Stupid shit you see on Facebook

I thought that using the iPhone and the Xboxes meant that fingers were the only muscles kids actually do work out anymore? Or maybe that’s just thumbs?

aww, the video doesn’t imbed, but my sore button mashing fingers are too lazy

Weak fingers? Like too weak to climb cliffs or bash rocks together to start fires. heh.

Seeing my mother who votes for every Republican ever (but not Trump, she says) and her friend who does the same get angry about a story on the USDA letting people ship chicken to China to be processed and then back again… I mean I can’t even. You voted for it and keep voting for it.

Out of curiosity, what specifically about that is making them angry? Because there are several reasons I could fathom.

The obvious part where China’s standards on things tend to be along the lines of “use toxic industrial waste for kid’s toys,” as far as I can tell.

That’s a reasonable concern, that Chinese processors have more lax health and safety standards.

The solution is obvious, quit voting R then. But we both know their hypocrisy doesn’t register to them. Because regulations are bad, but so is toxic paint and they shouldn’t be allowed to sell that somehow. But don’t regulate it!

I mean, these are almost the words they use. As long as you don’t put them together somehow it makes sense.

I just respond with “welcome to deregulation” or the like.

I just witnessed a wind turbine worker who is a Trump supporter.

Fuck wind, bring back coal. Says the wind turbine dude in Iowa where they have no real coal and tons of wind turbines.

How can people be so dumb?

Have you been to Iowa?

Sadly it feels like a product of our modern hyper-partisan politics that either more regulation must be advocated as the solution to all ills, or that all regulation is bad and must be abolished. The idea that regulation can both:

1. Protect consumers, enforce a level playing field in the market and in global trade, protect the environment and protect workers.
  2. Increase costs to no or minimal benefit, retard innovation, act as a barrier to entry protecting vested interests, protect lazy and incompetent workers and act as a protectionist non-tariff barrier.

Doesn’t appear to have a place in political discourse today.

Shouldn’t we at least be experiencing (2) before we list it as a concern at the same level as (1)? If not, it’s a bit like telling starving people that overeating can be a problem, too.

Of course both are possible, but we’re completely ignoring 1 as even a factor.

If we poison the water supply of 10,000 people, that’s fine because someone is going to make a couple million extra dollars. It’s stupid and dishonest and everyone knows it, but the donor class gets what they pay for.

Where it gets weird though, is once you get into the developing world.

In many places, even employment conditions that we would consider appalling are a marked improvement over the previous conditions of crap like subsistence farming and famine.

We need to be willing to acknowledge the dramatic difference in quality of life between the modern US and other places, and that gradient creates a situation where other places in the world are going to be willing to do crap jobs cheaper than folks in America are going to be willing to do that work… And that’s ok, because it’s going to make their lives better in the long run.

Whether or not we need to do that, as a practical matter there are few if any regulations in the US that impact labor conditions overseas, and as a practical matter the problem isn’t that so-called conservatives want to kill those regulations, it’s that they want to kill the regulations in force like the Clean Air Act right here in the quality-of-life USA.

First comment is priceless. The guy sharing it is an old white dude from Florida. I respond to some of his shares like this one, but I try to pick my battles and I don’t think this is one I need to bother with.

Posted today by one of my childhood friends. He was mostly an idiot back in the day and I guess not much has changed.

It’s completely inappropriate, but also shows your friend probably doesn’t understand what happened to Pocahontas which is… actually quite tragic.