Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

I had this problem when I was starting. You don’t need a dummy to practice it. You just have to be mindful. When you play, just think about quick rising. Don’t think about winning. Just think about quick rising. Soon enough, it will become a habit and you will have a hard time NOT quick rising, like I do. :)

So much gold…

Probably going to pick this up on PS4 despite already owning the PC version. We had our annual Season’s Beating fighting game tournament on Saturday. I really wanted to do Street Fighter but with AE coming today it didn’t make sense to get two copies of the original game so we could run two setups. We ran Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, Nidhogg and Smash for Wii U instead.

Anyway, It’ll be cool to have it all on a console again even if it’s prettier on PC. Urien is my main and I have him on PC so I’ll be set no matter which platform I can access to play on. Looking forward to seeing what’s new!

They took away my fight money!

I made it to bronze, and I played one match remembering to quick rise. Goals complete on day one of AE.

I think I can tolerate the new UI if I can install a mod so I never have to press start to skip the ridiculous match intro. Displaying the calendar date is so dumb it offends me for some reason.

I’d like the old main menu music back too. It got me in the mood even though it was a little cheesy.

I’m pretty disappointed you can’t display the frame advantage colors while watching a replay. That would be a really easy way to learn when you can punish things. Oh well.

@merryprankster you should stick to Ryu just because EX Donkey Kick looks awesome!

I did poorly playing with a gamepad until I updated the firmware on the 360->PS4 Brook Converter so I could use my TE fightstick. I played all Casual though because I knew I’d suck with the standard DualShock 4.

I really like the glitz and glamour of the new UI. I do miss the main menu music though. I liked that a lot. It’s two years later and this feels like a complete game now. I really enjoyed it right from the start, but this is definitely a fuller package by a mile over what they shipped initially.

Now I just have to learn how to play better…

Also, EVERYONE IS SAKURA! Jeez…

Yeah I forgot everyone plays the new characters when they come out. Especially when they’re free. I might give it a few days to die down.

First night in Bronze was a wake-up call. I played a couple Super Bronze guys that didn’t make many mistakes I could punish. When I turtled they’d walk up and do an overhead or throw me. I think I need to get some games under my belt to get a feel for basic attacks like that and the various characters.

Sounds like you need to be a little more aggressive. Ideally, you want to put your opponent in a place where you know what they want to do and you’re prepared to punish them for doing it. That doesn’t mean you have to play fast and offensive – how you accomplish this depends on your playstyle and character. One of the most fundamental ways to do this is learning how to control space and play footsies. It’s a deep topic but it is important to understand on a basic level. You can find tons of videos about the subject on Youtube. This should help you keep your opponents from just walking up to you and doing what they want.

Yeah you’re right. I wanted to get a little further without actually digging into any deep topics like that. I’m still just having fun. Made it to Super Bronze without any changes, heh. I think I will turn off matchmaking and practice a little this weekend though.

First night of really bad connection issues. I’ve had poor games but I always thought people were overreacting about the networking. Yeah, it can get bad.

The basic ideas behind space control are good to know, even if you don’t want to worry about it too much. I recommend at least figuring out your basic zoning tools (Ryu for example has fireball, low mk into fireball, standing mk) to control space and figure out how they can be used to push your opponent into the corner. Understand the advantages you get when you corner the enemy. They feel trapped and they badly want to jump out, so you just standing there out of range can be threatening.

Switched to Ken since I needed a change from Ryu, but I didn’t want to throw away everything I had practiced, and I’m having a ball with this game again. I can’t land squat for combos yet, but I’d grown to hate Ryu so much it’s refreshing to play someone new. I probably should have switched ages ago, but I was still so shaky on so many basics a year a ago that switching up would have been tough.

Glad I’m having fun with SF5 again after being pretty meh in Season 2. I’m getting trounced, but at least I’m enjoying it. Hopefully once I get some of Ken’s stuff on lock I’ll start faring bit better.

I haven’t gotten back to Bronze yet. I seem to always get placed against people better than me lately and have to scratch out wins. That said, I’m like 40% win rate in ranked.

I really love the game. I’m glad I bought it on PS4 because it’s nice on the big TV. That said, the fight money changes have really slowed down the progress there I think. I’ve played a bunch and beat the challenges quickly and I’m nowhere near even a stage purchase atm. Hope they tinker with that again eventually.

Anyway, if you guys want to add me, it’s DaveLong on PC and DaveLongMG on PS4. I don’t always have a headset handy to chat, but I’ll join a Qt3 room if we ever set one up.

Added you. Happy to go easy on you guys while you get up to speed, hehe. I have tons of stuff to practice.

merryprankster and I don’t usually bother with microphones, just play a few games until we run out of good ideas against each other.

They’ve changed the matchmaking so that you no longer have to fight folks more than 1 league above or below you until you get to Diamond. Will make getting to Super Diamond easier.

Added you on CFN.

So umm, how do you actually beat a command throw? Alex did all sorts of things to me that confused the heck out of me.

backdash. Command grabs have massive recovery, and even more in AE. Punish fully.

Also judging from my time at PAX South folks are sleeping on Alex.

Is that the most optimal, or pretty much the only way? I’ll have to remember that. I see so few unique characters at low levels that it’s hard to get used to them.

Heck, it’s hard to remember much of anything when the match is on.