Stupid shit you see on Facebook

Not more than I wanted. I was genuinely curious. ~50k wouldn’t be too bad here actually and SLC, UT apparently has a lower Cost of Living. I just like to know where and how others define comfortable.

Perhaps my views are informed by my upbringing. In fact, they more or less have to be, because I don’t really have precise figures in mind when I toss around various middle class classifications.

When we moved out to East Tennessee, my parents’ combined pre-tax income wound up just barely cracking into six figures, and I was an only child. They both had reasonably new cars (~4-5 years old on average), we had our own home–fairly secluded, but spacious–and generally ate and went where we wanted to. Took vacations. Had good healthcare. We didn’t really ever want for anything, and they’ve set aside a very respectable retirement for themselves.

I’d peg them at upper middle class (UMC), personally, based on that level of comfort and security. Maybe even “wealthy,” especially for their area. I guess that if they’d wanted to live in Picture Perfect Suburbia, only drive current-model-year cars, or, I dunno, build a swimming pool or something extravagant, they could have been in debt up to their eyeballs like the TV stereotype of UMC-types, but really–I never once felt like the family was short of anything it needed or even really wanted.

My partner and I have been on our own for about 8 years now, making a hair over 1/3 of what my parents do–in a marginally more expensive area, to boot. While things got dicey while she was sick and needed a lot of expensive treatments/medication, and while our place isn’t anywhere near as large as my folks’, or our cars anywhere near as new, nor are we really able to vacation in the traditional sense. . . but things don’t really seem that bad, in the grand scheme. We’ve got a roof over our heads, internet, a computer apiece, and cellphones, and go out to eat sometimes and catch a movie every so often. Mind, a lot of our nicer stuff (kitchen gear, clothes, games, etc.) is gifted by my folks at Xmas/bdays, but we’d make it without any of that.

So, my personal sliding scale is probably defined as: Parents seemed like they were living the American dream. Definitely UMC. We’re having a good life, but are one paycheck away from a lot of trouble: probably LMC? And somewhere between the two must swim true MC.

Thanks Armando. I don’t mean to pry. This topic of comfort and “making it” has come up a lot during this election. Owning a home, a relatively new car, stable and living wage or some commonalities but the rest seems largely dependent on like you said, what you grew up with. I know someone who thinks a small house is 2400 square feet, as in looking at anything smaller than that is for the lower class. The same person though received 40k for a down payment.

I appreciate both my parents a lot, but when I bought my first house I received help moving from my apartment and nothing else. I also don’t see 2400 sq ft as a bare minimum for two people either although every time I look at my almost 1/4 acre lot and yank another weed out I am rethinking my view on having property as a good thing.

Heh, our apartment in Knoxville was 650, and honestly, it was great. We got an absolute steal on the place here in Raleigh; it’s almost 400 sq ft more, and we just have an entire room sitting there that we don’t know what to do with. But there’s 1BR places nearby that cost more per month, so. . . yeah.

But then again, I spent four years in Boston accommodations, so 1000 sq ft still kinda feels like “luxurious rich people” territory to my Boston real-state-adjusted brain ;)

Threadjack:

Orlando thanks NC.

Yeah, a guy I somewhat respected as intelligent at work cornered me with some of that nonsense a couple months back. Had to smile and nod and play along for a few minutes until I could get away. Ugh. People will believe anything they want to believe.

I think I need to lie down for a while.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13934577_376732486000097_8688904716993993483_n.jpg?oh=f9abc49ac43d946125a17f30e519d623&oe=586B9F95

Thanks. Now my sphincter is permanently clenched.

The best thing about that is how they picked a judge from TV because trump supporters have no idea who actual justices are.

They could have just as easily put in judge Judy.

Top rated comment: “Want to throw a wrench into their voter fraud plans? Everybody voting Trump wear red to the polls. Will be a bit hard to hide the numbers from us then.”

I don’t think Canada will be far enough away from these people, you guys should move to Australia and i’ll buy you a beer.

But will it be a Nitro Milk Stout?

Yes, if you happen to have brought one with you.

Wollongong Immigration: We’ll be taking that.
Me: Noooooooooooo! … gets back on plane

Later in the same thread -

The fuck is wrong with people

Was there a single true fact in that whole exchange?

The last reply was posted at 9:45am

This is what happens when intelligence is no longer a driver of survival fitness.

Almost sorta makes you wish they were right, doesn’t it? Humanity is in need of a good cleansing by nuclear fire to get rid of most of the stupid people :(

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14517517_1216807918340007_7667237429711644379_n.jpg?oh=3d0cdfcd3f791afe109b702907a117dc&oe=58A42410

Wut?

Best of all when it’s liked by someone who Trump would call fat and ugly if he met them.