loose you always seem to get the occasional neat little doodad. On top of that my personal progression has largely been wiped away by these changes.

Capcom has really made SF5 just too thankless a task for me I suppose. Maybe if the character I was using didn’t get hit as hard, or I had more time before the patch hit to see some successes I might feel differently. But for me, at this stage, going back to square one is just too big a bummer.

I find myself disappointed since I really did want to finally learn some SF. :(

This is discouraging, but I guess I haven’t lost any progress since I haven’t started playing. I guess my problem would be if I can’t find time for the game until the fall. Then they’ll be ready to rebalance for season 3 in a few months!

Are Ken and Karin still decent?

Yeah, it really is the loss of progress in such an uphill battle that is so demoralizing for me.

Did you really lose progress? I main Ryu, and the only thing that’s changed about my gameplay is I can’t mash dragon punch anymore because almost everything beats it now. It’s taken me a while to switch to Ex dragon punch as the guaranteed reversal.

I haven’t read the patch notes, but everything feels pretty much the same. Maybe there is some subtle stuff I haven’t noticed yet, but I literally haven’t changed my gameplay and I’m still playing at ~3000 LP which is where I was before the patch.

If you’re looking for resources to up your game, may I recommended the excellent Footsies Handbook: Footsies Handbook | sonic hurricane dot com

It’s not written for Street Fighter V, actually it uses examples from different games, but it teaches you the fundamentals of ground play and footsies with video examples. My game really stepped up after studying this guide.

edit:

There is basically no in game reward to learning SF5, unlike a game like Overwatch where win or loose you always seem to get the occasional neat little doodad.

Huh? Isn’t watching your rating climb a sufficient reward? Going up in leagues? Getting achievements?