Subnautica: Below Zero (2020, Unknown Worlds)

1.0 nears, price increase first week of January 2021.

Showing $16 for me on the humble store with my monthly sub discount.

Epic GS had it for $10 over the summer.

I’m still too creeped out to finish the first game. Stuck deep down in a cave, saw the dragon what-nots and did a 180 and never went back. But this looks GORGEOUS

Awe , the first game was so good, and that ending! :)

Thanks for the heads-up… I’ll buy it before the price increase! Probably along with something else in the Winter Steam Sale.

Gah, if I buy it, I’m gonna play it. Subnautica was easily one of my favorite games ever.

Edit: Dammit, bought. I’m upset at all the fun I’m about to have. ;(

It should be $10 right now if the coupon works. I’ll try this evening.

edit: coupon works, just bought it. Mentioned it in the EGS thread too.

I’ve been waiting for 1.0 to drop. Hopefully they fixed the framerate issues with the vanilla game.

Loved the first one, except towards the end with the trench. How does this one compare to the first?

I played it a bit in a pretty early access state, so things may be different now. For me personally, it didn’t manage to capture that lightning in a bottle the first game had. The vehicles are different, and to me, not nearly as good, there is a lot more land based game play now, which I don’t care for at all, and the world itself seems to about 1/4 the size of the original.

This game “feels” so amazing when you’re in the water, that’s just not the case on land. It really takes you out of the zen of the game to be running around on land so much. Add to that, that quite a bit of the land based stuff you have to do is highly annoying.

/shrug. For me, everything they tried to “improve” on from the first game, is sort of a failure.

Thanks. Looks like I’ll wait for it to be included in a humble bundle, or given away on Epic. Then it can sit in the stack of games that I’ll never get around to.

Opposing viewpoint go! The first five hours are pretty much Subnautica V2. I haven’t gotten to the land bits, but the water bits are more of the glorious same. Unfortunately I’m much better at it now so it’s not quite the novelty factor of Sub, but it’s fantastic.

I’ve only lightly played as I’m trying to avoid spoiling it too much but I agree here. To balance more on-land they incorporated heat/cold into the game. So even on-land you can’t stay out forever, akin to diving anyway.

As for the underwater parts, I’ve seen less colorful beauty of the first game and more subdued depths. The entire palette is darker this go round. There are still some cute and scary parts but it’s quicker into the, “oh crap we’re going really deep and that thing is huge,” part.

The story, however has a lot more to it, from initial takes anyway.

More experiences to come soon as it sounds like January may be release time?

Yusssss! Version 1.0 on May 14th.

I’m really looking forward to this. I got to the point during EA that the game said “We don’t wanna spoil the ending so… cya!”

I’m also amped for this. Haven’t seen anything besides a few trailers, loved the first one.

Wow I am finding that trailer to be a pretty big turnoff actually. I enjoyed the exploration in the first game and certainly there were survival elements and hostile environments present, it didn’t seem as front and center as this game appears to be.

Based on my time with the early access version, the exploration vibe is very similar to the first game. There might be slightly more hostile lifeforms to navigate around, although that may just be due to the directions I explored in.

Don’t shy away, it’s 90 percent the original Subnautica with new storylines and a new map. The land based modes are initially disconcerting and take a bit of a leap to get used to, managing cold like you manage oxygen underwater, but still more of the same goodness.

I read several people saying it isn’t as good as the original, so my expectations are tempered a bit.