Stupid shit you see on Facebook

Try this, it is for people that can’t be bothered reading scientific journals - like those on FB…

In my experience they can’t be bothered to click links either.

You’d have to distill that down to a meme, which they would then claim is fake.

Did you hear? They don’t even use pure oxygen in airplanes!

I can only assume that she’s our new secretary of transportation.

Oxygen is a carcinogen. You should stop breathing.

“Food and aviation expert”

I have also eaten food while on an airplane, so maybe I will add this to my CV also.

If you were in coach, I’m not sure that was “food,” technically.

Cabin pressure is supplied by bleed air drawn out of the interstage turbines of the engine. It’s not a vent behind the exhaust. As you’ve already figured out, that’s incredibly ignorant on several different levels. In fact, it’s also ignorant on the subject of air pressure as well, because if you opened a vent ANYWHERE on the plane the air in the plane would rush out, there would be no toxic exhaust fumes rushing in.

I don’t understand how people go about their lives and don’t understand at least the basics of how the objects/machines/technology around them work. It must be like walking around in a Harry Potter book or something, all these magical goings on that you just stare at and drool because you have no way to explain them.

In fairness, it really seems like the majority of the characters in those books, and possibly the author herself, viewed magic through exactly that lens, which may well have been the most prescient, true-to-life detail in them!

Yeah, but it’s fine for children to marvel at magic in a book designed to make them do that. It’s not ok for the average adult to not understand basic principles that affect the world around them every day, such as air pressure. I mean for fuck’s sake you spend 12 years in school having this stuff forced into your head. And we live in a world where you almost have to actively resist learning something new every five minutes. It almost seems like more work to remain dumb at this point.

Well, the notion that the GOP has abandoned its principles is valid, but I would agree that it’s more complex than simply becoming “more liberal”.

The folks who are suggesting that kind of thing are talking about how the GOP doesn’t care about spending tons of money and having big government get into our lives. These are traditionally unconservative values. They generally would fall in line with the liberal left, albeit their use of government force is for totally different ends. (I would suggest that this is a reason why big government should be avoided when possible… because eventually, the cudgel of big government gets wielded by someone who disagrees with you)

But it’s also this difference which kind of precludes really defining them as “liberals” now, because those policies kind of DO matter.

I’m pretty charitable about this one. I’ve come to understand that most people just don’t have the time or interest to learn about anything that does not directly impact their lives, so learning how a modern commercial airliner gets its cabin air is beyond them.

The more troubling bit to me is the “It’s not even pure oxygen! They mix it with up to 50% nitrogen!” part of her rant. That’s basic Junior High level science.

I don’t expect them to know how a jet engine works. More like, they should understand basic principles like being inside of a pressurized cabin would make the air go OUT if you opened the window. Or that it takes more effort/weight/etc to pump in extra nitrogen instead of just using what’s freely available outside the plane.

There are a lot of things I don’t fully understand about our world, our technology or even our history. I generally don’t freak out about them though. I think it’s a huge stretch to think everyone should know how airplanes function. If my physician understands how the body functions but not air vents on a plane, I’m okay with that. She can focus on understanding the body very well.

This is not to be mistaken for… just making shit up though.

“Fake Judge”
http://www.angrypatriotmovement.com/judge-who-struck-down-travel-ban/

I wish I stopped reading after I read “Obama’s shadow government”.

It’s like they instinctively know Trumps going to fuck everything up and they need a pre-emptive excuse as to why.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17362659_668751013327842_5796252541981394681_n.jpg?oh=de52ea342dc227e25bd032f91b6cc0fe&oe=5969176B

Well, if ‘trying and so far failing to demolish Obama’s signature legislative achievement’ counts as OHH WHY FUCKING BOTHER