Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

I’ve tried both. You still have to sit through a couple screens of loading to get back to the training mode after a match. It’s cool that you can mess around with training mode while you wait, but I’d rather be fighting people. Granted I’m stuck playing on wireless for the next week (and not a very fast wireless connection at that), so it may be taking me longer to find matches than the average person.

As a side note, my subpar connection isn’t even noticeably slow most of the time which is a testament to how good the netcode is here.

Don’t play online fighting games on wireless. Even with the improved netcode- you make a laggy experience that is unfun for the other player.

Always use a wired connection.

It was released early so they could do Capcom Pro Tour for this year. The real money in SF is going to come from competitive players, not so much casuals, at least at this point. This is why I recommended waiting if you’re not a competitive player until at least summer.

That’s actually good to know. I was considering getting SFV but my only possibility for connection these days is wireless.

Eh, I think that’s alarmist. It really depends on your home set up. Wireless these days is really freaking fast if you have an AC level router. You shouldn’t discount purchasing a game unless you know your wireless stinks.

I’m on wifi and have only had 2-3 laggy games out of around 20. I haven’t had a bad one since I switched the connection limit to 3-5 (no idea what that means, but it seems to only connect me to fast connections now). I don’t know much about hardware, but I bought my router a couple weeks ago so maybe it’s really nice? Anyway, wifi is playing fine for me.

My Xbox One Elite controller d-pad/analog stick sucks for fighting games.

Okay, here’s my USB controller collection that I’ll be trying with SFV:

Buffalo Super Famicom controller
PlaySEGA Saturn controller
Mad Catz SF IV Tournament Edition for PS3
Mad Catz SF IV fight pad for Xbox 360
Mad Catz SoulCalibur V Arcade FightStick SOUL Edition for Xbox 360
Hori Real Arcade Pro VX SA for Xbox 360
Hori PS3 Fight Stick Mini 3
Hori PS4 Fight Stick Mini 4
Hori Fighting Commander 4
NeoGeo X Arcade Stick

It’s disappointing to hear the Elite controller is bad for fighting games, I thought of that as one of the draws to it when I was thinking of getting one last year (Street Fighter V specifically). In what way does it suck? And I assume you mean both the d-pads and stick sets you can swap out, so there was no good way to make that controller good for fighting games?

Any other thoughts on that one?

The placement is too far or close to the buttons for me depending on if I use the analog stick or the d-pad.

Alstein’s point isn’t that you won’t experience lag on wifi, it’s that your opponent will have deal with your teleporting around the screen on occasion. I have no idea if it’s only related to bad wifi rather than all wifi but I’d definitely be considerate of others and go wired if it’s an option. If it’s not, well what can you do?

I just impulsively bought a Hori Real Arcade Pro V fightstick. One of the reviewers mentions third party parts to improve the thing, like a beefier spring, an actuator and restrictor plate. Might this be something I can do myself if I have no experience modding fightsticks?

FWIW, I have been using the Hori Fighting Commander 4 and it’s been great. Six buttons on the top of the pad and there’s an alternate mode (a switch on the front of the controller) that turns the LB/LT into analog stick buttons, slides the LB/LT over to RT/RB and RT/RB naturally are among the six normal buttons for heavy kick/punch. My only issue is that I have some trouble with quarter circle moves not coming out quite right consistently on the dpad, which may just be a “me” problem.

Anyhow, what a great game. It’s a pity they felt pressured to release it so early but I do understand why they did what they did.

All wifi will do it at times, bad wifi does it more.

As for the modding of fightsticks, I won’t recommend it, and Hori buttons aren’t that bad.

Rei: if you’re on PC use the 360 stick, PS4 use PS4 or 3 stick.

About to hit a local tourney. Went 4-2, lost to local champ on stream and to another old head, looked like a chump when I lost and like a champ when I won.

This game makes me sad. I consistently get up to level 28 on these 30 level survival runs before dying, and whenever I decide to play some casual matches I lose over and over to other n00bs.

Anyone know any good educational videos or websites with combos?

Your best bet right now is to go to the ladder, view the profiles of high ranked players, see who’s playing your fighter and then save their replays and watch them. You could also try asking in twitch chat but that’s going to be hit or miss.

I’ve also found combos in and of themselves aren’t terribly important at first. Blocking, spacing yourself and poking with moves that don’t leave you open is how I’m winning games right now. I’ve kept to chaining a multi-hit EX attack off a 3-hit stagger rather than trying anything fancy.

Best resources I’ve seen so far…

Joe is correct, though, that fundamentals are probably more impactful to skill in this game than combos. Make sure you have a lock on the core stuff …defense, normal move ranges and utility, know how and when to quick rise both ways, practice v-reversals, maybe be able to hit your super off a hit confirmed special move. Once you feel comfortable with all that, you can build out your damage potential with combos.

Oh and crush counter punishes are super good against lower rank players who love to reversal on wake up. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy. Just wait for them to land, then hit them with your crush normal into the most damaging normal you can reach with into a special move or super. You’ll get so much easy damage if you can work that into your muscle memory.

if it’s a wakeup DP, anything is a crush counter.

Just playing a bunch online will help more then you’ll realize as well. Humans play way different then the AI. They usually have a few huge faults in their playstyle (at least the ones I’ve played against) so all you have to do is figure out what they are and abuse them. I’d take delirium’s point a bit farther and say new players like to use power moves far more often than they are useful. Even if you know no combos, you can punish EX dragon punches (and the many equivalent moves) by just dashing in and grabbing for a good bit of damage. Or just sweep kicking and playing mind-games with wake-up, which takes very little technical skill but has won me matches I was way behind on.

I’m definitely not an expert. (I didn’t know any of the combos in the video delirium linked. Thanks delirium!) But I’m winning about 60% of my casual and ranked matches so far just on fundamentals.

The PS3 SF4-TE sticks were detected as regular USB devices in Windows back when I tried them last–why wouldn’t they work with SFV? Does SFV only use Xinput now?

SFV currently has only xinput supported. It is on their fixlist, apparently it is an issue with UE4. Until then, they recommend using a remapper like x360ce, which is what I’m currently using. Steam forums in a pinned post has a list of programs. I know x360ce does not add any input lag that I noticed.

As for the online play suggestion above, there are faults with trying to learn online warrior-style. You should mix playing random matches with sets with people around your skill level to learn match-to-match adaptation. That’s something I lack and it cost me at that tourney I went to last night, where I got absolutely destroyed in both my losses when I couldn’t bully folks.

Also, lag does change the value of certain moves. It’s where the term “lag abuse” comes from, though I can tell with SF5 they made a real effort to avoid lag abuse.

This is true. I’ve learned far more playing a bunch with the same people then playing against randoms constantly. My point was more that if you want to learn how to play better against humans, don’t play against the AI, since in my experience it teaches habits against playstyles that I don’t really ever see.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was playing as Chun Li, but once I switched to Vega things started picking up and I was winning as many matches as I lost. Not claiming one fighter is better than another, but I guess some people will be better at different ones.