Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

Yeah, my ground game is definitely something I try to focus on. I still jump too much, but in the instance of that Akuma match it was on purpose since I’d figured out he wouldn’t punish me except on v-trigger.

In general though, jumping less is something I am actively trying to improve.

I do find I jump a lot against Akuma because anti air is difficult for me with the air fireball. Do you have any specific ideas for dealing with air fireball?

Awesome. Yeah, since he wasn’t punishing you at all there was not really any good reason to stop jumping.

I haven’t played SFV in a while, so I’m afraid I can’t help much with specific strategies against Akuma’s air fireball in this game. The go-to advice anytime you’re having trouble with something is to go into training mode, set the computer opponent to do the thing that you don’t know how to stop, and then see if you can find a consistent way to beat it. From playing a lot of SFIV, my suggestion is to try running under the fireballs. If you can do that, you might be able to hit him when he lands, throw him, or at least stop him from spamming air fireballs. If you have the lead, maybe sit back and throw fireballs out of his air fireball range.

Seriously, until you hit platinum, you can win most of the time by just waiting for the opponent to jump in and punishing.

what I do versus Akuma is I try to keep him out, throw pokes to try and tag him, but keep the jab button held so I can bullhorn when he jumps, as bullhorn as projectile invincible and the move goes up.

That said, it’s a pretty char specific strategy, and if I get knocked down once, I can lose the round due to Akuma’s vortex game. On top of that, Birdie’s ground attacks while good, are slow enough that they can be jumped over, Akuma just has to guess right once and the matchup goes from really good to really, really bad.

Against good players (better than I am- I’m a fraud), they won’t jump much because they know you can beat the air fireball, they’ll make you come to them and then jump when you attack, then play the vortex game. You have to beat that by guessing right with some chain attacks, or if they run away to full screen, you can drop a can and use that to try and get in, though you have to get around their fireball in the process.

Unsure if any of this helps, but this is the thought process I have vs Akuma with my character.

I haven’t played in forever but learning to jump straight up instead of jumping in is often an excellent tactic as it throws off the other player. This works in almost every 2D fighter.

Yeah, I should probably set up an Akuma practice dummy with air fireball and work something out. It’s a tough thing to deal with.

I agree that, at least in Bronze, the “wait for your opponent to do dumb shit” strategy seems very effective. I’ve been practicing my combos and I’m getting better and better at punishing said dumb shit. I’ve even started to get the first bits of reactive anti air DP going. :)

Air fireball is a tough one though, at least for me.

you can also jump forward and do nothing, if they’re trying to hit your limb it will whiff and you can whiff punish. This is much more effective with larger limbed characters.

I’m having so much fun with this. The best part is it has the same playing pace for me personally as a single-player beat 'em up: I’ll play with intensity for about 30 minutes, and then that feels like enough. That’s perfect for my time needs right now. Much better than playing PUBG where the hours melt away and I don’t always feel like I’ve accomplished anything.

Yeah, Destiny devours time but I find about an hour of SF5 is pretty satisfying.

How’s the wait time between matches these days? I stopped playing this early on because I was waiting a long time between my matches, but I know they were supposed to have made improvements. This thread is making me want to pick it up again, assuming these things are better now.

Very quick for casual matches at rookie matchmaking level, roughly a minute. I don’t know. The time melts away in practice mode. Sometimes I’m annoyed that I get a match, heh.

Just started ranked last night so I don’t know about that one.

It’s a little slower at the ultra plat/diamond trench, but quick enough on PC- you can always browse while playing.

The big issue is really the long loads once you get into a match- much of that is due to how bad the PS4 is, PC vs PC is a lot faster.

My first ever perfect in online Street Fighter. Couldn’t resist posting it. :)

I won my first ranked match, and then failed yet again to win a set against @merryprankster.

Break time now. I’m having a lot of fun (except when lagging!#@$) so I’m sure I’ll continue playing this through the fall. I just need a few weeks to wrap up some games and then take a breather.

So do people “give seconds” like we used to do in ye olde arcades?

No, not in this game. Damage is too high and random. Also, it’s not like losing costs you money.

Is this the same Street Fighter that the play in that eleague show? I have not kept up with this stuff.

It was on ELeague a few months ago.

Thanks!

Another question: For eleague games like Street Fighter and CS:GO, do the teams refer to themselves as teams, clans, guilds, etc.?

Not sure, SF5 is all individuals. It’s an invitational, which is different from most fighting game tournaments.