Stupid shit you see on Facebook

No it is not. Like I said above, i’ve tried to do it around Christmas because it’s cold and just to spread the cheer, several of the non-traditional stations, at the time, had policies that prevent employees from taking tips.

I am sure we all know that loudest are not the majority. They’re overreacting…

I enjoy not having to get out of my car, but I also don’t mind paying extra so a handful of people can get a job. Heck a few guys I knew who had those jobs… not sure they’d ever get another one, sadly. The requirement is pretty low. However, it’s been hinted it’s a nice step in the door at Costco. Also though, the off hours can be nice for students but it can be somewhat dangerous at night. They almost always have two people though, the one at the pump and the one in the store.

I have seen that done. She didn’t get very far.

Why didn’t she get far? Did a cop shoot her?

I’m not really buying the jobs argument, though. These types of jobs, unless you live in a place where they mandate really high minimum wages (and even then it’s likely to be dicey) usually don’t pay enough to, you know, actually live on.What they do is is provide business owners with super-cheap labor to profit off of.

If you want to provide jobs, a properly run government public works program would be a hell of a lot more productive for all concerned.

The hose is designed to break when this happens, which I failed to clarify. I suppose this sometimes doesn’t happen.

Between the hose breaking and people yelling at her she just didn’t get very far.

Have you ever owned a gas station? The margins on gas is pretty poor. They rely a lot on store sales. The min wage is higher than federal and set to automatically go up. You don’t have to buy anything. Feel free to make up whatever you reason you want as to why NJ and OR have these laws.

A little over the top, but at least this is an Oregonian unlike most the commentators.

No hill too small. No point too insipid.

Can always rely on you to make things personal.

Every time I drive down to Portland, (2 or 3 times a year) I forget about this weird law at least once during the trip and get the stink-eye from an attendant. I apologize for the mistake and let them finish pumping, but I want to say, “You’re the ones with the goofy law.”

I guess I just don’t understand the mandatory nature of it. Hey, if you need or want someone to pump your gas, have at it. I don’t see why I need to wait for a “pro” to do it.

Same here where we pump our own gas. Having someone to pump our gas wouldn’t make any difference other than in raising our gas prices. Gas stations make their money now by being mini-marts and fast-food places. They charge for air now!

That article is pretty funny:

In all sectors of service, there are levels of luxury. Some food is served out of food trucks, some is served at a counter. Generally, the best food is delivered to you by an attendant well versed in the ways of the cuisine who smiles and makes sure you’ve got everything you need. Could it be the rest of the country is mad they don’t have access to the fine-dining equivalent of gasoline?

Haute gasoline!

Still, employment of any sort drives down supply of cheap labor in other areas meaning that wages must go up in other areas. I am generally not against these sorts of laws since the price increase on gas is marginal.

“Ah, I see that madam is wearing her ‘Adidas’ sweat pants today. Then may I recommend an eighty-four octane mixture with a tenth of ethanol? This particular vintage was distilled in Galveston from Iraqi crude hand-pumped by Kurdish workers from the sands southwest of Kirkuk. It should pair nicely with your Goodyear tires.”

Has the original reason been lost to time?

I poked around and found the law, which is interesting to read, as it does provide their justifications. Whether those justifications are valid or not is probably better left to be discussed between citizens of Oregon and their lawmakers.

Whoa. Are you saying air used to be free? It’s always been a charge since I’ve had to use it.

I lol’ed. (I am one of the above mentioned that travels to NJ periodically to see in-laws, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS screws up by getting out of the car at stations there)

Pretty sure none of these license plates are from Oregon either.

California has a law forces gas stations to provide free air. I assume other states have (or had) similar laws too. But in my experience, most don’t.

Heh, one of those doesn’t even look like it’s from the USA.

Just as a public service announcement, since I didn’t know this until I was like, 30… but virtually every car has a little arrow on the gas gauge, which points to the side of the car where the gas tank is.

Useful to know when you’re in a rental car.

Every Sheetz has a free air compressor.

Goddamn I fucking love Sheetz.