Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

Holy crap this game is really fun! The V-Powers that replaced Focus Attack take so much less skill to feel like a badass using. It’s not taking me long at all to memorize the move set but it’s taking me a lot of time to figure out how to apply it well, which feels perfect.

My only complaint so far is I wish multiplayer battles were longer than first to two wins. I keep ending fights feeling like I just figured out a good counter, but it’s likely a long time before I fight that character again, and even longer that I fight someone who plays the character similarly. I guess the real problem is I moved away from my Street Fighter friends a few years ago and no one I know here wants to sit on a couch, smack talk, and eat my fireballs.

Not wanting to derail this or anything but this sounds an awful lot like Evolve’s business model only without the furore, which fascinates me.

Full price game + free content updates and patches, purchasable characters and cosmetic skins. I’ve no doubt there’ll be multiple season passes too. The crucial difference is the fight money/in-game currency which you can accumulate to buy stuff. On one side you’ve got widespread condemnation, gnashing of teeth, and bile everywhere, and on the other you’ve seemingly got peace and harmony… is that all it takes to clear the divide? In-game currency? Seems 2K may have missed a trick there. Or am I just underestimating the power of an established IP and much-loved series?

Well 2v2 in a very deservingly venerated franchise vs a 5 player online only game of asymmetric multiplayer and a new ip to boot.

Kind of a bad decision on their part, plus a bad idea with a unique online only offering imo.

I don’t think it’s going to be possible to unlock all the characters with fight money unless you really, really grind this game out hard, so most folks are going to pay.
SF5 is going to end up like LOL, except that you pay $60 upfront, and can’t blame teammates and report them for your losses.

I paid $35 for the game and $25 for the season pass, which I figure is reasonable enough. I don’t see the comparison to LOL in terms of value since it’s almost $10 per champion, if you were to go that route, and I don’t need fight money for runes, rune pages or any of that assorted nonsense.

We’ll see how quickly they crank out the premium costumes and whether the non-premium costumes are more than simple tweaks to the standard. That remains to be seen.

The story mode costumes are about half and half- you see them in story mode. Only about 3 or 4 of them would I care about (Rashid, Charlie, Ken mostly)

Nope, you’ve got it, at least from my point of view. Allowing things to be earned in game is all the difference. Sure most players will likely by some stuff, that’s the idea, but if you are into SF I imagine you will play for many, many hours and you will accrue plenty of fight bucks. Evolve basically said, buy this game and all the add on stuff if you want to have more choices. I think Evolve might have been better received if playing matches had generated currency to get that stuff. Giving people choices as to how they earn gameplay content is important, otherwise you just feel forced into buying stuff and no one likes that.

I think that might have been some of the trouble Battlefront had. In multiplayer games it’s usually important to star “current” so you end up in for a penny, in for a pound. It’s easy to look at the total price tag and think, meh. If there is an end around to spending all that money it makes it more inviting.

I don’t think players will reasonably be able to earn enough in six months to get the 600k needed to buy all 6 characters, so it’s forced DLC. (Characters are something you have to buy in a fighting game- the other stuff is fluff)

I ended up buying the season pass so I could do some of the cosmetic stuff, and hopefully unlock colors without grinding that horrible survival mode.

Well, the devil is in the details. If the rate at which you earn in game currency is absurdly slow, then yeah, it’s all for not.

At 50 coins per win in an online match, it would take 2000 wins to get enough coins for a new character. You get coins per level up and Capcom says they will add more ways to get coins, but for now, you’re talking about quite the grind to get coins.

I have 16,000 currency from god knows what but it appears there’s ways to earn cash besides online fighting, of which I’ve done none so far.

A guy I’m watching stream from his PS4 has 170,000 fight bucks.

You get an early boost of coins from just playing the prologue stories and survival modes. Enough for one character unlock and some costumes or other stuff.

I tend to want to play a fighting game by fighting players- if that path is sub-optimal, I’m not happy. I’m hoping in March they give a way to unlock colors with fight money instead of stupid survival.

Finishing the crappy story mode gives you 160k and is the easiest fight money.

Oh lord, I have to finish all of those? I guess the skip button makes it tolerable.

At least the season pass allows me to save all that cash for costumes, so there is that.

Anyone else on pc getting crashes to desktop every 15 minutes? It’s weird, it didn’t happen once on the first day when the struggle was against the server. Now that the server is less borked (but still borked, get dc’d alot too) the crashes are now causing the sadness.

A few others have been reporting crashes but not every 15 minutes. I’ll say this- the game does run graphics cards pretty hard, so there’s a chance it might be an overheating issue.

Some costumes will require real money and won’t be purchasable with fight money. That’s been confirmed (the premium costumes are like that- buying the season pass gets you a premium for every DLC char)

Right, I’m only talking about fight money costumes. I doubt I’ll be picking up premium costumes for any fighters I’m not playing so I’m not too worried about that in terms of it being a huge money sink.

So… Nickel and diming us aside, I think the base game is really fucking awesome. It definitely feels more like Street Fighter II than any other entry in the series has since.

I say that because I have always struggled with one frame combos and similar bullshit in previous entries but always been good with reflexive blocking/countering and this game rewards the latter while not penalizing me for not being able to time a combo’s inputs with robotic precision.

It feela great and as noted above, the V Trigger stuff is super cool and easily added to a player’s repertoire. I like the X Factor feel (Marvel vs. Capcom 3 style) that it adds. You get that “oh shit!” moment when your opponent kicks it in or you start grinning if it’s you.

It’s clear they should have cooked it longer. One Super per character is another example of the bare minimum. I bought King of Fighters XII, so I am well versed in the hurry up and ship something approach to fighting games, but that had seriously broken online and other major issues. So far SFV has been solid, just with the bare minimum of content and a few online warts.

Most people should wait. Fighting fans can jump in.

Agree about your complaint. The game is fun as hell and I generally love how fast paced the rounds are, but everything is over so fast and it kind of takes a long a time to get a new match and sit through loading screens. I feel like I’m waiting around about as much as I am playing the game.

Are you manually searching for games and waiting around till it finds one? You can set up your battle settings to automatically search for a ranked and/or casual game, then you can jump into training mode and play around until a new match is ready. When the match is over, you can tell the game to dump you back into training until another match comes.