Submerged Liquid Cooling

This is just beautiful:

This is possible using the 3M Novec 7000, a non-conductive liquid with a boiling point of 34C.
The above example uses absolutely no fans, so the only sound would probably come from the slight bubbling/boiling. Steampunk PC is here!
An engineer combined the liquid solution seen above with a radiator (no pump), allowing for high overclocks:

here’s the guy’s website:
http://www.vaporphaze.com/

found a promo video for a server solution:

Have no idea if this is any good, seems legit (?)

Puget built a submerged system a few years ago: http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

oil is old hat. and disgusting :s

EDIT: The cool thing about the 3M Novec 7000 liquid is that it can dissipate 500w per litre, so an ITX setup is possible with it as opposed to oil setups which have are aquarium huge.

Heh, I remember some guy had a rig on ChipGeek’s overclocker’s hall of fame, ages ago, with some stupidly overclocked celeron in mineral oil.

I’m glad I read to the bottom of the thread here, because Mashakos answered the question that I had, which was “how is this better than mineral oil”. So it’s because the crazy 3m chemical has a lower boiling point and can dissipate heat better? And is presumably less gross?

are you genuinely asking?

similar results to water cooling, more effective in smaller spaces with no moving parts and complicated assembly (at least for a case designed for submerged cooling)

no moving parts: no fans, no pumps.

being useable in ITX form factor is a big deal

no need for water blocks / heat sinks, but preferable for high overclocks

no risk of congealing like, you know, OIL??! Easier to clean because of this. Non-toxic

I don’t have a horse in this race because I think it’s all pretty silly, but I did want to bring up that you need it to get awfully cold to congeal mineral oil. Sure, it can happen, but it’s not too darn likely. It’s solidifying point is -30C. We’re not talking grease or something like that, after all.

There is one large drawback: If you thought making a system water-tight was a pain, try making it gas-tight.

I wonder why the liquid has such a high boiling point. Is from the need for the liquid to be both non-conductive and non-toxic (and relatively affordable)?

There are some avionics boxes using a similar idea - a sealed box that cools the internals via a spray cooled chassis. My current program has one system that uses this tech - we’ll see how it flies later this year. It’s not exactly the same idea as the OP, but I am willing to bet they share a similar problem with contamination. That shouldn’t be a problem for our application as any repairs will be done at the OEM. This would be more problematic for the home PC builder though. Really interesting stuff.

-CJ

cooking oil tends to solidify if it’s not regularly heated / stirred. Is mineral oil different in any way from this?

I know, that’s why I only see this viable for either really enthusiastic enthusiasts or as an option by boutique PC builders where they sell you a specially designed case that is hermetically sealed for the motherboard area but has a drive cage.

<looks at a bottle of olive oil that has stayed in my cabinet for the last three years and yet hasn’t solidified one iota> I’m going to go with “yes”

not sure about the correlation between toxicity and the boiling point, but having a boiling point of 34C is perfect for PC hardware (and probably most modern electronics).

It’s all about keeping the molecular weight down so the EPA does not consider it to be an upper-atmospheric contaminant, where it can undergo plenty of reactions to wreak havoc with the ozone layer, as well as contributing to global warming. I’m not convinced it’s a perfectly environmentally safe material, but I haven’t done the research.

This stuff is not really comparable to oil, as oil transfers heat away from the electronics by pumping, and this material is boiled off from the components just like the refrigerant in your, uh, refrigerator. It still needs to be condensed, and the apparatus at the top of the case in the video does just that. Heat still needs to be transferred away, and he’s using a fan to disperse the heat into the air.

I wonder if this thing has a safety release valve. Otherwise, If the peltier condenser fails, doesn’t this thing explode?

the thing at the top in the 2nd video looks like a fanless radiator to me.

Isn’t it a peltier cooler condensing the steam back into a liquid? And if it stops working, doesn’t the steam just keep building up pressure until the box explodes?

the guy mentions that it’s a radiator i.e a passive set of copper coils where the gas condenses naturally.