Stupid shit you see on Facebook

This is central to fascism, which is at its heart an attack on liberal democracy as understood in classical political terms. Well, classical going back to the era of Locke at least. Mussolini and the other founders of modern fascism were adamant in believing that the disasters of the First World War were a result of parliamentary democracies and the weak, corrupt societies they engendered.

Ergo, liberalism is bad, and only the pure action of virile, masculine nationalists not afraid to knock heads could save the society.

Sounds familiar, eh?

So what you’re saying is all of this happened before, and all of it will happen again.

The Book of Faces turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Actual small government conservatives can indeed distance themselves from a fascist ideology like Nazism, because fascism implies an extremely strong, authoritarian government. In many ways, fascism aligns with aspects of the left which seek to increase government control over our lives, but those desires for increased government control on the left tend to only be aimed at the economic side, whereas fascism is much more about increased government control across the board.

In the past, the opposite was true regarding the right wing in the US. They wanted that kind of authoritarian control for SOCIAL things, allowing the government to inject its controls into things like who you can have sex with, or what drugs you can use, but generally argued that the government should stay out of your economic business.

In the past, both sides could be called “fascists” but it was largely just hyperbole, because neither side took it as far as actual fascists, and both sides had at least some portion of their ideology which directly opposed some major component of fascism.

Now though, the modern GOP has really eroded its separation from such things.

Trump’s bullshit populist stuff fully embraces authoritarianism on the social side of things, straight up scapegoating minorities for all of the world’s problems, trying to make archaic laws allowing for religious oppression, grinding away constitutional rights, etc. And then on the economic side of things, they’re ALSO embracing authoritarian bullshit, which used to be the domain of the far left… things like economic protectionism, lying to workers telling them that the government is going to do stuff that brings their jobs back (back from the past, through some sort of magical time travel mechanism).

In the past, neither side could fairly be called fascists, in the US.

Now, the right wing is increasingly falling into that mold quite easily…not even counting the fact that they are partially made up of literal fucking nazis and fascists at this point.

You knew this was coming, right? One of the “heros” of Charlottesville was in his past a State Department employee and has “disturbing” ties to Soros!

Damn, so Nazi’s aren’t bad! Glad they caught that.

I… uh…

The wife of a very white Dallas Cowboy posted this drivel:

http://www.westernjournalism.com/black-clergy-activists-defend-trump-castigate-alt-left/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=PostTopSharingButtons&utm_content=2017-08-16&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons

Saw this floating around. Kind of wish this was true

From my conservative FB friend.

history

Perhaps I should explain that you can still read about Robert E. Lee in books. In fact I have a 500 page biography of General Lee on my bookshelf at home. I could loan it to him!

I like how all the tweets calling for the statue to be taken down are accusing him of rape by women who likely voted for Trump.

Not sure if whataboutism.

Credit where it’s due: Trump accurately predicted crazy people would soon be wanting to tear down statues of US presidents.

An account named “Perfectly Offensive”, offended by silent protest.

Not Facebook, but awesome.

Not only does this person not realize that Obama was not president during Katerina, but they think Rice is Michelle Obama, because they are both black women.

Back in the old days, we made our memes from cardboard, magic markers, and magazine photos.

analogue meme heh

Can someone explain twitter to me. Why aren’t the comments in order of when they were received?

They have an algorithm that decides what is best for you to see first.