Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

Nice, I’m glad your experience in season 2 has been more positive than mine has been.

I saw your original message, I guess the point I’m getting at is I didn’t really notice too much of a difference in normals. I haven’t really changed my gameplan yet. I’m sure I’ll notice more as I play.

Don’t give up on street fighter!

I know that having friends to play with really helps. I used to play street fighter 3 on xbox live in voice chat lobbies and it was pretty fun. Unfortunately streeet fighter V has no voice chat that I know of. Maybe on playstation you can join a lobbies party or something? I’m playing on PC and I’ve never communicated with anyone inside of the actual game :(

Yeah, think the real issue is that the player pool is too small and skewed too high for any real matchmaking in the Rookie/Bronze tier. This forces new players to frequently “play up” against opponents who are consideably better than them.

While playing against people that are better than you is a good way to improve, if the opponent is too good it doesn’t help much. Imagine playing tennis with someone who can ace you on every serve, your not going to learn much from that.

With Ryu’s normals I was starting to be able to block and poke back a bit against these players slowing them down a bit. Now that those normals are slower they are getting beat out more resulting in me getting combo’d off the board a lot more again without really getting to do much. That’s why, for me, it feels like square one (though more like square 1.3 or something). The evidence is in the numbers. In the week following S2 I dropped from around 900LP downed to 300LP using Ryu and I don’t think I won a single match. I wasn’t really doing anything different, but the normals just were getting beat out and I was getting combo’d into oblivion.

Maybe I can adapt to the new timing, but being a beginner SF player is such a thankless task I’m not sure I want to bother. Maybe it shouldn’t be necessary, but psychologically it’s nicer if as you learn a new game you get some sort of trinket for your efforts. Overwatch does this really well. My first few nights were pretty rough, but at least I got some cool skins from loot boxes.

Anyway, it’s hard to say if this is the end for Street Fighter for me of not. I still, play some, but mostly against the AI and I’ve stopped with my daily practice sessions. I might get back to it, or maybe just move on to Overwatch where the matchmaking is so terrific almost every game is super close and exciting.

Maybe try a different character with faster normals like Laura or Cammy?

Yeesh. Capcom financial results reveal that by the the end of 2016, Street Fighter V had sold 1.5 million units. That’s over all platforms and including digital sales. Keep in mind that the game had sold about 1.4 million by March’s end.

I, um, had to move this to the deep backlog. I’ve been talking it up as the time I’m finally going to give a fighting game my best shot. I just can’t squeeze it in right now. :(

I think you’re right on here. I was a big fan of Street Fighter and the Marvel vs. series back in it’s 2D sprite based days. Back then it was whoever was at the arcade or whoever came over your house to play.

It’s way too much effort now to pick up the new games. I had SF4 and tried to play online and it’s just an exercise in frustration. It’s one thing to lose, it’s another thing to lose without landing a hit on your opponent, over and over and over again. Practicing in the training room is the antithesis of fun. I want to learn by playing, and there’s no entry-level bracket to do that it.

I don’t know what the solution is other than making the games more casual, dumbing it down. Take away all the XFactor, EX counters, combo breakers, all the shit the pro players love. SF2 had 2 or 3 moves per character and it sold like 10 million copies. Overwatch has 2 or 3 moves per character and sold 25 million copies.

Just for reference, before SFV launched Capcom had projected 2 million sales by the end of March. It hasn’t even hit that number yet.

On the flip side, there’s no data for the DLC sales. Maybe the players buy all of the DLC? I seriously doubt it, but anything is possible, I guess.

This does line up with them spamming sales last month.

I’ll hold out until they’re desperate enough to give us a free weekend.

I’ve dabbled in fighting games. Some I get more into than others. I own a lot of the SF games. On this latest one, they did an amazing job of making sure average gamer Joe has zero reason to ever look at it. How many professional SF fans, aspiring SF professional fans, and nostaligic massochists are there? Can a marketshare be built off of that? I’m guessing the answers are about 1.4 million and probably not.

Maybe they need to make Street Fighter Beach Volleyball EX+a to re-engage the fanbase.

Also, I have to think Devil May Cry 5 could poop out at least 1.5 million units. I wish they had made that instead!

I think they need to admit to themselves that Street Fighter just isn’t that big a deal these days and switch over to a MOBA like business model to try to get butts in seats. I think reducing the financial barrier to entry might get more new players to try the game, solving some of the matchmaking issues for beginners.

I’m not sure about dumping all the flashy stuff. I do think it would make the game more approachable, but if might take away some of the spectating wiz bang. Maybe somewhere in the middle would be best.

What’s amazing is that when I popped into the FGC area to check on reactions, I see hardcore folks saying the poor sales are a result of SFV not being tournament elite, or blaming the “counter timing” or other minutia.

Yeah, guys. The game didn’t appeal to the wider audience because it’s not hardcore enough.

I messed around a bit with other characters, but it was enough work to get Ryu going a bit that I didn’t feel like doing it over again. Plus none of the other characters really grabbed me. I’m hoping that maybe a new DLC character excites me again, or they revert the game back to something closer to season one across the board. I think the season 2 changes were too sweeping and just served to make everything less balanced and less “fun” as if were.

Yeah, a good deal of the FGC really seem to enjoy measuring their e-peen based on how “hardcore” they are. It kinda cracks me up a bit to be honest.

There are rumors of another patch before the CPT starts in earnest, but I don’t think it will change the no wakeup DP rule for this year.

As for why SFV failed- it was because it shipped buggy and incomplete (and it’s still buggy)- Capcom got what it deserved for making this game on the cheap.

The FGC is mad at the game in general, and at Capcom for screwing up. The problem is most of them haven’t found that other game to appeal to them. May-June timeframe gonna be interesting with Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 releasing within a couple weeks of each other.

What I really want is normals balanced out better and less “safe super”. I think players should need to fight from the neutral to get hit confirms to follow into supers. Not just throw stuff out so much with no repercussions.

I’m not a game designer so I’m not sure how to do all that from a technical standpoint, but that’s more the sort of game I’d like to play and Season 1 felt more like that to me. Truthfully Season 1 was the first time I’d truly enjoyed s SF game since SF2, I’m sad it’s gone now.

As for DP’s I’m not sure I agree they needed nerfing since they are so incredibly unsafe on block/whiff, but that’s not really why I dislike the game now.

Supers aren’t safe- no idea what you’re talking about.

the only safe super is Ryu’s in trigger if it connects, and Cammy’s RH one if it whiffs is usually safe.

Laura’s L. Dash elbow thing is definitely safe. Balrogs dash punch is nigh impossible to punish as well. Also Sonic Booms are pretty darned safe. Just to name a few.

Maybe if you are Diago you can blow that stuff up no problem, but from my perspective it just isn’t fun.

Anyway, I’m not going to bother arguing lots of specifics in Street Fighter with you, suffice to say I don’t like season two. From my perspective a move that requires a godlike read and execution to punish might as well be safe. Certainly I can acknowledge the argument that at top tiers these moves might be easily dealt with, but for a new player that doesn’t help much.