Stupid shit you see on Facebook

I assume he meant "Bernie-or-Buser"er… so a militant pro-Bernie guy.

But yeah, that’s not clear from the context.

yep, and one who is utterly clueless about Bernie’s policy positions and has become an alt-right loon but still likes Bernie.

In other words, about as low-information as you can get.

Corporate stupidity isn’t covered much in this thread, but they can really mess up on Facebook.

This FB link used to be this before it was deleted:

You can just imagine the responses that Nivea ad got.

Oh shit. You have to wonder how this stuff gets through.

The link is to NIVEA Middle East. From what I understand, skin lightening products are still common in that region and India. These sorts of advertisements are not uncommon over there.

India:

Middle East:

Africa:

And yet the message is in English coming from a company based in Germany. What could possibly go wrong?

Hahaha seriously. I’m glad this is bringing some exposure and hopefully they stop marketing that shit altogether.

Is this a big deal though?

I mean, I get that the optics from us here - in a racially-divided, majority-white country - are pretty bad. But in a country where the majority of the country is black or brown or whatever, how is this materially different from using a spray-tan, or eyeliner, or blush, or fake eyelashes?

I mean, aside for the “it causes cancer” part, which is pretty bad no matter what.

I am seriously unqualified to answer that question. :)

Maybe. Probably. I doubt the answer is no but your mileage and level of involvement might vary.

Other people have given it thought:

Fairness products seem like such an obvious business model. Having whiter skin is aspirational for many. Or as the corporates would say, fairness of skin is a consumer want, and since markets are free, they will oblige and satisfy this burning demand with gracious supply.

What is the problem with skin lightening products, other than the offensive names and resulting addiction? The psychological and medical implications are much too evident to ignore. Young boys and girls with darker complexions grow up with lower self-confidence, which often impacts their personal and professional success. Several fairness products have reportedly been banned in countries including Ivory Coast and South Africa for having a high incidence of side effects – including the risk of skin cancer. I’ve heard horrifying stories of girls deliberately applying or injecting themselves with unregulated chemicals in a bid to appear a few shades lighter.

While I support freedom of trade, freedom of markets and freedom of every kind that I dare or dare not imagine, I am bothered by one question. Should the freedom to make money also extend to the freedom to exploit such societal prejudices and aggravate inequalities? Or should freedom come with some responsibility?

In 2014, India’s skin whitening industry shocked all when it launched a product called “Clean & Dry” that was intended to whiten a woman’s intimate parts. The advertisement, which naturally caused a furore, suggested that a woman would have a more fulfilling personal life if she chose to lighten more than just her face. The incident seemed to awaken the authorities. Later that year the Advertising Standards Council of India issued a memo ordering that any advertisement that “reinforces negative stereotypes based on colour” would effectively be banned.

The advertisement did go off air.

It matters for the brand. If the advertisement had not been in say … English or a language from the regions you are talking about, probably less likely to be a problem too. But here we have a European centric brand using European based language doesn’t give them much room to claim hey guys and gals, it’s for another region so don’t be offended.

If it was another language and maybe the brand wasn’t so widespread in countries that object to this sort of thing, it likely wouldn’t have gone viral. Unless I missed it, they’re not even trying to defend this.

If you read about the history of colonialism, and the role race played in justifying and perpetuating colonialism, and the role race played and still plays in post-colonial societies, I think you would see how much it does matter in these other, largely post-colonial, societies. You don’t have to read Frantz Fanon (though you should) to get a good handle on the integral relationship between whiteness, power, and colonialism.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17796095_687034228154962_2267530590206278403_n.jpg?oh=afbaca759302c1c5bd91844955a65cbe&oe=594DAB7E

Well, you have to admit, banning GMO seeds is a LOT worse than the equivalent of genocide, dontchathink?

The Clintons still at their nefarious work I guess?

Don’t read the comments. My god, I weep for the future.

I heard a prediction that within 90 years, 100% of the people involved in a working relationship with or investigation of the Clintons will be dead. Every. Single. Person.

What’s crazy is the reach and power that Killary has. Some of them will die in car accidents, some cancer. Still others will complete “suicide”.

America really needs to wake up.

Clinton murders everyone, and yet Anthony Weiner continues to live after fucking over her campaign TWICE.

I can only imagine they’ve tried to kill him, and he pulled some crazy Jason Bourne shit.

Might be something interesting to have on my tombstone at least. i could be part of the whole conspiracy since living past 120 seems highly unlikely for me or you know… most folks.

Don’t be “explains the joke” guy.

I assure you am not an explains the joke… guy.