Stupid shit you see on Facebook

I don’t know if you guys remember what full-service gas is/was, but this is not full service. They pump the gas and that’s it.

They don’t wash your windshield, unless they’re bored or nice, or check your fluids… it’s not full-service.

Many of you are asking why we in Oregon don’t want to pump our gas. I have a question for you: do you really like pumping your own gas? What kind of enjoyment do you get out of it? Do you get a sense of accomplishment? Do you enjoy the smell of gasoline in the morning? Is it a chance to stretch your legs?

Speak up! Inquiring minds want to know.

That’s true, Full Service when I was a kid did sometimes include washing the windshield and checking the fluids (upon request). I’m not sure what else to call it though in today’s era of do everything yourself.

I mean, I get pissed off now when the receipt printer is out of paper. Like “You have one job gas station dude! Ring up beer and beef jerky sales and keep the receipt paper stocked! Don’t make me come in there for my receipt!!”

You will never know the joy of playing the “Squeeze it just right so it ends on $XX.00” game. Bonus points if you have a deft enough touch to get that extra final tick on the fuel meter without going over to $XX.01". It’s the little things in life…

But starting in 2018 you will need a permit to buy ammo. I don’t own a gun and even I think that is stupid. The state will also require stores to put ammo under lock and key in stores, just like cigarettes and sinus meds.

We did away with 1c and 2c pieces years ago in Oz, so everything is rounded to nearest 5c. The game here is to get it to $XX.02 for your 2c of free fuel baby!

It’s uhh, against the law to umm top off in Oregon, pollution reasons.

That is common in California.

That is strange considering how many wineries and breweries there are in Oregon now. I imagine that craft distilleries are showing up there too now. Maybe not. They are here.

It’s only hard liquor. You can wine, sake, beer per usual.

I have pumped my own gas since I was 16. I have been able to fight off the evils involved with gas since then without blowing up my car or ruining my clothes. Even my daughters do it. But then we raise them tough here in California…and the other 48 states.

It just seems weird that they hold hard liquor to such a different standard. I remember hearing my parents talk about living in Idaho and the state liquor laws there. Weird.

Are there craft distilleries in Oregon now? They have followed the wineries and breweries here. There are places around here that make tequila and vodka. Supposed to be good stuff.

I am not much of a drinker, so my information is limited. We have a lot of wineries where I live, and a couple/few distilleries. I think most the distilleries tend to be North, and since everything is North of us, I mean Portland /Hillsboro areas.

I am not a fan of the state liquor store stuff. It could be worse though. There are still dry counties in this country.

If they won’t even do that crap, then seriously, what is the point?

You’re not listening. They pump the gas. Minimum wage jobs, stay in your car, don’t smell like gas, no top-off. The system works. I have zero expectation that if we ended it tomorrow gas would go down more than a few cents and not be at the same price a couple of weeks later.

Do you tip them? I have wondered about that when in Oregon.

No. I will during the Christmas season but many of the non-traditional gas stations, Costco, Fred Meyer and Safeway’s of the world frequently have no tipping policies.

The smell like gas thing is possibly the weirdest part of all this to me. I’ve spilled gas on my clothes exactly zero times in 13 years, and only gotten a noticeable amount on a hand a few times. Like… Of all the things to be worried about, that seems pretty minor.

Not really clothes, like on the car and the ground. Since they banned topping-off I don’t smell gas at the gas stations as I used to.

I live in a valley, stagnant air is a thing. Pollution will just sit there, like fog in a bowl, and the large population areas tend to be valleys along the interstate.

Today I learned about topping off. People are weird. The pump stops because your tank is full. Why… Why try to put more into it?

Every single time they did until the law passed. I never asked them to. Initially I think it was to get that even number. When everyone went to credit cards it was either habit or so you can get a little more… not sure. I am not kidding when I say it was a constant smell of gas and now it’s a lot less.