Study Finds Canadian Government Broadcaster Anti-American

CBC Television News Guilty of Anti-American Bias Says New Study:
http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared/readmore.asp?sNav=nr&id=666

Billion dollars a year for bigotry.

Here’s an example of what that report considers to be an “anti-American statement”. Quoting Jean Chretien:

“You know, you cannot exercise your powers to the point that, of humiliation for the others. And that is what the western world, not only the Americans, the western world has to realize, that the western world is getting too rich in relation to the poor world and necessarily, you know, we’re looked upon as being arrogant, self-satisfied, greedy, and with no limits. And the eleventh of September is an occasion for me to realize it even more. (The National, 2002: September ??)”

Here’s another, discussing the prisoner of war/unlawful combatant distinction in Afghanistan:

“It’s become a matter of critical clarification ever since word that Canadian soldiers have already handed over fighters captured in Afghanistan to US forces. The Americans call them all unlawful combatants, not soldiers and specifically not prisoners of war, which would guarantee them all certain legal rights. The question is who decides? Looking for answers, Canada has been in high-level talks with the US . . . The Canadian view so far is that the Americans are absolutely clear in their opinion that the detainees are not prisoners of war. What’s not clear is how the Americans came to that conclusion. (The National, 2002: February 5)”

Seems to me that the researchers have set the bar for what is considered to be an “anti-American” statement considerably lower than I would. </shrug>

Further, 2002 was a year in which the US and Canada had a lot of trade disputes, over such issues as hemp, wheat, softwood lumber, farm subsidies and various NAFTA issues. I’m not surprised that Canadian news coverage of US-Canada relations wasn’t a rosy one.

Looking at their donor list, I wonder if the Fraser Institute might have some sort of an agenda.

Fraser Institute, really?

Huh. I’m shocked, Stefan. As, I’m sure, are most Canadians. cough

But mostly I’m disappointed that you’d peddle that shit here. I mean, what scrap of independence do you want Canada to retain? You’re spreading a “report” released by a thinktank that is funded entirely by hardcore American right-wingers.

Um, well over 99% of its funding is from concerned Canadians.

What kinds of concerned Canadians?

Conrad Black types?

So too the Canadian Chapter of NAMBLA. So what?

What does that mean, smarter-than-you types? Maybe.

So too the Canadian Chapter of NAMBLA. So what?[/quote]

…and organizations as evil as the Liberal Party, after all. Um, because Jacob said that it was funded by Americans, which is untrue.

Hard right think tank with heavy libertarian leanings says government controlled media bad.

Next up, we hear from a series of mice complaining about the prevelance of cheese laden traps.

What does that mean, smarter-than-you types? Maybe.[/quote]
No, the rich corrupt type.

Incidentally, Black’s not Canadian. He renounced his citizenship so he could become a Lord. Nice huh?

The donor list says just about all that needs to be said. C’mon. If I put up a study by a group funded by MoveOn which was based on such extremely subjective criteria…would you take it seriously?

So too the Canadian Chapter of NAMBLA. So what?[/quote]

…and organizations as evil as the Liberal Party, after all. Um, because Jacob said that it was funded by Americans, which is untrue.[/quote]

I gotta take issue with “well over 99%.”

What’s “well over” 99%? 0.8%? 0.9%?

Where did you get that figure anyway? Their web site?

The Fraser Institute is on the record for accepting money from Exxon, US pharmaceutical corps, the Donner Foundation (which financed CanStats, which almost certainly produced this article), and the Max Bell Foundation.

More than half of their money comes from foundations. About a third from organizations. I guess, after that, the remaining 99% is from individuals.

$100 million has gone into the Fraser Institute over the years. Concerned Canadians? Are you trying to sell them as some kind of grassroots organization? Puh-leeze.

Concerned Canadians? Some of these people may very well be. Concerned about their millions. About their business interests. Their American colleagues. Their Status. Power. Portfolio. Image.

Fraser has an agenda. I’d take what they say with about as much face value as the local Black Block faction.

Incidentally, Black’s not Canadian. He renounced his citizenship so he could become a Lord. Nice huh?[/quote]

Only because our dictator at the time, Jean Crouton, wouldn’t allow him to accept the title (which is routinely bestowed on Canadians) unless he did so. Nice, huh?

So is your answer that the CBC isn’t actually biased, as the reported indicates, or that “it’s the good kind of bigotry”?

Observations of American self-aggrandizement are bigotry? What if they were questioning the French instead – is that just good policy?

Dude, the CBC blamed “American arrogance” on the last space shuttle disaster - that’s the mindless bigotry the CBC exhibits.

The first thing I thought while reading this post was to look up the Fraser Institute’s donor list on Media Transparency, which Andrew Myers beat me to.

At least our news reflects the sentiments of the people. What does US news reflect? Dictated agenda?