Student handcuffed for carrying Arabic flash cards

And whose middle name is also Hussein? Co-incidence? I think not.

I think what happened is that TSA goofed up, and that the FBI is required to follow up when they hold someone as a potential risk. The FBI agent likely saw that the TSA people were being idiots (as usual) and did the quick checklist which includes asking if he was stupid enough to admit he was a member of any suspect organizations and then sent him on his way when he said no.

I’d try to sue the living daylights out of them for wrongful imprisonment, but then again I don’t know the particulars of what they were referring to as “acting suspicious.”

As an aside, I’ve had to do a few DOD interviews as a character reference and they still ask everyone that question regardless of circumstances. My personal favorite was “Does person X have any strange friends?” To which I answered “Besides me?”

How come movies and TV shows always, always get what the FBI badge looks like wrong?

I would think they do that intentionally.

What? you mean they don’t look like this?

(yes, it’s signed: Han Solo)

Which one is REAL?!? omg

That would imply that they move quickly.

Holy fuck. How many sagehens are there on Qt3?

Chirp chirp!

That makes at least 4 (there’s another who mainly lurks). There are probably another 43 hiding somewhere…

I’ve already decided if the TSA ever stops me I am going to act confused with the goons, and when the FBI shows up, I am going confess to the FBI that I was specifically instructed to use this gate at this time, because those two(pointing to the goons) were supposed to let me through and take me here. I was supposed to hand them each a big vial that they were supposed to put up their butts that would dissolve and make everyone sick. I did that. They were supposed to bring me in here and give me the money and let me go, but I guess you showed up early. They already have the vials, please get me out of here. I don’t even want my money, just get me out of here. We have about five minutes. Oh, this big black rubber thing is a…it’s like an antidote, or an… anticatalyst? Is that a word? I think that’s what the guy said. Anyways, the big black rubber thing is that.

I was always suspicious about your name.

What the fuck is wrong with the FBI in California?

A California student got a visit from the FBI this week after he found a secret GPS tracking device on his car, and a friend posted photos of it online. The post prompted wide speculation about whether the device was real, whether the young Arab-American was being targeted in a terrorism investigation and what the authorities would do.

It took just 48 hours to find out: The device was real, the student was being secretly tracked and the FBI wanted their expensive device back, the student told Wired.com in an interview Wednesday.

The answer came when half-a-dozen FBI agents and police officers appeared at Yasir Afifi’s apartment complex in Santa Clara, California, on Tuesday demanding he return the device.

Afifi, a 20-year-old U.S.-born citizen, cooperated willingly and said he’d done nothing to merit attention from authorities. Comments the agents made during their visit suggested he’d been under FBI surveillance for three to six months.

An FBI spokesman wouldn’t acknowledge that the device belonged to the agency or that agents appeared at Afifi’s house.

Afifi considered selling the device on Craigslist before the FBI showed up. He was in his apartment Tuesday afternoon when a roommate told him “two sneaky-looking people” were near his car. Afifi, already heading out for an appointment, encountered a man and woman looking at his vehicle outside. The man asked if Afifi knew his registration tag was expired. When Afifi asked if it bothered him, the man just smiled. Afifi got into his car and headed for the parking lot exit when two SUVs pulled up with flashing lights carrying four police officers in bullet-proof vests.

The agent who initially spoke with Afifi identified himself then as Vincent and told Afifi, “We’re here to recover the device you found on your vehicle. It’s federal property. It’s an expensive piece, and we need it right now.”

Afifi asked, “Are you the guys that put it there?” and the agent replied, “Yeah, I put it there.” He told Afifi, “We’re going to make this much more difficult for you if you don’t cooperate.”

I don’t think what’s wrong with the FBI is specific to California.

Er… was 9/11 perpetrated by communists?

Afifi retrieved the device from his apartment and handed it over, at which point the agents asked a series of questions – did he know anyone who traveled to Yemen or was affiliated with overseas training? One of the agents produced a printout of a blog post that Afifi’s friend Khaled allegedly wrote a couple of months ago. It had “something to do with a mall or a bomb,” Afifi said.

When he later asked Khaled about the post, his friend recalled “writing something stupid,” but said he wasn’t involved in any wrongdoing. Khaled declined to discuss the issue with Wired.com.

I am anything but an FBI apologist, but… come on now.

It seems it’s this post:
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/ciiag/so_if_my_deodorant_could_be_a_bomb_why_are_you/c0sve5q

bombing a mall seems so easy to do. i mean all you really need is a bomb, a regular outfit so you arent the crazy guy in a trench coat trying to blow up a mall and a shopping bag. i mean if terrorism were actually a legitimate threat, think about how many fucking malls would have blown up already… you can put a bag in a million different places, there would be no way to foresee the next target, and really no way to prevent it unless CTU gets some intel at the last minute in which case every city but LA is fucked…so…yea…now i’m surely bugged : /

Which should be seen in the context of this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/ciiag/so_if_my_deodorant_could_be_a_bomb_why_are_you/

Posting While Arab, the new Driving While Black.

So basically, argument that worrying about terrorism is pointless… is terrorism. Nice!

Unbelievable. That post is stating the obvious, I agree with it 100% If the FBI are putting teams of agents on the friends of the guy who posted this, they have way too much time on their hands. WTF.