Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

I confess, this is true ;)

Charlie teased at the end of the latest video

Also actual match at Capcom Cup

Features stage changes, as well as special round finishers. Ryu performs one knocking Chun Li into a wall where a bowl of noodles falls on her head, and it is there on her head for the rest of the next round.

Hahaha, awesome. I’m looking forward to getting the pc version so I can still use my arcade stick. Having a consolidated online player pool sounds so great.

I want a noodle hat preorder bonus in TF2.

I hope the damage and meter-building seen in the live matches aren’t just from the game not going through balancing cycles yet. Those are the kinds of numbers that could get me to play SF5.

Well, my concern there is that I know Capcom’s going to eventually allow for comboing into activations into big damage. Fighting game series always push towards bigger combos, and I really don’t want SF to have Skullgirls combos. (if I want a game with those combos I’d play Skullgirls). I do like the push towards heavy hits being more impactful/damaging, I hope that is kept.

Then again my bias against combos might be because I’m a Hawk player.

they tend to go the other way, you can do flashy big combos but damage drops off quickly after the first few hits

Confirmed by Capcom and Epic: SFV runs on Unreal Engine 4.

SFIV and its offshoots used a proprietary engine.

Note that Unreal will be used in three of the big fighting games:

Tekken 7 - UE4
SFV - UE4
Mortal Kombat X - UE3

Four, since Guilty Gear Xrd also uses it.

Get with the times, Sm4sh!

If anyone from Epic reads this, and I know someone from Epic is on these boards. Make sure UE4 supports rollback netcode as much as possible- for these games it will be necessary.

I know someone who might be willing to help.

Lots of new info coming today, this article has some great information. It looks like they’ve made it a bit faster since the last we saw it, and I’m liking what I’m seeing re: damage output. Definitely looks to be an improvement over SF4.

Here’s some gameplay footage featuring the characters announced so far.

My opinions on this are overall pretty positive.

It sounds like Capcom is working an a proprietary GGPO-ish netcode which has rollback. That’s going to help, and it’s needed.
Sounds like there’s an input buffer. Hopefully it’s a bit more than what Omega Mode has in USF4, but at a minimum those hard links will be easier.
Damage is overall higher.

My big concern right now is inputs and input detection, and some of the crap that came from that. The lack of a focus attack should help make option selects not as a big a deal, but I suspect kara-throwing (a technique I despise) will still be in the game.

I don’t mind Kara throwing too much. It’s fairly straight forward of a concept to understand and the technique isn’t so hard with a little bit of practice (though maybe not on pad).

Would be happy to see option selects go away though. They are a chore in every way, and they give a huge advantage to people who can master them.

This is the big news for a lot of people:

“One comment we see a lot is that something like a Super Street Fighter 5 is going to come out on Xbox,” said the representative. “But the reality is that this is a real partnership. We are console exclusive for this franchise for this numbered run.”

Read that crouch tech was gone, and the removal of focus attack and the addition of more wakeup options should make the other forms of option select less obnoxious.

my issue with Kara-throwing is that I philosophically agree with Sirlin- it’s just better to give that character more throw range normally instead of making the input effectively harder. I have philosophical issues with arbitrary inputs (that’s a subjective stance, but I believe everything should be intuitive)

I’m still a bit bummed about no Xbox version. I’ve got MK:X to play, but have always preferred the back-blocking and less combo focus of SF. I don’t miss Ultras though.

I’m most excited about a unified online player base. That’s completely awesome.

I don’t disagree with you about deliberately building in the throw ranges, but it’s not like kara-throwing was something that they specifically designed into the game. It’s a side effect of the game engine (aka bug). I look at it as a set of inputs to execute, as you would with any other special move. Is it really any more arbitrary or difficult than rotating your joystick 360 degrees and pressing a button to get a command throw? (I hear they may be getting rid of that input also, though, which I’m totally on board with)

It’s a side effect that’s also avoidable. Mike Z and Skullgirls showed you can design a game without this bug.

BTW Don’t bet on 360s being removed, none of the chars revealed so far have ever been grapplers. (Personally I’d be happy with 360s being half-circles, button-mash moves may be gone which makes me happy as they were too difficult in SFIV)

While I don’t like the type of game Skullgirls is, I love the design of the inputs.

Speaking of bad input designs, NetherRealm games always piss me off with that kind of thing. They do a good things by designing the game to use simple inputs for special moves, but then they completely cock it up by making everything so confusing between characters. A fireball could be any of down forward 1, back forward 2, or maybe even down back 3, and however many other combinations, depending on which character you use. I can never keep any of them straight.

I wish fighting games would keep the inputs simple AND keep them somewhat consistent between characters. For as difficult of a game as MvC3 can be, that is one thing that I thought it did better than most other fighting games.