Streets of Rage 4 announced, but...

Doesn’t sound like Yuzo Koshiro is involved. We could also debate the art direction, but if Yuzo Koshiro isn’t involved, none of the rest really matters to me. Also no platforms or dates announced yet.

A new Streets of Rage is coming. Dotemu and Lizardcube, the publisher and developer of Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap , announced Streets of Rage 4 today in partnership with Sega.

Also involved in the creation of Streets of Rage 4 is Guard Crush Games, developer of Streets of Fury , a side-scrolling beat-’em-up released in 2015 that used digitized graphics.

I don’t know anything about Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap or Streets of Fury either, so this is all surprising, but also still just a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ from me so far.

That looks very nice but then I love the visuals in Wonder Boy (though I haven’t played it).

As far as the visuals go, it looks good, but a little more “stylized-cartoon” than what I pictured for the franchise. I could come around on that though, definitely interested in seeing more.

Max is by far the most interesting SoR character in play so it’s sad not to see him.

I’ll be surprised (and disappointed) if Axel and Blaze are really the only characters, I assume they’re just waiting to reveal more.

Random thoughts:

• I’d accept that Koshiro isn’t involved, as long as they make an effort to keep the same overall aesthetic, as a “passing of the guard” next-generation sort of thing. The music in that trailer is a pretty guitar-heavy sound though, in a way that doesn’t give me much confidence.
  • It’s kind of gross that Axel gets to have old-man treatment, but Blaze, presumably the same age, is still peak sexualization.
  • I can’t imagine they’d try to do this with only 2 characters. I assume they’ll release more character trailers as they move towards launch
  • Old-man Axel is pretty great, and I want a crossover with him and Garou:MOTW (Wild Wolf ) Terry.

I’ll probably check it out regardless though, assuming it isn’t terrible.

Uh…what?

Seems LizardCube’s involvement is limited to the cosmetics one. I’d have taken more comfort knowing they were working on the game design as well. The Street of Fury demo wasn’t really appealing… but maybe it was because of the fugly looks?

I mean, looking at Streets Of Fury, you can’t deny that they love the genre…but we’ll see if that’s enough, or if they have actual chops to back it up.

If you’re right that Axel is supposed to be “Old-man Axel”, then you’ve got a good point about Blaze. But it’s 2018, giving him a beard could just be a style thing too. Withholding judgement on that one.

🚨🚨🚨 YUZO KOSHIRO IS INVOLVED 🚨🚨🚨

I am cautiously excited.

Ha! I just came here to post that. Not only is he involved, so are Motohiro Kawashima, Yoko Shimomura, Hideki Naganuma and Keiji Yamagishi. It’s a who’s who of composers from that era. I am super pumped for this game. We should be excite!

Yuzo Koshiro’s Twitter account is pretty good. You can translate his tweets of course, but he usually speaks in english when he does video clips now.

http://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro

New footage announcing another character, and four player local co-op.

Not Streets of Rage 4 related, but the original three soundtracks remastered by Data Discs for vinyl originally are now available for purchase digitally:

And we have a release date, April 30!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-17-streets-of-rage-4-comes-out-at-the-end-of-april

It will also be on Xbox Game Pass at launch.

Eurogamer loves it:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-29-streets-of-rage-4-review-beloved-beat-em-up-gets-the-sonic-mania-treatment

I watched IGN’s video review, and they didn’t love it, but based on what I saw I think I’m gonna be pretty happy with it!

Edit: if you haven’t been following the updates and reveals, there are “spoilers” about some of the unlockable characters in the video.

Well screw IGN. It looks good to me, a child of 80s games.

Haven’t watched this yet but Digital Foundry has their “Tech Review + Series Retrospective” up too:

This is the first thing I will buy when I’m working again.