Stupid Concerns Thread: I can't "Finish" Yawning

Yeah, Zak, I don’t really know where that thing came from, but it’s nowhere helpful to me. The outdoors and I do NOT get along in any way whatsoever. And wouldn’t getting up for a sunrise only hurt my sleep patterns, anyway? ;)

Call me.

Sleeping in is one of life’s great pleasures.

I don’t know, are you a borg/bot? maybe you really didn’t like my closing line? Actually i’ve done all those things i listed, and can recommend them as ways to unwind, which is often the issue around sleep problems.

Just for fun i’ll add one more to the list, that probably can down near the bottom(and i’ve done, so can vouch for):

Spend a New Years eve on top of one of the great pyramids in egypt to see in the new year (friends and alcohol and warm clothes are a good idea, you will need to bribe a policeman most likely, but that is quite common for many things in egypt).

And keep us updated on your yawning thing Armando, let us know if you get rid of it and what worked for you.

Not much to say other than it’s still ongoing. A spate of expensive car trouble for both me AND the missus took me out of work and budget a lot this past two weeks, so I can’t really afford to take sick time to go to a doc right now. Which sucks, because my jaws ache from yawning all the time and i still can’t really finish them.

Are you serious? A bot? Yeah I’m a bot. I’m a drunk bot. I just ate 8 codeine pills To stop my bot back from screaming at me all night. I used to be the bouncer at Kenny’s Castaways when Kelly from up the block got so shitfaced we had to pull him off of the hood of a police car. I was there when there was a full on fight with Jersey scumbags. I was one of the people slapping flying beer bottles from out of the air like some Kung Fu idiot… I was at Kenny’s when we had the front window shattered by a drunk girl. And my botness held her hand while we waited for the ambulance. Meanwhile we had another kid go through the window while there were huge shards of glass waiting to just drop like great knives on anyone that even whispered.

I’m the bot that had to keep a steel rod in his boot during Halloween. Because people said they were going to beat up any gay person they saw. I’m the bot that had his head punched open during a brawl when he had two idiots, one under each arm and couldn’t couldn’t let them go just yet. I’m the bot that saved a couple of people on the street from three card monty assholes and then got beaten to a pulp because of it.

I’m the bot that watched a drunk hit a bartender in the head with a beer mug. And then beat the asshole near to death along with my boss. Because nobody hurts my bartender.

I’m a fucking bot, bitch. Climb a pyramid? Good for you.

He’s an angry bot, grrr.

Obviously i’m not a medical person, and am likely to suggest hugging a tree (as it cures all ills), but with that caveat you could have some kind of anxiety/stress based reaction going on. So look for things you can do to reduce that in your life imho.

Yawning all the time is a different thing from what you are describing (not being able to finish your yawns), so if you do try to search around the internet for answers, don’t get too freaked out by the stuff that relates to constant yawning.

Could your recent issue be related to your going over budget, could it be related to a general rise in stress in your life recently over those kind of concerns etc? And good luck, it sounds very annoying and i hope you resolve it soon.

From a medical page from the internet (easy to search for this stuff) about yawning issues in general, if not exactly to do with not being able to finish a yawn:

Excessive yawning, caused by sleepiness, can be counteracted by drinking lots of water. Dehydration is a big cause of fatigue. When a person drinks a lot of water, the yawning will cease. Every time the urge to yawn is strong, drink a big gulp of water and the yawn will pass.

If a person has been indoors all day, such as working in an office, she may start yawning excessively. This is caused by a lack of oxygen. It can be suppressed by going outside for a brief, but quick, walk. This will increase the oxygen flow to the brain and heart. When she returns indoors, the urge to yawn should have passed.

@RichVR, no i wasn’t being serious, but thanks for the chuckle post :)

We are not machines, we are mammals.

TOURISM IS THE ANSWER TO ALL LIFE’S ILLS

That’s a good point. Dogs yawn when they’re stressed or confused. Have you tried chewing a bone and having a nice lie down? And see if you can find somebody to scratch behind your ears. Always seems to work.

Heh. Boys and girls, narcotics and alcohol are a bad combination. Trust me.

Have you ever been accused of being a pot?

I was being purposefully obtuse.
The pot I was referring to was not drugs, but rather with regard to a kettle.

In any case, in the event that I misunderstood your original point, I hereby apologize. I’m sure you had a good point, and I just missed it.

Is this like yawning blue balls?

Hi Armando,

This is a real thing, I have researched it for several years, as I’ve had it off and on for several years. Exactly the symptoms you describe, and we are not the only ones. If you Google it you’ll see many many people having the same issue. I’ve had my oxygen levels checked, and they’re always fine. My doctor suggested it’s anxiety. I told her I’m about the most laid-back person ever, but if I’m honest with myself I do have stress in my life. Four kids under the age of 11, One of them severely autistic, and several deaths in the family just this summer. For me, it’s been the worst it’s ever been… I’m planning on seeing another doctor, however, truthfully it is always a relief to see other people suffering from it and that it really is a real thing people experience, just hard to explain to other people. I feel your frustrations! My doctor ended up prescribing anxiety meds, which made me not be able to sleep at all and didn’t really help. Taking deep breath’s at night and keeping my mind occupied on other things has helped however. I hope this helps you somewhat that you’re not the only one out there!

Are you taking any type of medication that will help you stay awake or ADHD medication? I have very similar symptoms but only when I take modafinil which is a study medicine my doctor prescribed me.

It’s a thing. I believe I’m experiencing it right now. It’s an anxious behavior, in my case, triggered by too much caffeine. It feels sort of like my breathing has come “out of sync” with my body.

It may be that the caffiene causes the heart to pump less blood, or require more, when overused.

Hope this helps.

Armando I’ve had this ‘issue’ for years. I’ve always called them trapped yawns because you can’t quite get them out. I’m extremely fit and healthy but my lung capacity has never been great. I get it randomly but have also noticed I get it when I’m nervous. About to do public speaking is a classic example or about to run a race. I think (only from my own experience) it’s related to asthma and the lung muscles tightening, preventing you from getting a full and satisfying yawn. For me it’s not really a problem as such, I need to relax and focus and I can normally squeeze the yawn out in the end. I really do think it’s a mental thing and the more you think of it as a condition the more likely it will manifest itself as such. Obviously thats not helpful because how do you mentally deal with it. I don’t have the answer to that question but breathing exercises, lung capacity increases, yoga and generally getting fit is probably a good place to start. Good luck!

Hi Armando…did you ever figure out what it was causing this?

(Apparently this thread is high enough in the Google rankings for “can’t finish yawn” to attract a lot of drive-bys).

tl;dr version: probably anxiety, but possibly a deadly lung disease. See your doctor.