Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

Yeah I know. Getting the timing down is the hard part.

Based on some other trials, it looks like the window to cancel moves into other moves slams shut pretty quickly. I can see this with the standing hard kick into Ken’s V-Skill kick (hold MP/MK) since that is easier for me to execute than a fireball. If I smack the buttons as quickly as I can after the heavy kick, the combo will come out. If I wait a couple more frames it seems to eat the input and won’t do it again until it’s already too late.

Combo timing for the most part is a lot easier than previous games in the series.

Generally you want to do buffers quickly if you know it will hit. Links are different, but most of them are pretty easy. What is hard is buffering from a light attack- I have real difficulty with this and it holds me back some at the level I’m playing at.

You do get 3 frames (1/20th of a sec) of leniency on links now which is nice.

One thing you’ll want to get down is ken’s jab link into his target combo- that opens up big damage off your jab.

Yeah according to this progression I’ll need a fast punish combo that starts with a jab. That’s the only thing I felt like I was really missing in my first 20 matches or whatever. Obviously I’m missing a ton but it felt frustrating to leave so much damage on the table when I blocked shoryukens and critical arts.

Yeah, I spend hours practicing combos off light attacks for Ryu. I’m still not 100% but I’ve hit a few in matches off Crush Counter. Super satisfying!

https://twitter.com/duckhelmet/status/843573083290161154

I hope getting better at it helps with me frustration at a lot of specials being safe against medium attacks in this game. I block them and want to respond, but my medium punch combos are too slow to start up.

when you block a shoryuken, you do your crush counter combo, not a jab combo.
Jab combos are for the moves that are barely unsafe. I suck at jab combos (at least my character kinda does too)

One bizarre tidbit I used earlier today- you can actually crush Akuma in-between the 1st and 2nd parts of his EX DP. Made him pay for trying to get those extra 2 pixels of block damage before his trigger.

Not sure if that reply was meant for me but if it was I was referring to my incorporation of S.LK > L.Tatsu into my play since that is a sequence I have been working on. In the example it’s woven into a Crush Counter punish, but I’m pleased I’m beginning to be able to use that sequence in play.

Looks like it was intended for TimJames (based on the upper right corner of his post). I was also confused because that video looked like a great execution of a crush counter to a blocked shoryuken, but seems like it was just bad luck.

I got to Super Bronze back when I was playing and I always just grabbed after missed shoryuken. Probably part of why I totally stopped progressing.

Now that you say that, it’s weird they suggest starting with a jab combo. I got so many obvious crush counter opportunities from blocking dragon punch type moves. Seems like that would be easier to combo?

Jab combos are for jab punishes. You use jab punishes for moves that are -4.
Crush counters are for punishing crush counterable moves, or when you’re fishing for something when you’re at advantage.

A dragon punch= crush counter, not jab.

@merryprankster remember you can follow that up with a super (and I believe EX Dp in the corner, unsure about midscreen)

Yeah, I do practice the CA after the Tatsu on that, but I recently switched to stick and have had trouble getting the CA input down on it (other things like DP are easier though). I didn’t know you could juggle that into EX DP with Ryu though. I’ll have to learn that. :)

There, I landed Ken’s first trial combo one time by breaking it into its component parts. The input buffering makes more sense now. For example, I can’t press the button for a standing punch while I’m still in the air for the jump attack. (Maybe the 3 frame input buffer comes into play here but I couldn’t detect it yet.) And I just have to be light on my fingers to go from the standing punch to the hadoken.

I want to finish a couple games before I dive into this so I’m going to set it aside for now. I just wanted to nail that combo to know I could do it. I’ll practice later this month, maybe after the latest patch.

I got a chance to play for a bit yesterday. I love Urien. He’s a shotobreaker. So much fun wrecking all the Kens and Ryus.

How dare you!

He gets the nerf bat hard next month.

Just mad they’re not touching braindead Laura.

Evil! Just pure evil!

@Alstein I’m also surprised Laura made it through unscathed and I’m a bit doubtful that Rog got toned down enough. We’ll see.

I was a Ken guy for years… still am really… but I have always enjoyed playing the hard counter too. Urien is a lot of fun and that mirror seems to piss people off so bad. LOL!

I was a big Bison guy in IV but I really don’t dig him as much in V.

The thing I love about Street Fighter V is having a good block game seems to be super valuable. It hasn’t felt this good to block well since Street Fighter II!

CPT is on Twitch this weekend. So much fun to watch these high level guys play.

Hopefully someday more of my matches will be decided by outfoxing the opponent rather than who screws up the inputs less. #accidentalDP

The teabagging in CPT is getting overplayed.

After taking some time off for house sitting I’ve finally gotten back to SF5. I’m beginning to get the hang of the stick, which I’m think I enjoy more than the pad. Somehow it’s just more fun.

Also I’m pretty solidly in Bronze these days and I’m having a lot of fun close matches now. The climb to get to even the bottom wrung of the SF ladder was brutal, but now that I can play against these guys and have close matches it’s heaps of fun! :)

Remember that one time, when I won that one match? Good times, good times.