Styx: Master of Shadows - Cyanide, stealth, play the goblin

Whoah. Stealth pre-launch for a stealth game, I guess.

Prowl through the huge, miles-high Tower of Akenash, completing various missions (assassination, information recovery, etc.) and avoiding detection. Progress in the shadows, assassinate your targets in close combat, or orchestrate «accidents». RPG mechanics let you unlock new powerful skills, impressive special moves, and an optimized equipment. Amber will grant you spectacular powers such as invisibility, «amber vision», and the ability to clone yourself. Explore the levels to discover every bit of information about your past, and steal prized treasures to acquire equipment upgrades. Embrace the shadows!

As cool as that looks–and it looks very cool indeed–my enthusiasm is tempered by it being an offering from Cyanide.

I can’t think of anything they’ve done that’s not been fatally flawed.

It’s Cyanide so I’m cautious, but it sure is pretty and I do like the sound of it. Plus it’s only a $30 game. Here’s to hoping it turns out to be good.

He’s looking into my soul.

-Todd

Yeah, that lost me to. Cyanide - Where Good Game Ideas Go To Die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cg0eGuJqUM

Three YT reviews, all positive. The only negative point that is repeated is that there is a obligatory combat scene which you can’t escape if a soldier discovers you, and you have to parry the attacks to survive (or die trying).

Here’s a couple more reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NfbsG71cy0 [Elder Geek]

I’m cautiously optimistic. The potential for the controls to be badly done worries me, but at $24 I might give it a try regardless. I really like the idea of a stealth game where, like the original thief series, resorting to combat usually gets you killed. Stealth or die trying…

If this quote from the HardCoreGamer review is accurate then I am psyched since Metal Gear Solid 3 is one of the best games ever created. It might be hyperbole as I wasn’t considering a comparison of that nature or a link to the idiosyncratic Metal Gear experience but it raised my eyebrow.

Despite a few rough edges, Styx: Master of Shadows deserves a place alongside Metal Gear Solid 3, Hitman: Blood Money, and Mark of the Ninja as one of the best titles the genre has to offer.

-Todd

I think he is just name dropping good stealth games, using three different examples (mgs is console game, Hitman BM is more social stealth, Mark of the Ninja is a platform game/stealth).

Okay, that makes sense. While all stealth games to some extent, they all offer very different experiences. However, that is a bold claim to say that Styx is one of their peers. I hope that claim has some merit.

-Todd

It’s still Cyanide. I’l wait for more impressions, and then a sale if they are positive.

It’s only $30, so if they’re positive enough I’ll buy it without a sale. I just need to read/see some really good stuff, because it is Cyanide.

Hardcore game gave Styx a 90, but the other reviews range from 75 to 50. I wouldn’t expect great things from this one.

Yeah, I’m glad HardCoreGamer liked it, but since I haven’t foggiest notion who or what HardCoreGamer is…Giza Pyramid-sized grain of salt.

They’re freakin’ hardcore, isn’t that enough?!?

Penguins are drawn to the water, because they want to dive in and hunt for fish. The problem is, the water is dangerous, because it might conceal an orca just waiting to gobble down a nice tasty penguin.

So mobs of penguins will crowd around the edge of the ice floe, waiting for some brave penguin to dive in and test the waters. And if no brave penguin appears, well then the penguins jostle each other around for a while. Sooner or later some penguin accidentally-on-purpose gets pushed in.

The question is, who are we gonna push in on this one?

The folks that want to know where all the Orc women are!

I’ll be your Huckleberry.

I just finished downloading last night. I won’t really be able to dig into this until later in the week or on the weekend though. I’ll report back to my tuxedo-wearing brethren if an orca doesn’t eat me.

-Todd

Wot I think up on RPS.

That sounds intriguing, but terrible.

This makes the game tense and the stealth meaningful, but combines with the game’s major flaw, in that it’s also often repetitive and frustrating. That flaw is the controls.

Yup. Cyanide.