Stupid shit you see on Facebook

Random aside; I’ve been strongly advised by my mechanic to stop this practice, as it apparently causes issues with modern fuel filters.

So how does it work if you give them a debit card? Do they hand you a keypad while you sit in the car so you can key in the security code?

It all seems odd to me. It’s a law that you have to use an attendant to pump your gas? Because if not, I would think the self-serve stations would offer lower gas prices.

What does Oregon do about supermarkets? Do they allow the self-serve checkout or is it a law that there have to checkers? Are there Aldis there that have baggers? The Aldis here are self-bagging.

Heck, the realty company that owns the office building I work in put in an automated snack shop. No attendant. Use your key fob to enter and use a CC to pay for your soda or chips or candy bar – whatever you want to buy you scan and then walk out. It even thanks you with a feminine English accent. “Thank you for using Company Kitchen.” I’m guessing something like this would not be legal in Oregon either.

You know those craziest, stupid law lists that random groups share once in-awhile… I promise you every state is on it.

It’s like three degrees this morning, 30 mph winds, and I my car is nearly empty.

I wish that Virginia still had gas attendants.

I have the car for the first time in a month or so, so I got to fill up my tires this morning as part of my husbandly duties. Good times in Minneapolis, lemme tell ya.

New photo by Adam Biessener

Yeah, I have a coworker who just moved to the upper Midwest from Berkeley. I can assure you he has been the subject of much teasing over his softness ;)

My car wouldn’t start this morning. I had to push it down the driveway to free up the other car in the carport, and then drive that car through my front yard to get to work. Not the way I like to start my day!

If people were meant to live in places where it got cold they would have fur, real fur, not just middle eastern hairy guy fur.

This happened to my son’s car heading out to an appointment the other day, and he also had to roll the car back in neutral to make room for me to pull my car out of the garage and jump it. Such a PITA. We’ve been driving around on the highway for 10-20 minutes a night to ensure a full charge for the over night times since then, and it’s been helping.

You are supposed to stand there, however, in case of problems. And not get in and out of your car while pumping, due to static electricity. Those pumps do blow up sometimes.

No one is getting in and out of the car… that’s part of the benefit of this. I have zero worries about that pump blowing up on me because the guy or gal isn’t standing there while it pumps. That’s silly. If you are going to blow up the gas station and car, a spider and lighter is required.

I had a similar issue, soI just bought one of these, and am happy I did:

When I worked at gas station we had:

1. a lady drive away with pump hose still attached
  2. several people spray their cars or themselves with gas, or spill a bunch of gas
  3. trash can next to pump catch fire due to thrown cigarettes
  4. (unrelated) rednecks shove the hind parts of a deer into a trash can

LUCKILY NO ONE WAS INJURED OR DIED!!! (except the deer of course)

They might have safety in the law somewhere, but I am pretty sure, at this point. it’s convenience and low wage jobs.

Is it customary to tip gas pumpers?

I think is actually a great idea for low wage jobs, like greeters at Wal-mart.

My issue with all this comes from seeing (just) some of the incredibly entitled babies on Twitter who seemingly cannot comprehend having to pump their own gas. I’d react the same if these same people were upset they had to start their own cars on a cold morning, or be expected to flush their own toilets, though, it’s not directly because it’s gas pumping.